Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in Ireland
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted
I arrived in Dublin, Ireland on August 24th and toured the city for 3 days. Pubs, churches, cultural centers, Teeling Distillery, Guinness Storehouse and parks. It is a beautiful and clean city with friendly folks. Then off for a 4 day train and bus tour of the west and southern coasts. Killarney, Kerry, Cohb, The Cliffs of Mohr, the Burren, Famine ruins and walls, Blarney Castle, Bunrattey Castle and Cork. Then I traveled by train to Ennis for my hunt in the Kilkishen area of Ireland with Game Hunting Ireland and the owner, outfitter and guide Kevin Lynch. Five days of hunting with Red Stag, Sika and Ibex were on the menu. I borowed one of Kevin's guns. A Browning X-Bolt in 270 with a 2x12 Swarovski and an ACC moderator. I was shooting 130 grain factory Federal ammo. The shots were about 200 on the Sika and 80ish on the Ibex. Sika was killed at last light and was a hell of a recovery from a soggy bog. The entire Republic of Ireland is beautiful. It was one of the best trips I have ever taken. Enjoy a few of the photos of the hunting area and the dead critters.

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
Naturally you had a deer hunting licence issued by the National Parks and Wildlife Service. As well as a firearms certificate as you can’t “ borrow” guns in Ireland.
Nice Sika by the way. And a good goat.

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
I submitted the required applications and paperwork and was issued the appropriate licence for the hunt and permit to possess and shoot the rifle. I was a tendious process over the months and weeks prior to my hunt, but I got it done. It may have been easier if I had just taken my own rifle, but I wanted to tour prior to my hunt and didn't want to hauling my rifle around with me since I was traveling without checked baggage and living out of a pack.

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are wild goats, not ibex - we have quite a few here in Scotland.

Nice sika - they are a real test of ability!

Posts: 191 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Kuwinda-I know. The outfitters call them Ibex. I suppose it sounds more exotic than feral goats. Still a unique if not too difficult hunt. Stinky old critters.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well done!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
What breed of goat do those feral goats come from? We have plenty of feral goats here in NZ which I understand come from Angora stock. Their horns spiral out sideways from the skull. I have #30 in size in NZ, it has a 38.5" spread and good spiral.
Those "Ibex" look good, maybe there is some Ibex breeding in there somewhere.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great photos, I was there in May/June and saw many of the places that you mention but I didn't do any hunting.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They come from ordinary domestic stock - a lot of generations later they seem to "revert" to a wilder strain altogether. A couple of weeks ago I was sailing in Greece and there were very similar goats on some of the islands - whether domestic or wild I know not.

They do stink - but they taste OK!

quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
What breed of goat do those feral goats come from? We have plenty of feral goats here in NZ which I understand come from Angora stock. Their horns spiral out sideways from the skull. I have #30 in size in NZ, it has a 38.5" spread and good spiral.
Those "Ibex" look good, maybe there is some Ibex breeding in there somewhere.

Posts: 191 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Well done and certainly something different! Ireland! Thanks for posting.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love Irland. Great country to visit and hunt!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2064 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote