New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammunition availability in Europe
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to hunt in Europe after this coronavirus mess is behind us. I have traveled with rifles and ammunition to Africa and Australia a number of times and everything arrived in fine shape. However, I would like to be prepared if my ammunition got lost. So I would like to ask our European members, or those who have hunted there, what calibers are readily available in Europe? I would like to hunt roe deer, fallow deer, chamois, mouflon, and ibex, and the countries I am interested in are Spain, France, Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria, and Hungary. A friend of mine hunted ibex in Spain a few years ago and said two of the most popular calibers there were the .270 Win. and .270 WSM. I would consider either US or European calibers. Thanks for your help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted Austria twice and Bulgaria just recently.

Both Vienna and Sophia the capital cities you will be flying into have good gun shops, better really than most have access to in the U.S.A.

Both shops in both Capitals carried all of Norma's loaded ammo. If Norma loads it, then they had it.

That said when you leave the Capital it is a 30/06, 308 Win, 7mm Remington, maybe depending on our guide 9.3X62 world. I have seen no other calibers in hunting areas but these. I listed them in most popular.

There is a Berretta Room in Paris. It is very small. They took over Holland and Holland's room. I do not remember seeing ammo, but they had shotguns.

Rifles I have taken: 375 Ruger, 270 Win, 7mm STW. I had my 7mmSTW arrive a day late both going to and coming back from Bulgaria. The ammo in a separate locked container in a checked bag as not been late.

Posts: 10793 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, "Europe" is not one country so it depends.
What might be more difficult is to be allowed to buy ammo. I.e. in many countries you need a local firearms licence to buy ammo.
However, common are .243, 6,5x55, .270 Win, .308, .30-06, 7x64, 8x57, 8x68S, .338 WM, 9,6x62, .300 WM, 7mm RM and various rimmed between 6,5mm and 9,3mm.
I believe in France past or current military calibers require a special licence - inc. the .223, 6,5x55, .308, .30-06 and 8x57.

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dale,
In Spain you will find ammo for any common caliber, American or European, any.
Most widely distributed brands are Norma, RWS, Remington, Hornady, VOR-TX, Winchester, and some Federal and Nosler.
If you need any, let me know and I will be glad to help.
We have lost the Spring season completely with this story of the COVID but hope we can hunt the Fall.
Regards from Spain
Alvaro

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Dale there is just about any ammo you can think of that you can get here - for example - here is a link to Frankonia - it is in German tho, on the left side under "Kaliber" click "mehr..." (meaning "more") and you will find all the factory loads by caliber available in central EU (actually there is even more available), meaning - if you let your host know in advance what you want/need - he will get it I am sure:

https://www.frankonia.de/jagd/...uechsen/Artikel.html

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In all the countries you list I'm sure virtually any calibre will be available - including some you've never heard of!

What will be more problematic will be whether or not you are permitted to buy it with whichever "Visitors Permit" is applicable.

I have hunted in Denmark, Poland, Austria, Romania and here in Scotland where I can tell you cannot purchase ammunition as a visitor. You would need to enquire in each place.

I'd personally suggest that if you have doubts ask your outfitter - I'm sure something can found...….

Otherwise just take enough with you??

Posts: 196 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No calibre restructions any more in France.

Calibres that are widely available across Europe:

7x64
30-06
6.5x55

Plenty of other calibres are also used widely but with one of the above you will find ammo in most places.

My advice would speak with any guide who you book with.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Budapest and most major cites you will get any ammo from .222 - 8x68 and all in between.

Could you not just take 40 with you and then loads for zeroing, shooting etc.

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the great responses. Maybe I should have been a little more specific. I always take 40 to 60 rounds with me, but I would like to know what is available if the airline were to loose my bag with the ammunition. I spend a lot of time working up loads for my rifles that are accurate and suited to the game I will hunt. I definitely prefer using them. I have never killed a big game animal with a factory round.

After I made my original post I started to wonder if I would have trouble buying ammunition with a temporary permit. I was stationed in Vicenza, Italy in the US Army in the 1970s and was able to buy several shotguns and ammunition for them. I understand now that Army personnel stationed there can no longer have firearms. We did not have any place to shoot rifles or handguns but I shot a lot of skeet.

When I book a hunt I will get more specific information from the outfitter. I almost booked a hunt for ibex in Spain for the fall of 2020 but the coronavirus issue came up before I got the deposit sent. Hopefully I can make it in 2021.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand your problem - as a rule I only use hand loads which I work up myself.

Usually there will be some factory loads which work in a way similar to your handloads - you will usually find RWS, Norma and Federal in almost any gunshop. Might be useful for you to compare the ballistics of these with your handloads? Norma and RWS make very good ammunition with good bullets - Federal I'm not so struck on.

You will find 243, 308 and 30-06 in virtually anywhere selling rifle ammo.

As I and others have said your biggest problems will be "administrative" rather than practical.

Posts: 196 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
After I made my original post I started to wonder if I would have trouble buying ammunition with a temporary permit.

You can buy ammunition with a temporary permit to bring a rifle in Sweden, you can also buy reloading equipment with it. Residents living in Sweden can own hunting firearms if they can show they have the right and education to do it in they birth/home country (or they can do the Swedish hunting education to be able to buy hunting firearm by the Swedish regulation). Common calibers who can be found in a local hardware store 6,5*55,.308w,3006, 9,3*62, 8*57is, 222r.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Frankonia has quite a bit of variety, but if you stay with 6.5x55, 7x64, 30-06, 8x57, 270, 308, 300 Win, 9.3x62, 375 H&H, 9.3x64 and 8x68s you would hit the most common ones in Germany.

I noticed that in Innsbruck they had some more esoteric calibers like 7x66 Vom Hoffe.

It is really hard to go wrong with the 7x64!

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where you may struggle are the less common calibres - 257 Roberts, 280 Remington, 35 Whelen, 358 Magnum the WSMs and ultramags etc. In effect the calibres that are harder to find may well be unheard of over here in Europe.

The 7x64 is probably the best all round European calibre.

And in many countries there is a min calibre/ bullet weight / energy requirement for bigger game. If take 6.5x55 / 6.5 Creedmoor with a 140gn bullet at 2,650 fps you will be pretty much ok whereever you go and whatever you shoot at.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And in many countries there is a min calibre/ bullet weight / energy requirement for bigger game. If take 6.5x55 / 6.5 Creedmoor with a 140gn bullet at 2,650 fps you will be pretty much ok whereever you go and whatever you shoot at.

Make it 6,5/7mm 10g/154gr 2600fps.

What is the limit in Germany?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

I noticed that in Innsbruck they had some more esoteric calibers like 7x66 Vom Hoffe.

rotflmo

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For Germany"

Roe bucks can be shot with a 222 at minimum, and frieschling can be shot with a 22 Hornet in some German states. All other schwein have to be at least 6.5mm and I would think 6.5x55 is well above the required joules. I think the old 6.5x56 might be close. I never looked, but I am not sure if a 30-30 is legal or not for red, fallow, sika, mouflon and chamois.

I can't remember but I think Austrians have a lower number for Chamois, I think they can be shot with a 22-250.

Roe Deer minimum energy 1,000 Joules energy at 100 meters.

All other cloven hoofed game minimum energy 2,000 Joules energy at 100 meters plus minimum caliber 6.5mm (.25)

Handguns for finishing shot minimum 200 Joules

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This 30-30 load would not be legal for anything other than roe deer.

https://www.frankonia.de/p/fed...s/199676?query=30-30

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
2,000 Joules energy at 100 meters

Its the same minimum energy level for game bigger than roe as in Sweden and we have a minimum bullet weight of 10g.

30-30 may be legal with pointed bullets as hornady leverevolution 160gr in long barrel rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure about Norway, but Germans self-regulate each other pretty hard.

A non-traditional firearm like a lever gun would cause quite a bit of raised eye brows and questions.

Unless they saw a .444 or .458 hole in the end of the barrel on a drive hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would treat minimum calibres/energy with a little caution. I have taken a few (20+) roe here in Scotland with 222R where it is also the minimum but I'm not impressed - too many runners.

Even with perfect shot placement it still doesn't kill dead enough. I neck shot one and whilst it went down the bullet didn't even break the neck. I was using Norma ammunition which I usually have faith in.

Maybe handloads would have been better - but I got a 6mm barrel for the kiplauf instead - that works!

Interestingly the 'smith I asked to rechamber the 222 barrel to 22-250 refused to do it - said Blaser barrels were too hard and would ruin the reamer??

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate all the information you guys have given me. I have three Model 85 Sako's that I really enjoy, so I think I will look for another one in either 6.5x55 or 7x64.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuwinda:
I would treat minimum calibres/energy with a little caution. I have taken a few (20+) roe here in Scotland with 222R where it is also the minimum but I'm not impressed - too many runners.

Even with perfect shot placement it still doesn't kill dead enough. I neck shot one and whilst it went down the bullet didn't even break the neck. I was using Norma ammunition which I usually have faith in.

Maybe handloads would have been better - but I got a 6mm barrel for the kiplauf instead - that works!

Interestingly the 'smith I asked to rechamber the 222 barrel to 22-250 refused to do it - said Blaser barrels were too hard and would ruin the reamer??

Could you not get another barrel since it is a Balser.

Posts: 10793 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
quote:
Originally posted by Kuwinda:

Could you not get another barrel since it is a Balser.

I got a 6mmBR barrel - see text. Really accurate and very pleased with it - taken I guess 40-50 roe and a stag. Very picky on bullet weight - currently using 85g Sierra - because that was what I could get!

They are not available in 22-250 - only 222R and (I think) 5.56x50 rimmed - which is unknown here. This might have changed now - I bought this rifle new about 5 years ago.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Not sure about Norway, but Germans self-regulate each other pretty hard.

A non-traditional firearm like a lever gun would cause quite a bit of raised eye brows and questions.

Unless they saw a .444 or .458 hole in the end of the barrel on a drive hunt."

I know a couple of Swedish hunters with Marlin 1895 45-70s its a nice moose and boar caliber. Ammunition for 45-70 and .444 can be found in hunting stores but most hunters reload them. Sweden are more relaxed about semi auto rifles too, only hunting models with up to 5 cart. mag are legal.

A Sako would feel as home in any of the Nordic countries.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the input. I just bought a rifle that should be fine for Europe - a Sako in 7x64. It has been so windy since I bought it that I haven't gone out to try it yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
7 x 64 is not a " normal " caliber everywhere in Europe. I guess that Germany would be the easiest place to obtain ammo in 7 x 64 and the Scandinavian countries.

I suggest that you lean towards your PH/Operator and prepare them to be able to purchase the spescific caliber you bring your rifle in. Different countries have different rules regarding buying ammo.

And do not travel through London and Heathrow ...

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Norwegian: Thanks for the advice. When I book a hunt I will talk with the PH and find which calibers I can get ammunition in the specific country. I also have a number of other rifles, such as 7x57, .270, and .308. The Sako 7x64 I bought is the Arctos model and was so pretty I had to buy it. I also plan to use it here in the US.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Dale,

The Sako Arctos, or Grizzly I think it is called in Europe, is indeed a lovely rifle. All the calibers you mention will be fine for a European hunt.

Good luck with your European adventure... when borders and airline etc open up Wink

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote