New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR Stalking Weekend Details
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian, you northern boys could always stash your gear in my room at the travelodge for the time being,

Happy to help,

best regards Chris

One of Us
Picture of Artemis.
posted Hide Post
Ian,

I think it may be worth mentioning a few words regarding Travelodge vs firearms etc.

ie... firearms, lots of men in green tights (Uh-hmmm, I mean goretex Big Grin )and Travelodge receptionists sometimes don't make a great combination!!!

Just a thought, it may have already been covered off!

Affordable Holiday Accommodation in Devon, UK - Self catering (with shooting if required) PM for details.

Posts: 88 | Location: Sunny Devon, UK | Registered: 07 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Pete,

NOTHING is worse than early mornings!! I was out yesterday and it was a 4am start. It took me an hour to get onto the shoot because of the volume of deer out and about. There was a corking buck out too that would have done you nicely for your "representative" head collection... Wink

Anyway guys looks like we are pretty close. as Artemis says, with regards to rifles in the hotel. Please be discreet. If they can stay in cars while waiting at meeting times it would make things a lot easier.

It was indeed very cold this weekend. starting temp when I got in the car was -3C and I got snowed on!! Anyway for those that are from out of town, layers and hat/gloves/face veil are all handy both in the central heating stakes and the Camo stakes.

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A very good point.

There have been some reports of receptionists at these Motels getting nervous at the thought of firearms being brought onto the premises. In one case, an area manager was called and the shooters asked to move on!

I have never had a problem, however, am discrete when bringing firearms into a motel. I usually book in - then make a second trip to bring in the gun case. That, or leave the case secured in the car - minus ammo and bolt.

Has not been a problem to date - but the thought of having to go find alternative accommodation due to one upset and confused receptionist..... makes tact a good thing!

Rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Husqvarna M98:
Brian, you northern boys could always stash your gear in my room at the travelodge for the time being,

Happy to help,

best regards Chris

Chris thanks for that. I was hoping to get booked in, unload the gear and get changed before we head off. Didn't want to be travelling in my hunting clothes/boots.

Just looking at the weather forecast, has anyone ever sat out in a highseat in chest waders and wading jacket?

Neoprene chesty's might be an idea...

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My friends, I have bad news.
I´m still stuck on the oil rig due to weather problems, helicopters can´t fly.
Already two days of flying canselled, so most likely I will not be home before friday.

That mean I can´t make Baldoc.
I´m in a sad state right now, have really been looking forward to this Frowner
But hopefully I will be able to take a trip over at some other time.
Still got some unsetteled business with some muntjacs and a fox, as Artemis know all about...

I whish you all a great weekend, and I expect a full report with lots of pictures.

Best regards

Arild

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Arild,

I'm genuinely sorry to hear that as I was looking forward to seeing you again.

The good news is that you have a permit for the best part of a year so we can sort something out for you on the stalking front later in the year even if it is just to come and visit my patch.

Best regards,
Kiri

One of Us
Picture of Artemis.
posted Hide Post
Arild,

I'm sorry too... was looking forward to you connecting with Mr Fox this time ;o) But will be sure to see you in the near future I hope.

Brian,

Chest waders??? Well there is one seat called 'The Cold Seat' I'll leave you to your imagination but chest waders may not be a silly idea Big Grin

Affordable Holiday Accommodation in Devon, UK - Self catering (with shooting if required) PM for details.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Can I voulenteer to not have the cold seat please!!!

Thanks,
FB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forecast does look a bit bleak. Pray for clear mornings with rain either finished or coming and likewise for the evening.

One of Us
Picture of Artemis.
posted Hide Post
Ummmmm...

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?day=2&zipcode=Baldock

Saturday - 47 mph gusts wind & Sunday 50mph??? Eeker

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/7days.asp

Well, this looks a little more hopeful Frowner But it does look as though we are going to enjoy a bit of a breeze!

Rgds Ian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Friday evening and Saturday morning & evening don't look to bad.

Sunday morning looks to be a write-off.

What a tragedy...... Big Grin

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bloody Birthday boys................. Smiler

Rgds Ian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No way I would let you have a sleep in whilst the rest of us are out there freezing and enjoying it..

/C

one of us
Picture of solvi
posted Hide Post
Got up early this morning, loaded 40. Shells for the 300WM.
165g HPBT Sierra Game king, in front of VV165 75.5g.
On my way to the airport after one hour, landing at Stansted at 18,55
See you all there dancing clap
Sölvi

Skype username
solvijoh

Posts: 497 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sierra dont make hollow point Game Kings ???

Posts: 103 | Location: England | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of solvi
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plane leaves in 3hrs.hope sun not a washout.Sierra does make HP GKs ill bring one.BEST,kim

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KimR:
Plane leaves in 3hrs.hope sun not a washout.Sierra does make HP GKs ill bring one.BEST,kim

well at the moment the sun is beaming down and its lovely and warm,just loaded and cleaned my pick up to ferry to guys about so bring your carpet slippers please thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

well you learn something everyday,just make sure the little deer stand broadside BOOM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well bags packed, rounds loaded and rifle cleaned, not long now Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 290 | Location: N.Ireland | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just packed the case.

Need to give the rifle a wipe down and clean the lens of the scope.

Will be at the airport at 8.00am tomorrow.

Divorce proceedings will greet my return.. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Hope none of you guys are flying with BA into the new Terminal 5 at Heathrow..If so, you might get your luggage about Sunday! Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn - but this is frustrating.

Arrived on the Thursday with Artemis, met up with Kiri and had a quick wander around the area.

Many of the high seats have been fed regularly and the area is COVERED with sign. A gorgeous day, we passed three groups of Fallow numbering about 75 deer in total. The animals are definitely on the ground and waiting to be taken!

Went back to the hunting lodge and checked the rifles from a freestanding highseat - from four metres above the ground. Nice and stable, and gives a great idea of how it will feel to shoot from a stand.

Kiri (yes, he really does bustle around the kitchen just wearing a 'pinny') unloaded enough food to satisfy a small African village and the stage is set!

Frustrating? Well, with everything in place - the weather looks to be closing down! Frowner

In the best traditions of EVERY safari camp I have ever been to............' You should have been here yesterday! Smiler

The story continues....
Rgds Ian

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
just checked the weather on the site you gave above Ian, forecast of little rain but its quite gusty at around 20mph. bit of rain predicted for sunday same sort of winds.

Have a good one chaps and i'm looking forward to the stories!

Best Regards,

Amir

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh Yesssssssssssss! Smiler

The Red Gods have smiled on the AR'ites gathered at Baldock. The weather has moderated from gale warnings with driving rain - to blue skies and a brisk 15 mph wind.

The deer have been encouraged by this and have been very much in evidence.

Doubtless, there will be in depth posts revealing all but suffice to say this......

Putting aside the great food, new friends and awesome social - at this, the half way point of the weekend....... our 14 hunters have put 39 deer in the larder!!!! dancing

Rgds from the FIRST AR EURO CONVENTION

Ian Smiler

one of us
Picture of solvi
posted Hide Post
[ ]

Skype username
solvijoh