New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR Stalking Weekend Details
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good weekend with good bunch of blokes anyone fancy having a whip round for my travelling expenses and I`d be there, oh yes, you`d probably need to have a whip round for my divorce settlement too..
Good luck all, I expect Brass thief will bring all his luck with him lol

Posts: 203 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 337 | Location: Devon UK | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 337 | Location: Devon UK | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
New thread below refers! Smiler
Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hi All,

We have a few outstanding payments for the AR hunt so I'm just giving a gentle nudge, as we need to get the application process underway for the import permits.

Some of you have explained the delay and that is fine but for the others that are a bit ditsy like me... Wink I would like to get things wrapped up ASAP so the admin can be dealt with and the estate paid.

Thanks,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hi All,

I thought it would be about time to write an update on this.

At present we are all accounted for except 2 persons that I'm working with as we need to get some paperwork done. So it looks good.

I saw a post a while ago that I think has been deleted about clothing etc.

March can vary significantly in temperatures. It could be warm in the 10c-15c bracket or we could have snow on the ground. this is really just my own ideas and by no means set in stone, so don't feel obliged. Items worth having are the Following:

1) Binoculars ar always handy for identifying animals discretely. The movement of a pair of bins is significantly less than that of a rifle being swung about. A good light gathering capability is helpfull for the Mng/Evening type shooting we will be doing.

2) Scope for the rifle. Again light gathering capability is a definate advantage. There will be no long range shooting but in a woodland setting with low light a 42mm Objective lens is probably as small as you want to go

3) Range Finder. This is really a case of personal preference. If you haveone I would think that in unfamiliar territory it is handy to range a few points to give you perspective on the ground.

4) A small water flask or even a small Thermos to take into the high seat with you. If it is cold and quiet a warm drink is the best company you can have...(Well almost.... Wink )

5) Ammunition. for the trip in total I would reccomend you have 30 rounds of ammunition. Now this isn't because we aim to remove every dear south of Newcastle, but it will allow you to re-zero should the need arise without worrying about only having limited ammunition.

6) Clothing. I would gofor waterproof trousers and jacket. I like a high collar on my jacket to keep the brreeze/rain off. A hat is probably vital and a pair of gloves are strongly reccomended to reduce your visibility when glassing. A face veil is optional, I occasionally wear one but not as a matter of course when in a seat. Camoflage is optional. I should think there will be an array of realtree on show but some of us stick with plain greens/browns. It's a matter of personal taste. If you wear anything too outragous then you will get laughted at!! Wink

7) Footwear. I prefer Walking boots to Wellingtons for this type of hunt. When we walk out in the dark, they give a little more support should you be on uneven ground. Calf length boots will give you the support you need as well as protecting from the odd deep puddle.

8) Field Dressing. As It stands we will be field dressing all the deer back in the larder. This is the policy of the estate so we adhere to their wishes . shoulld anyone be lucky enough to shoot a head they wish to cape off then they are welcome to do so. Help with the lardering will probably be appreciated in some form but we'll deal with that on the weekend. What is for sure is that extraction of shot beasts will be a group effort for each team with help avaialable should they need it, but 4 guys should be able to get a couple of fallow to their car fairly easily. Again we'll deal with these on the weekend briefing.

9) Safety. As I mentioned previously, each person will need to shoot a 3" goup out of a field position before being allowed out to hunt. This is an estate rule.

Other than that does anyone have and questions we can help with?

The Import permits will be going in as soon as the last couple of guys get their permits sorted. I'm thinking it will be towards the end of this month.

Best Regards,
FB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks FB,
Remind us again what we"re shooting? Fallow and Munties, both sexes/both species?
How about trophies/prices?
I have a presentable Fallow off geting mounted at the moment, but I would be interested in a Munty(most folks this side of the water will be interested in them over fallow I imagine, as we don"t have them)
looking forward to it!
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the update FB.

Glad to see that you didn´t go to Rio after all Wink

About camo / wellies... and I who was looking forward to show off my new camo Muck Boots and Cabelas Scentlockrealtreegoretexthinsulate parkas Frowner

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
FB, sounds good, maybe there should be some booby prize for the most cammo gear - socks, boxers etc??

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Artemis.
posted Hide Post
quote:
7) Footwear. I prefer Walking boots to Wellingtons for this type of hunt. When we walk out in the dark, they give a little more support should you be on uneven ground. Calf length boots will give you the support you need as well as protecting from the odd deep puddle.

Arild... remember the entrance of that field we got thoroughly stuck in one morning? I believe it involved Darren leading, me hanging onto him and you hanging on to me in the pitch black trying desperately not to fall over!!!

I for one will be wearing wellies, oh yessss!!! ;o)

Affordable Holiday Accommodation in Devon, UK - Self catering (with shooting if required) PM for details.

Posts: 88 | Location: Sunny Devon, UK | Registered: 07 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes Artemis, I remember. And you with your leaky old boots Big Grin

Actually we should have gone to the right entering that field, but hard to tell in the pitch black morning.
Poor Darren leading us into misery...

Same thing crossing that plowed field to the tower, wellies would have been a better choice.
Easier to hose the mud off as well.

Geuss I take my fancy new camo wellies after all thumb

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was me that posted and then deleted, thought perhaps I was a bit silly posting like I did.

It´s true though that I have had all this questions regarding the trip, after all it´s not that far off in the future now.

Thanks FB for all the good answers..

BTW field position and shooting what does that entail, standing, prone, sitting, supports?

I use shooting sticks almost all the time for shots farther than 80 meters.

Best regards Chris.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris

You will be shooting from a sitting supported position on this hunt.

All shooting to be done from the assigned 'high seats' due to liability and the flat terrain.

Rgds Ian Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IanF:
Chris

All shooting to be done from the assigned 'high seats' due to liability and the flat terrain.

Rgds Ian Smiler

Ian/FB

The current weather made me wonder what you'd do in such conditions? Is there a workable wet and windy weather plan (ie enough woodland seats) for the numbers of guns booked?

Not trying to be antsy - you may have it taped already.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sorts it, will we do the shooting profficiency test from a seat as well?

Best regards Chris

quote:
Originally posted by IanF:
Chris

Rgds Ian Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, yes, yes! Smiler

No point in seeing how tight a group folks can shoot from a sandbag - then letting them shoot off a rail! Smiler

rgds Ian

one of us
posted Hide Post
The current weather made me wonder what you'd do in such conditions? Is there a workable wet and windy weather plan (ie enough woodland seats) for the numbers of guns booked?
[/QUOTE]

1894 Obviously, foul weather will have an impact on any shooting. However, we have a choice of @ 54 high seats available, so should be able to make the best of such a situation.

Pray for clear, sunny mornings - cold nights and warm afternoons! Smiler

Rgds Ian

one of us
posted Hide Post
I second that Ian...Amen thumb

Arild Iversen.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
If it's raining, (And I mean really raining like we've had for the last week) I'l be doing this:

If that makes me a spineless lilly livered non-hunter then so be it.... Wink

BTW, Ian my car is so wet from last weekend that I've had ice on the inside every morning this week!!

Rgds,
FB

one of us
posted Hide Post
FB

Strangely, my hunting kit has only just stopped dripping onto the floor!

Hope that Eddie is still suitably festive - what are friends for, if not impromptu home redecoration!!??!!

However, if you think Artemis and I are trusting enough to go to work, leaving you the run of the house in our absence.... think again Buster!! jumping

rgds Ian

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to whish the Baldoc Clan a Happy New Year dancing

Guess the "get together" in March will be one heck of a weekend beer

My "trophy" from Baldoc in February Wink

Arild Iversen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been looking a flights and travel arrangements, is there any one traveling through with a flight or just happens to drive by Heathrow airport on the early hours of the 28:th?

I am having a hard time finding flight that will allow me to travel with my rifle and land at standstead, as I do belive was considered the prefered airport?

Advice please?

Best regards Chris

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Husqvarna,

What airport are you flying from and I'll have a look on my Bloomberg system here at work that shows all flights globally.

Realistically Heathrow isn't too bad to get to the shoot from. I would think an hour if you get a clear run.

Rgds,
FB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fallow,

For all and any purposes I am restricted to fly out of Stockholm Arlanda, Stockholm Bromma or Nyköping, Skavsta airports, other airports and I have to long of a commute here in Sweden to make the early bird flights, perhaps I should entertain the idea of flying in thursday evening/night instead.

It would be greatly appriciated it you could have a look to see if others means is easier.

What would be the best way of getting from the airport to Baldock? Retal car? Trains?

Best regards Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris.
I will be flying in to Stanstead thursday noon from Rygge Airport, south eastern Norway.
Only way I could make it.

From Stansted to Baldoc is approx 35 min with car. Plan to take a taxi.

Arild Iversen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arild, good then I have some intel to work from.

Best regards Chris

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Husq,

BA have a number of flights to Heathrow,( I think from Arlanda). I'm trying to save the screen to post it but my work system doesn't allow me to do so. SAS, BMI and Quantas also have flights buut again all to Heathrow

If the airport Arild suggests works for you, (I know different countries but I don't know if they are still close by...) the perhaps hooking up there might be an idea.

I'll try and post the flight schedule from home.

Indcidentally, for anyone it may concern, I looked into Taxi prices to/from Gatwick and they work out at £100 providing the pick up is after 7am.

Regards,
FB

one of us
Picture of solvi
posted Hide Post
Will there be any other than my, landing at Stanstead, in the morning, Friday 28 March?

Skype username
solvijoh

Posts: 497 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Can I also make one more suggestion for those of you looking for a taxi at the airport. Book a Minicab to pick you up, rather than taking one of the black taxi's at the airport. This will work out about half the priceor less as the black cabs are VERY expensive.

I would rather you spoke directly to a taxi firm and arranged your transfers so you have contact details and meeting points. I will be able to provide a few phone numbers for local minicab firms closer to the date though. They should be able to quote you in advance for the cost of both legs of your journey, although it is worth noting that they often charge for pparking time if your plane is delayed coming in.

Rgds,
FB

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hi All,

Someone mentioned the possibility of putting together some sort of competeition, and so I thought it might be an idea to see if we can get onto a local clay layout. Also to avoid the problem of everyone needing to bring a shotgun, and to even up the playing field I thought I might ask a freind of mine to bring a selection of old english hammerguns in various calibres.

We could perhaps have a small sweep (say a fiver) to cover his travel costs and a small trophy for the winner.

If you think this might be of interest post on here so we know if there are enough interested to talk to the clay ground.

Rgds,
FB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a plan. I had thought of bringing a shotgun, but it is a pain to travel with two guns. If the bulk of the day is down time, the boys are liable to sit all afternoon and get tanked.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,

One of the resons I would rather do it with the hammer guns is that apart from the fact that it's a bit different, it mean that we don't have a load of guns unattended while we're out stalking.

From a security point of view I think it is best if we don't have loads of firearms kicking about.

As for getting tanked.... it had to come from a paddy!! Wink

FB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in for shooting at a bit of clays, however I think that the price, for finishing last should be adequate small, small enough to fit in to my suitcase, since thats where I would end up any ways...

Good thinking there regarding the rifles all laying about.

/C

One of Us
posted Hide Post
anyone coming into Gatwick friday am?BEST,kim

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:
Hi Guys,

FB

Kiri, I resemble that racial stereotype, particularly as it is my birthday that day. beer

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Claret_Dabbler:
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:
Hi Guys,

FB

Kiri, I resemble that racial stereotype, particularly as it is my birthday that day. beer

Brian,

Having married one and after the last 2 years of Irish weddings, (not to mention a few years of fishing in the west) I think I'm ready to tackle the Irish birthday/shooting weekend combo...

However what I'm not ready for is the "Double whammy Irish Birthday - Shooting WeekendCombo" as if my notes are correct it is Brass' birthday that day too!!

So Saturday night is beer

And Sunday 4am is coffee

Of course if the Norweigians get involved then I'll be horse (the one on the left!!)

Incidentally the import application is in for those whom it concerns, and I'll keep you in touch with the developments there.

Rgds,
FB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kiri, my best drinking days are behind me, a bottle of plonk and a shot of single malt and I need 12 hours sleep.

I also hear Brass is a good-living tea-total, never on a Sunday typ of man.

Pressure is off.

You only need worry about the Vikings.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
You and me both mate and as for the Viking, (Arild) we'll just get him a hhorned hat two sizes too big so he can't see where we hid the bottle!!

Jokes apart guys I have been asked to mention by the owner that although we'll all partake in some beverages he does reserve the right to refuse to take someone out if they are too drunk or hungover to shoot in his opinion. No one wants to spend all day tracking someones botched shot. Eeker He's only asked me to mention it as he's had some issues before but We've assured him that won't be the case here.

I personally will be raising a small glass of Sherry to her Majesty's good health after dinner before retiring to bed by 8..... Wink

Rgds,
FB

one of us
posted Hide Post
I promise to behave Kiri, and as our royal house have roots in England, as well as I´m an ex army officer, I can join you on the Queen´s toast(s) beer

Arild Iversen.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Arild i'll find a suitable feather for your hat!!

In the mean time I got a call from the police yesterday and they are working on our permits, so I'm hoping to have them quite promptly.

I asked for them to be issued for a year, in case any one should wish to come back to the UK later in the year for some shooting.

Another thing to mention is that we need to make sure that everyone has their Third party Insurance. This is available through any of the shooting organisations such as BASC or the Countryside Alliance. Membership can be bought online and the documents will be e-mailed to you. This covers you in case yyou accidentally shoot a thoroughbred Muntjac-Horse or use something inappropriate as a backstop etc.

Best regards,
FB