THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    Need a bit of advice on visiting London this fall

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a bit of advice on visiting London this fall
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted
So, Mrs Duckear and I are celebrating 25 years of wedded bliss with a trip to London in September.

As a reserve army officer and member of a club here in the US, I am eligible to stay at the Royal Overseas League, the In & Out or the Union Jack club.

We are looking for in the middle of all the typical tourist stuff in the heart of London.

Which should we pick?

Sadly, Mrs Duckear is in charge of the majority of the daily agenda, but I will have a day that I can plan (allegedly!).

What do yall suggest?

I am thinking a visit to some gun makers and sporting goods stores, but am open to suggestions. Is is even feasible to try to arrange some sort of day hunt?

Anyway, all help is very welcome and appreciated.

Thx in advance.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
You can contact H&H and arrange for a session with a coach at the shooting grounds. It is a wonderful place to shoot and everyone does better with a refresher or instruction now and again. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duckie,

September is a good month for shooting & hunting activities in the UK.

Like Grenadier; I took the opportunity to book a shooting session (lesson=1.5 hrs.) at the Holland & Holland Shooting Grounds in north London; you'll need a reservation; a walk-in won't cut it. I packed my ear muffs, glasses and a shooting vest.

If you enjoy shotguns & shotgun shooting this is a superb venue and something I'd highly recommend.

I took Mrs. Gerry along and although a non-shooter she enjoyed sharing the afternoon with me.

In those days I was in London alot on business and had already done all the downtown London gunshops - they are a must. So if you can't manage a dedicated day for H&H Shooting Grounds they are another option; although being able to actually pull the trigger after a mouth watering gun shop morning session is a real plus IMO.

Bisley is also worth a visit; there's gun shops, clubs, shooting ranges (rifle/shotgun) and their museum. It's a tad on the outside edge of London proper, an auto would be convenient.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Thx so much for the info so far.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a semi-Londoner and with half an eye to your Missus, I suggest the Union Jack Club.
It is very close to Waterloo and with that the Underground and Bus routes that will quickly get you to all the best tourist sites in London.
It is also a nod and a spit from the South Bank where you can go to concerts and Musical events or just walk along the Thames and view the Houses of Parlianment, Big Ben on the otherside and take a trip up the London Eye on your side. Very close to Covent Garden and Pall Mall where you can find Farlows and some sporting outdoor gear.
Near Waterloo also is the Fire Station pub and restauraunt which is a sardine pack of drinking commuters at times with a real buzz or Maison Felipe which does perhaps the best Tapas in London but again a crush and a buzz.
Get in touch with Fallowbuck on here if you want to organise some shooting or stalking.
Enjoy

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 574 | Location: UK | Registered: 13 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a divorce since life is short.

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
London is wonderful! You can wear yourselves out enjoying the sights as there are so many things to see and do. We did all the typical tourist sights and hit a different pub and restaurant every evening that had been recommended to us. No disappointments. We spent a morning at Rigby and Marc fitted Clara for her anniversary gift (a 275 Rigby) without her even knowing it.

Give Fallow Buck a shout and he can probably give some good suggestions for gun shops as well as other things to see and do. He took us to a couple gun shops when we stalked with him last year in Scotland.

Happy Anniversary to you both and wishes for a safe and joyful trip.

Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
The best thing about going to gunshops for me now is that I can tell Elaine it is market research!!

Duckear, if our dates coincide it would be a pleasure to walk you round Mayfair, and we could visit Hollands, Purdey, William and son, William Evans and Farlows. A short ride will take us to Rigby, and there is Anderson Wheeler too.

You could go home and tell every one you did the grand slam of London gun stores!!

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:
The best thing about going to gunshops for me now is that I can tell Elaine it is market research!!

Duckear, if our dates coincide it would be a pleasure to walk you round Mayfair, and we could visit Hollands, Purdey, William and son, William Evans and Farlows. A short ride will take us to Rigby, and there is Anderson Wheeler too.

You could go home and tell every one you did the grand slam of London gun stores!!

K

Oh, that is quite a tempting offer. Smiler

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
Get a divorce since life is short.

Why on earth would I leave the love of my earthly life and mother of my children? You are very right, life is short, all the more reason to spend time with her and spend money on her passions. Goodness knows she is patient with mine!

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Duck: You have a PM.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1542 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Imperial War Museum, Cabinet War Rooms and the Tower of London are three I reccomend. We lived in England for 3 years a little over 25 years ago and went to London almost once a month; never ran out of things to see.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2933 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:

K

Oh, that is quite a tempting offer. Smiler

No worries. I'm in Scotland grouse shooting for most of the month but let me know your dates and if I am in town we can do the walk.

Rgds
Kiri

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote