Find
Notify
Tools

Roe Bucks and Boars in Croatia
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted
Back from Croatia in the beginning of August - was hunting Roe Bucks and Boars.

Will keep it short and will add more if needed.

It was hot and dry - boar population is very good, roe rut was just beginning. Scenery was - well it somehow reminds me of Africa - I wouldn't be surprised if a Buffalo, Elephant or Lion would be around Smiler :

We were calling bucks in the daytime and waiting for boars in the evenings - through the nights - tho at the end it wasn't needed since boars were active during day/dusk time already - it was quite interesting when one was calling Roe Buck a boar would turn up to check if there is a free snack somewhere - looks like they are quite used to look for a roe fawn and eat it if they could:

Boar on Roe Call 1

Boar on a Roe Call 2

Anyway - on one of the evenings I was sitting on a passage when at app 150m a boar appeared in the long grass between the bushes - he was walking slowly without stopping - as soon as I saw that he was worth shooting he went behind a tree and soon appeared again just to enter the bush not to be seen anymore - however I managed to squeeze one in prior to that.

Loud "flop" of solid bullet hit and he was down on the spot - just to be back on his feet making mad dash toward bush - I could see he was lacking some steam - and he was gone. We found it 50m away. Bullet - 8x68S SAX - entered on the shoulder and exit behind the opposite shoulder. 5-6 years old, 150kg - on the hook gutted.

On the final morning I was calling for Roe Buck - and at first a boar sow came to a call - when she figured out that I wasn't interesting she went off - pigglets were 2 minutes behind her.

Then I spotted a buck chasing doe 200m away - I made a call but the buck wouldn't bother...so since I had time ( I was waiting for a guy to collect me later on) I kept on calling - finally after one hour - buck obviously had it with a doe, came through the bushes looking for me at 50m and was down for good...

Nice old buck

It was another great summer in Croatia

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Seriously big pig and great roe buck ! Waidmannsheil!

Very dry where I am hunting at the moment too but not as dry as by you!

What are the rivers looking like for the fly fishing in autumn ?

Cheers

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that a drathaar pup? Good looking dog.

Posts: 1130 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Weidmannsdank Charlie!

Gacka river is doing fine and should be even better in the autumn.

kda55 - yes a Deutsch Drahthaar - 2 months old on the pic.

Here he is as of yesterday - almost 3 m.o.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful photography. Thank you for sharing with us.

Posts: 10805 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing this!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you for sharing all of that to us.

your pup will have fun. we have a griffon korthals that is now close to 3 years and it is a great journey so far.

preety sure he will good to help you on bear as well.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
The fairy tale continues - I have just returned from a weekend in Croatia and luck continues to accompany me.

130 kg on the hook

Massive tusks, that are broader at the top than at the bottom - indicating age well beyond 10 years (Brandt coeficient is valid until the top width matches the bottom - and the coeficient is 1 - meaning age of 10 years - this one passes it by a margin).

Trophy scored 117.70 CIC - 2.3 points short of gold medal

Boars of this age are rearer than hen's teeth - rather non existent due to hunting, predators, traffic and other danger that face them and I am over the moon - by all means a Life time trophy!

One of Us
Picture of Kanec
posted Hide Post
One helluva pig and the age like you said is amazing
We are just finishing pig hunt in Turkey in Kure Mountains
Some size on these pigs here 250 plus kg spring weight
Sad part is leaving all the meat in woods despite going to bears and wolves
All I see is pile of sausage not being made

Posts: 201 | Location: Heart of Europe where East meets the West | Registered: 19 January 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would love to see pictures of the 250kg pigs you shot.

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

What a pig! 130 kgs on the hook ! About 175 dead weight ? 10 year old pigs are not every day! Congratulations and Waidmannsheil! Super pig!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! That is one massive pig!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congratulations. hope you can post some hunts as well from fatherland Slovenija.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Just back form another great trip to Croatia - weather wasn't cooperating still rut was on and clients got some top class trophies:

Calling Roebucks comes with some side effects and I took them as they came

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Good show Mouse!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote