Notify
Tools

AR Stalking Weekend Details
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Claret_Dabbler:
Why do I think I am likely to give the Sunday morning stalk a miss??

beer

A birthday party hit my mind ? Big Grin

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arild Iversen:
quote:
Why do I think I am likely to give the Sunday morning stalk a miss??

beer

A birthday party hit my mind ? Big Grin

yes indeed we have a double B'day celebration on the Saturday night. I'm just working on something to make it a memorable one for the chaps....

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KimR:
OOPS,will try to work up a load w SMKs if i have time.thanks for the heads-up.too bad the Bergers shoot in the.3s

Neither are the sierra match kings...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I belive Kim adjusted that to intend SGK later on,

The SGK:s are all right, right?

/C

quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
quote:
Originally posted by KimR:
OOPS,will try to work up a load w SMKs if i have time.thanks for the heads-up.too bad the Bergers shoot in the.3s

Neither are the sierra match kings...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Smiler Yep - SGK are fine under UK legislation!

Rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
** NEW INFO **

Folks

As has been mentioned, our hunting area holds both Muntjac and Fallow deer in good numbers.

We now also have access to an estate where the deer have not been shot for some years. I am told the numbers of Muntjac have got to a point where there is significant damage.

Can I have names please of those hunters who would be MORE interested in Muntjac than Fallow deer. (Decisions, decisions!)

We will then try & ensure that those most interested in these little deer - get the best chance of seeing them!

Obviously, not every one has access to Muntjac & trophy quality is likely to be better at this location, should that be a consideration to you.

Not long to go now.........!

Rgds Ian Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Ian

I have just checked with Griff and both he and I would have a preference to stalk Muntjac if that's ok.

Thanks

Jon

PS do the same trophy fees apply as Baldock?

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Silly question perhaps but are there trophy fees for muntjac as well?

I must have missed out on that part, I know about the antlered Fallows..

Btw I will take a backseat on this, let the others express there interests.

/Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
Husky

At present confirming the fees - and will post so that if you feel inclined you can bring some cash.

I recall that in both cases, small antlered males were not chargeable.

Rgds Ian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian I would like at least 1 Munty as I have never shot or even seen them before, but I would like to know the fees as they hav'nt been talked about.

Posts: 290 | Location: N.Ireland | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put me down for the Muntjac preference as well please,
as we don"t have them here(officially!)
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Put me down for the Munty's also.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a Muntjac in the wild and never had the chance to hunt one - I would be interested in this opportunity.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

We are currenlty trying to get clarification on the trophy fees applicable for both species. As I mentioned in my first post there will be trophy fees for both species although small cull bucks will bot be charged for either.

We're trying to simplify the issue as far as possible and we'll post a schedule this week. For what it's worth the anticipated fees for a very good Muntjac head are good value IMHO, it is the cost for smaller bucks and the Fallow that we want to get ironed out in order that we all know where we stand.

At present, and as we have said before, neither I nor Ian have seen a Fallow head that we would consider of trophy quality on the ground. That's not to say they don't exist we just have not seen them. As such please manage your expectations in this regard. However there are a few good Munties taken each year from this ground so if you are that way inclined then there is a fair chance you may see one.

I would reccomend that as this is primarily a cull hunt and the object of the exercise its to put beasts in the chiller, that if opportunities arise for cull bucks and does then they are shot. Holding out for a trophy buck to turn up and running the risk of not shooting anything can be a tricky strategy!!

With regards to the Trophy fees, the payment of them to the estate will be required in cash please. Daily cash point limits and a rural location means that you should bring enough cash with you to cover what you would like to shoot if possible to avoid any hassle.

We should have the final price list by the end of the week.

Rgds,
FB

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hi All,

We are drawing close now, so here are the address and contact details for the travel lodge.

Baldock Travel Lodge

A few people have asked for the estate address. All I can say is that it is near te Travel Lodge so I suggest we meet in the Foyer at noon. Please be discreet with hardware and if you have a car then please place rifles in it rather than drawing too much attention to ourrselves. If you don't have a car then I'm sure one of the others will help out.

We will take you to the lodge for the safety briefing and the shooting test. We are looking for a 3" group (3 shots) on the home range from a high seat position. Each group of 4-5 shooters will do the test and then move on. This in not an opportunity to check zero's etc, so any grouping or zeroing issues can be dealt with later.

We will then split everyone into their groups for the evening stalk and allocate a guide to each group.

The rest should be a piece of cake!! Wink

Best regards,
FB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can I ask the British based guys who are driving to the estate to chuck any spare rifle sleeves that they may have into the car.

Most of us flying in will have rifles in hard cases which are a pain to deal with.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Good point Brian,

Although you might be able to fold one up and put it in you luggage. I'll put a coupe of extras in if I remember.

Rgds,
FB

one of us
posted Hide Post
About taxi from Stansted to the Travelodge, I got an offer from A1 Cars,... 69 euros.
Mail adress : a1cars@btconnect.com

Did check a couple of others, they seen to be in the same price range.
Guess I go for the offer from A1 Cars.
They do meet and greet with a sign with my name on...always wanted that Big Grin

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can I ask the British based guys who are driving to the estate to chuck any spare rifle sleeves that they may have into the car.

Most of us flying in will have rifles in hard cases which are a pain to deal with.

the vehicles being used will be mainly pick up trucks so a hard case will be OK in the back,so dont worry about it

Posts: 103 | Location: England | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks

I have had confirmation of the fees for shooting Bucks..... they are very fair indeed.

I will post them to the private thread and ask that you do not put them out to public viewing - this will assist the landowner in maintaining his commercial advantage!

Any queries, please contact me directly by PM.

Rgds Ian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ian,
That takes the pressure off, I would be confident in shooting a Muntjac now without haveing to worry about big fees.
Any thoughts on trophy preparation? Is it possible to fly with a head, or do you know any taxidermists locally? I could always put one in handluggage and say it"s my lunch!
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muntjac heads (& CWD) travel well when slipped into a couple of ziplock bags (previously purchased) and inserted carefully into the toe of a hunting boot.

This technique is not so effective should you still be wearing said boot!

From memory, the club has a vac packer that makes such things a little easier.

Now, some smart arse is going to ask if he should bring a pair of hip waders as he hopes to get a Fallow! Smiler

Keep well - and see you soon.

Rgds Ian

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,

Pete's been thinking with his stomach again, (SURPRISE!!!!) and he was under the impression that there was a breakfast included in the room rates. I cannot find anything on my hotel booking confirmation but could you check your confos and see if this is the case.

Thanks,
FB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kiri.
No breakfast confirmation on my booking eighter.
I do not think the Travelodge have any breakfast facilities at all, I only saw a vendor machine in the recepotion area.
There is The Little Chief Cafeteria nex door to the Travelodge though.

Arild Iversen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well if that is so, then I am in for some bad luck, I ordered brekkie for friday morning from the Travelodge,

When online booking a room it was about a 2.5 £ extra to get the breakfast,

However is there is a coffie shop next door, who care, food can always bee had, right.

/C

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
No worries then, we will be putting together a pile of bacon and sausages and rolls and eggs and and and.....Smiler

I just thought for a moment that I'd messed up along the way.

Incidentally we will also be putting something together for Friday afternoon to snack on while waiting for the shooting test etc.

Rgds,
Kiri

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I recall right, Pauls home made bacon and sausages where of an oustanding quality beer

I have great trust in our Chef, not to let us perform on empty stomach.

Arild Iversen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Husqvarna M98:
well if that is so, then I am in for some bad luck, I ordered brekkie for friday morning from the Travelodge,

Mmmmmm - breakfast in a bag! Smiler

Maybe we can find something a bit better eh?

Rgds Ian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hahahahah

Ian you are right, however, between an empty stomach and brekkie in bag in stomach my belly wotes for option nr 2.

That´s how I was thinking at the time..

/Chris

quote:
Originally posted by IanF:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Husqvarna M98:

Mmmmmm - breakfast in a bag! Smiler

Maybe we can find something a bit better eh?

Rgds Ian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Weather forecast for next weekend, what will it be like?
Do I have to pack insulated Gore Tex or what?

Can hardly belive we´re almost there Big Grin clap beer

Arild Iversen.

posted Hide Post
Arild,

Over the weekend we've had a bit of a cold snap with the day time temps dropping to around freezing in a lot of places, which I guess is still shorts and tee shirt weather for you guys! Big Grin Big Grin

Seriously, as we will be static in highseats I think everybody should be prepared for the cold and wet..

The one consolation is that no matter how cold you feel, FB will be feeling it worse! He doesn't do "cold" at all..I suspect "cold" is even worse than "early mornings" for him! Big Grin Big Grin

Regards Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep checking to this site throught the week:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2606

This is for Luton which is a few miles away.

Plan on wet and cold.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a slightly more detailed breakdown - normally pretty accurate!

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/7days.asp

Here's hoping for a change in the weather!

Rgds Ian

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK - breaking news! Smiler

The owner of the hunt club has just been in contact and mentioned that there is an opportunity for some folks to chase Chinese Water Deer, should this be of interest!

For those that have not seen them, they are unique in that instead of antlers they sport vampire-like tusks of up to 10-15cm. I believe that this area of the UK offers one of the only huntable wild populations in the world.

Rates will be by negotiation, but rest assured they will be very reasonable for this species. Should you be interested, the club owner will discuss prices at our initial meet up.

KIT

My thoughts tend to run like this:

Please, remember to bring license and proof of insurance. No documents - no hunting.

Bring a mobile phone (set on vibrate!) as a contact list will be handed out. An SMS with your results helps arrange return transport and carcass pickup.

A small head torch is a great idea for your pocket, easing extraction and carcass handling in the evening.

Expect, and dress for a lovely combination of wind, low temperature and damp conditions. Remember you will be static and these conditions leach your body warmth like nothing else. A face veil or muffler adds comfort as well as muting the white of your face. Warm gloves are a must.

A flat nylon drag strap (I get mine from a luggage tie down) is worth having available when it comes to moving Fallow carcasses.

The ground is flat, but can be wet and muddy. Warm and waterproof footwear is the way to go.

Getting close now folks - Smiler can't wait, as it's going to be fun!

Rgds Ian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the weather info Gentlemen.
Guess I better pack my long undies then Smiler

Ian.
The CWD sounds very interesting.
What size are they...like the muntjac?

Arild Iversen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Arild

I think of them as mid way between Munti and Roe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_deer

http://www.bds.org.uk/chinese_water_deer.html

They have the same sort of 'wedge of cheese' aspect, with a downward slope from rump to shoulder.

Very loose hollow hair - not uncommon for the location of the shot to be marked by a fan of hair on the ground!

Rgds Ian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just booked the Travel lodge. Damn booking says you can't book in until 3.00pm.

Much use that is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When are you arriving Brian?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
make sure you guys take lots of photos,it looks like you've got a great weekend planned Smiler

Posts: 58 | Location: Oslo,Norway | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian, the boys from the "north" will be in Luton before 11.00am. Getting a hire car to drive to Baldock, should be there noon latest.