THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    Summer colours & a roe buck 'Spiesser'

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Summer colours & a roe buck 'Spiesser'
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

I was out last evening planning to sit at a bait site for a pig. But the best made plans et cetera. I drove around the concession checking for crop damage and pig diggings. Nothing new to report, so thats good.

Summer is in full swing, the seasons paying no heed to C19! Wonderful colours and the crops in full strength! We have a couple of set aside areas where we have sown wild grass / flower mix as cover for the ground game. Some wonderful colours.

The Prunus spinosa bushes are full with ripening fruit! Those that know the plant and its fruit will know that I am planning to pick a few kilos later in the year and make some sloe gin this winter! The harvest looks promising!

I parked up and with my Springer bitch, took up in a small 'Kanzel' hoping for a European boar 'Überlaufer' for the freezer. Thick, dark green trees and bushes surrounded me.

At 21h15 an old doe came in. I have seen her a few times. She has no kid this year and is beyond breeding and starting to show signs of age with her hips and ribs showing through her bright red coat.

A short while later another red coat put in an appearance. A yearling buck. I have seen him before and noted him at the time as a cull buck.
He came in to the cut and stood broadside a few paces behind the doe. A PMP .30-06 round to the shoulder and he dropped on the spot.

I gralloched the deer, checking and finding the organs in good condition, and drove to the farm and hung him in the cooler, setting aside liver, heart and kidneys for the dog. A good young buck to take out and some excellent venison, despite a rather large PMP exit wound.

Returning to the 'Kanzel', I sat until 02.30 a.m. hoping to add to the bag with a boar, but nothing came in other than a large boar badger. Badger season opens in September.

I called it a night and was home half an hour later.

I am truly blessed being able to easily get out into the countryside and woods and hunt and shoot during what is an exceptionally challenging, difficult and confusing year for us all. And wild free range venison in the freezer is a bonus!

A young yearling Spiesser was my reward.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Waidsmanheil!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice Charlie, well done!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply pastoral. Thank you for sharing.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote