The Accurate Reloading Forums
BUSH MEAT IN BELGIUM

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5421043/m/7471065362

28 December 2020, 14:39
ofbiro
BUSH MEAT IN BELGIUM
I read just today that in Brussels markets, "bush meat" is available, being requested by immigrants for "cultural" reasons. It seems that the prices are rather high, therefore theories about low budget are out of question.
Several of the wild animals, killed with snares, trap and other illegal means belong to protected species, but the "antis" don't object.
Is any Belgian AR member aware of the matter?
30 December 2020, 02:30
Stonecreek
How about you post the source material for the issue you raise? That would be very helpful in determining its veracity.
30 December 2020, 06:53
crbutler
I do know that game meat killed by hunters is sold in many European countries.

If someone is poaching, it’s often treated more as theft there.
30 December 2020, 17:51
Kuwinda
Game meat is available in most, if not all, European countries.

It all has to be inspected for notifiable disease and signed off to that effect by the hunter harvesting it on a tag which is recorded by the dealer - traceability...

Its a hassle - but it does mean that poached meat cannot easily be sold - or if sold its not really worth anything.

All the deer I cull for estates goes to dealers through this system.
31 December 2020, 20:25
Big Wonderful Wyoming
In Germany there are similar rules, but swine have to be tested for hog cholera, and a few other diseases.
01 January 2021, 01:21
Kuwinda
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
In Germany there are similar rules, but swine have to be tested for hog cholera, and a few other diseases.

Trichonela (sp??) Also African Swine Fever which is a huge issue in Europe at the moment.

Its at this time of year that I really miss the prospect of a trip to the snowy east European forests to catch those huge black boar slipping through the trees.....

At the moment its a no-no anyway but the advance of ASF seems to be making it retreat ever further.