THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    Victory: Denmark announces complete ban on lead in hunting ammunition

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Victory: Denmark announces complete ban on lead in hunting ammunition
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.birdlife.org/europ...d-hunting-ammunition

Victory: Denmark announces complete ban on lead in hunting ammunition

©Yves Adams
By Anton Gundersen Lihn, BirdLife Denmark

It has finally happened: Denmark has announced a complete ban on lead in hunting ammunition. The Ministry of Environment and Food of Denmark and the Danish Hunters’ Association made the announcement together. Following a transition period, the ban will be fully implemented in 2023.

With this decision, Denmark goes down in history as being the first country in the world to implement a national ban on lead in hunting ammunition. This is vitally important for nature in general, and birds in particular.
“Neither birds of prey, humans or any other animals should have their food spiced with heavy metals,” says Egon Østergaard, chairman of BirdLife Denmark.

“Lead poisoning is a health risk for the birds. We have put in a lot of work to persuade shifting governments to establish a complete lead ban, so of course we are pleased with a complete ban finally becoming reality.” BirdLife Denmark has reason to celebrate: they have been tirelessly campaigning to ban lead for years.

A bit of history: in 1996, Denmark was the first European country to completely ban lead shot for hunting. However, lead in rifle cartridges remained legal. But in 2019, the Danish Hunters’ Association backed BirdLife Denmark’s longstanding demand for a complete lead ban in hunting. And that was a gamechanger.

The Danish lead ban comes at a crucial point in time: the European Parliament is currently debating a ban on lead shot in Europe’s wetlands. A demand that is strongly supported by BirdLife Denmark.
“Hopefully the Danish ban can put pressure on the rest of the European Union’s Member States. The alternatives to lead shots are available and a ban on lead shots in the wetlands of Europe will make a huge difference for European birds”, says Egon Østergaard.

Even microscopic amounts of lead are poisonous to birds and other wild animals. Birds of prey are especially at risk as lead accumulates in the food chain.
Lead is poison for birds, biodiversity and people. Find out more about why the EU should #BanLead in our infographic on the matter.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Germany already banned it on State and Federal Forest.

I am sure most of the rest of Western Europe, Britain and Scandinavia will fall within the next 5 years.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Won’t hear complain from me

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
U.K. is following suit also. Lead shotgun cartridge ban in 2025 and I am sure rifle will follow with some places not buying deer unless shot with alternatives

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote