THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    Swiss to ban foreign trophy hunters from killing Alpine ibex

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swiss to ban foreign trophy hunters from killing Alpine ibex
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://phys.org/news/2020-08-...-hunters-alpine.html

AUGUST 28, 2020

Swiss to ban foreign trophy hunters from killing Alpine ibex

There are over 6,000 Alpine ibexes in the Swiss canton of Wallis

A Swiss region that has faced heavy criticism for allowing wealthy foreigners to pay large sums to shoot protected Alpine ibexes, a species of wild goat, for trophies decided Friday to end the practice.

The southern Swiss canton of Wallis, the only one to allow the trophy hunting, said in a statement that as of next year, foreigners would no longer be granted permits to hunt ibexes.

The canton stressed that its Alpine ibex population was growing healthily and said there was still a need for responsible regulation through hunting.

But it said that from 2021, "ibex regulation will only be carried out by hunters residing in the canton of Wallis or those who hold a Wallis hunting license."

The canton has for years quietly allowed trophy hunters to shoot aging male ibexes already destined for elimination.

But a documentary aired by public broadcaster RTS last year brought the trophy hunt to the attention of the broader public, sparking a heated debate across Switzerland about the practice and its potential impact on the viability of the species.

Outraged citizens launched a petition demanding the "disgraceful" hunt be halted, gathering some 75,000 signatures in a matter of months.

The entire Swiss ibex population was wiped out at the end of the 19th century, but since they were reintroduced from neighboring Italy, the population in the country has grown to around 17,000.

Wallis counted 6,030 ibexes at the end of 2019—nearly double the roughly 3,500 in the canton 15 years earlier.

The canton allows several hundred animals to be culled each year, with the maximum quota this year standing at 544 animals.

Animals across all age groups and of both sexes can be listed for culling, but males over the age of 11 are typically offered to trophy hunters, at a price.

The cost depends on the length of the horns, with the longest specimens, measuring around 1.10 meters, reportedly raking in up to $20,000 for a pair.

The canton has pocketed hundreds of thousands of dollars in income from this hunt annually.

For 2020, authorities have granted hunting permits for up to 45 large males over the age of 11, including 25 to foreign hunters.

While the canton will lose income once the foreign trophy hunters are gone, it pointed out Friday that the shift would lead to a reduction in workload for game rangers, who had been tasked with supervising and accompanying foreigners holding one-day hunting permits.

This, it said, would allow the region to save on personnel resources, meaning there would be no need to hike hunting license prices for Wallis residents, which had been one of the main sticking points in the debate.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9361 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
The only thing that is funny and kinda stupid excuse is less work for Rangers?
Sure they won’t be unemployed, as Canton will pay them their salary no matter what they do
Anyway, otherwise I do understand their their decision as hunters and residents spoke...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
I bet the RTS piece was well balanced, too. What a pity.

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine runs some of the hunts in Walis. He charges a fair price, he is the only one that does.

Most of the rest of those that have access to the tags charge $30-60,000 per ibex.

He told me in 2017 that it was a very unpopular concept that the tags were sold to foreigners. As it would be the same as Wyoming selling a portion of their bighorn sheep tag to non-residents, but making residents apply to a drawing.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard the WWF did not support and actually condemn the hunting of Alpine Ibex in Switzerland when these tags were offered.

Posts: 10805 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The prices for Alpine Ibex will Sky Rock in Free Range Areas in Austria.
The Fenced Areas are almost shoot out by American TROPHY Hunters in the past. There is a lot of demand from "OVERSEA CLIENTS" for this pen raised ANIMALS.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are high fence Alpine Ibex in Slovenia, Germany, Austria and I believe Bulgaria.

There are hunts for $8500-45,000, depends on how well you look.

I do not know of any free range Austrian ibex, maybe the Swarovski revier? So those aren't exactly open to anyone anyway, unless you are a big Swarovski retailer like the people that own Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse or LL Bean.

My friend told me that he has guided several people that had a Weatherby award or were in pursuit of a Weatherby award.

https://www.capra-adventures.c...Z-ALPENSTEINBOCK.pdf His Switzerland price list.

His Austrian price list
https://www.capra-adventures.c...x_Oesterreich_EN.pdf

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As for prices sky rocketing, I don't know if that will happen or not. He told me the number of tags he got from the government to sell. It is a very small amount. Maybe 10-20.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I heard the WWF did not support and actually condemn the hunting of Alpine Ibex in Switzerland when these tags were offered.

The WWF is fairly anti-hunting to begin with.

Hunting in Europe is seen as a wildlife management tool by most Europeans, and in many places still viewed as something only people with too much money do.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
For that kinda money, I’d hunt elephant at least twice and it’s lot more fun

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An elephant hunt is probably 10 times the hunt of an Alpine Ibex, but not sure if I am interested in shooting an elephant or not.

I used to be really interested in it, but we did an elephant encounter thing at a zoo a few years ago. Was expensive, and really cool. I just don't think it would be something I could do.

I have them humanized in my brain. I know they are not, but I have them and Golden Retrievers in the same do not kill unless life depends on it file.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Austria are very well managed Free Range Populations. The Demand is High and therefore also the Price. A couple of Dozens Class 1 (10 Years and older ) are hunted every Year.
Slovenia has in the Triglav National Park on the Border to Italy a Good Population (Free range) where the sell very Few Licenses.
Italy and France have the biggest Populations of Ibex but hunting is closed.
Germany on the Border to Austria has a few Populations too.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
An elephant hunt is probably 10 times the hunt of an Alpine Ibex, but not sure if I am interested in shooting an elephant or not.

I used to be really interested in it, but we did an elephant encounter thing at a zoo a few years ago. Was expensive, and really cool. I just don't think it would be something I could do.

I have them humanized in my brain. I know they are not, but I have them and Golden Retrievers in the same do not kill unless life depends on it file.

A trip to the Zambezi Valley for tuskless will cure you of that "humanized" qualification of eles!

Whistling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

A trip to the Zambezi Valley for tuskless will cure you of that "humanized" qualification of eles!

Whistling

100%

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the ban will include chamois as well?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Schweiz is a lovely country in many aspects....but in regards to hunting its so facist with all their rules of this&that that is very difficult for the swiss citizens too. Swiss hunters go to Austria,France or Germany to hunt.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been on a couple hunts organized by my friend who is a Swiss booking agent.

Every hunt had a ton of Swiss hunters on it.

I never remembered to ask, but I think they have some strange rules on roe deer. They like hunting reh in Austria, France and Germany that is for sure.