Find
Notify
Tools

roebuck from Spain
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
 -

I am sure that the roe "aficionados" will appreciate this buck. It measured 152 CIC points and was taken with a Blaser single shot in 5.6x50R.
Montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My god!!
That was one d.... fine trophy -buck, Montero.
The animal looks big and heavy too, comparing to the nordic ones.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
montero,
What is the season and hunting method for Roebuck?

He looks nice to my inexperianced eye but from what 460wby says I take it he is better than nice!

Thanks
Greg

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
<OlafD>
posted
waidmannsheil again ..
Olaf

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Montero,
I have to congratulate with you two times, for the wild boar and for this roebuck.
May I know the weight of the W.boar and some data about the roebuck Trophy?
bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg,
In Spain, roe deer season varies, depending on the region. It may start by mid of April, and lasts until the end of July.
In some places there is a second season starting by the end of August and until mid October.
Still hunting or stalking are the most common methods of hunting them.
You can always kill a big, mature, cunning buck by sheer luck, but that is not normal. They get extremely wise and difficult. The one in the photo was almost a friend, as we had known each other for two and a half years. When I go to that same spot where I took him, I feel a bit sad. Maybe sad is not the word, but I know you understand what I mean.

Steve,
I can not tell the weight of the boar as took the four legs, the head and the loins and sirloins only leaving the carcass behind. It had been a long day, we were cold and tired and we were a bit far from our cars. My conservative estimation would be 125 kilos or 275 lbs.
When I get home I'll post some data about the bucks trophy measurements.

Montero

<OlafD>
posted
Hello Montero,
how does the roebucks normal looks?
And what is the average weight of the antlers in spain?

Olaf

<JOHAN>
posted
Montero

Nice roe buck, indeed and congratulations manny times. To bad it were baged with a blaser rifle [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

You son of a gun

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Waidmanns danke! Olaf
An average buck in Spain, lets say the typical 2.5-3.5 year buck is a six pointer with a trophy weight (skull without the lower jaw) of 300 gram.
But of course, every buck is different and you see large dispersions from that average.

Steve, here are the measurements:
Average length of two horns=24.75cm
Weight=544gr
Volume=254cm3
The exact CIC points, now that I have the CIC doc in front of me, is 153.975

Montero

<OlafD>
posted
[ To bad it were baged with a blaser rifle [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Cheers
/ JOHAN[/QB][/QUOTE]

Hej Johan [Big Grin] i'm sure the buck does'nt care what rifle it was [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

@montero,
Thanks for the info..it seems that the bucks in spain got pretty much the same size like in germany. My biggest one got 580 gramm, the antlers was smaller but heavy. It is depending in which aear the bucks live? means something like oak woods, cestnut-trees ?

Olaf

[ 08-12-2002, 21:30: Message edited by: OlafD ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Felicitaciones Montero , any other picture of the Roe ?

Saludos

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before any of you Americans ask, the answer is yes. the scope on my Blaser rifle is a Leupold! [Smile]

Olaf,
roe's antlers are a consequence of all the different circumstances which sorround his life, not just food.
probably the most important period is the winter he spends on his mother's womb and the first months of his life.
from then on, winters are most important as it is the period in which their antlers are growing. the best winter for antler growth is mild and dry. it is also very important that they are not stressed out by other forms of hunting, specially driven hunts with dogs, during the winter.
it is very difficult that they grow big antlers, even if the food was the most optimal, if there is a high density of their population.
etc.
regards,
montero

one of us
posted Hide Post
gracias, Daniel.
as you can well imagine I took plenty of photographs which I will be happy to show you next time we meet.
saludos,
montero

<OlafD>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by montero:
Before any of you Americans ask, the answer is yes. the scope on my Blaser rifle is a Leupold! [Smile]

Olaf,
roe's antlers are a consequence of all the different circumstances which sorround his life, not just food.
probably the most important period is the winter he spends on his mother's womb and the first months of his life.
from then on, winters are most important as it is the period in which their antlers are growing. the best winter for antler growth is mild and dry. it is also very important that they are not stressed out by other forms of hunting, specially driven hunts with dogs, during the winter.
it is very difficult that they grow big antlers, even if the food was the most optimal, if there is a high density of their population.
etc.
regards,
montero

Montero,
I agree with that. It very similar to germany.. we start in may to hunt the small bucks, make place f�r the 2-3 years old. Bucks got no really stress with drive hunts because the buck season close at 15th oct. drive hunts start most time at this date. we have find out that if the conditions ( wood, food , not much fight before the rut, qutie places in the woods a.s.o) make strong bucks, if they got in the wintertime a lot of acorns, beechnuts and bushes the antlers are big and heavy. It seems that in acorn, beechnuts and in the buds a lot of mineralswhich are important for the bones and antlers.

Olaf

<.280 Sweden>
posted
I like your roebuck, singel-shot rifle but most I like your classic hunting hat!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Montero
Gongratulations with a very nice buck and a great trophy !
Where in Spain are you hunting ??

I had 18 days of backpacking in Spain in July, Started out in Alicante ( cheap air ticket [Razz] ), Worked my way dovn the coast to Cartagena, further up to Granada ( the Alhambra was unbelivable !!!).
Then down to the coast again to the Almeria area, then back up to Murcia and Alicante and back home.
Nice trip, nice people, nice weather and a bit off the beaten track [Cool] .
Lots of interesting tings to see and do, together with good local vine and tapas [Wink] .
Skipped off to London on my way back home and went to a concert with Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits !!.
A super end to a great holiday for an old hippie !

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arild,
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in my country.
I hunt roe in the center and north center of Spain, where the countryside is pretty much different to the south east where you visited.
Winters are much colder, and it rains more often, which makes for a completely different landscape.
regards,
montero