Find
Notify
Tools

A double first - roe buck.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

Not a massive head or huge body but he is my youngest son's first roe buck and first animal with his new Sauer 404 XT Carbon in 30.06 topped with a Zeiss V6 and shooting 170 grain Geco soft points.

Plus we have been after this small spiker since the season opened 1 May, having first seen him in March.

The young buck was 125 meters out slightly uphill with good back stop, quartering away and the shot was perfect entering low front left just behind the shoulder and exiting the front right shoulder after passing through the heart. Dropped on the spot.

A happy young hunter and a very happy father!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great job, Dad!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Well done guys

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Charlie, and son,
And big congrats on the first for the young hunter. A special moment for sure and maybe first steps on a long, enjoyable and productive journey.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perfect!! Big congratulations, great memories.

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulation to the Son for a proper shot and to the Father for training and culture.
Why such a heavy bullet? In two world wars the typical bullet weighed 150grs.
Are roes n that area more aggressive then Nazis, Japs and Chicoms?

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Ofbiro, Ignoring the last line in your post, the reason why such a heavy round is that he shoots wild boar with the 30.06 170 grain rounds (with great success) and sticks to that round inc the odd first roe deer. Rather than buying and sighting in a new round for lighter game. A bit of an exit wound but only ribs damage ......

Hannay, he loves the 404. Somewhat over engineered for my taste but he is studying engineering. Super light and acceptable 30.06 recoil. Plus the 'cool factor' amongst his hunting friends.....

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Well done, congrats and Waidmannsheil to him.

I used explicitly 180gr bullets in my '06, great caliber and does the trick on all game in Europe. I used a lot of Swift A Frames as they stay together and don't explode and blow shoulders and guts apart!

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Congratulation to the Son for a proper shot and to the Father for training and culture.
Why such a heavy bullet? In two world wars the typical bullet weighed 150grs."

I like to use midweight to heavy bullets in my .308w 165-180gr with a hard construction so they have at least 60% of the weight after they have hit a moose, they dont give so much damage in a small roe as the bullet keep together until it exit. We often hunt moose, wild boar, roe, and fallow at the same hunt. In august are both roebuck and bear allowed you dont want to come with a light bullet then.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote