New
Find
Notify
Tools

Largest Fallow Deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
To any of you guys that may have hunted Europe in the past, what country has the largest Fallow Deer? I am trying to decide whether to go back to Africa, or try something different, and a top end Fallow Deer is one thing that has always interested me. I would be bringing my wife along, so non hunting attractions would be a plus.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guet spelled like it sounds in Hungry. You could get lucky and find a 6kilo stag there a lot of high 4 and 5 running around.

Kelmens in Meshenbach, Austria has big fallow. You could hunt hold of and gamble a little bit and find a 5 kilo. Mine was just shy of 4.9 kilos. His stags are huge in the body. Mine was over 210 pounds on a electric scale.

You can hunt by stands or still hunt or combination there of. I like to stalk into stands and then hunt stalk to the next one, p it if you want to be dropped off at a stand he will do that. It's your hunt.

Others know more than I, up this has been my experience.

Posts: 10611 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
A 6 kg fallow buck would be like a 450 inch bull elk or 300 inch whitetail, but they are probably out there.

Hungary is the nation that spent the most time developing the quality of their fallow deer, so while there will be huge bucks in a lot of places I would agree with LHEYM500.

If Kelmens has 5kg stags, that would also be a good place to look.

A friend of mine shot a huge buck in Romania this last year. It was over 4 kg. Broke the bank, her husband was supposed to shoot a 10kg stag, and had to shoot a 8 kg stag because they didn't have the funds to pay for the 10kg stag. I think the 4kg fallowbuck was about $5000.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

You can shoot fallow in RSA and they don't charge by the weight of the head! Cheapest fallow on the planet in SA !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2255 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guet is spelled Guth.

Posts: 10611 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mauser66
posted Hide Post
I agree with the words above! Here in Hungary we have some very good free range area. Our hunters shot some big fallow stags in Guth last year as well as before. 90 % 4kg +. The biggest going up to 6,27 kg and got the CIC score of 232.4 points, reaching the 3'rd place on the world record list.
But the area Kelebia / KEFAG will also be there soon.
If you have more interest, just let me know!

Regards:

Andy

Posts: 47 | Location: South Hungary | Registered: 26 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of utcb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Guet spelled like it sounds in Hungry. You could get lucky and find a 6kilo stag there a lot of high 4 and 5 running around.

Kelmens in Meshenbach, Austria has big fallow. You could hunt hold of and gamble a little bit and find a 5 kilo. Mine was just shy of 4.9 kilos. His stags are huge in the body. Mine was over 210 pounds on a electric scale.

You can hunt by stands or still hunt or combination there of. I like to stalk into stands and then hunt stalk to the next one, p it if you want to be dropped off at a stand he will do that. It's your hunt.

Others know more than I, up this has been my experience.

I hunted with Klemens with my wife in the fall of 2013:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...8321043/m/5541043391

He has big fallow (my wife shot one). It is about an hour and a half train ride to Vienna. After the hunt, my wife and I spent a couple days there. Fantastic trip - I would recommend it.

Posts: 34 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried Klemens and Kelmens hunting in Austria, and find nothing. Is there a website?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He does not have one I will pm you his contact info tonight. I have no professional relationship with him. I do not even get a free supper for telling you about him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do also find this KG method of determining the size of the antlers confusing. I have the cleaned skull of the only mature Fallow that I have taken. It is nicely palmated on both sides, with 24 inch beams, and multiple points, yet the skull and horns weighs only about 3 1/2 lbs, which is well short of 2kg. Are these 3 1/2 to 4kg Fallow really that much bigger? Just wondering.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gracedog: I sent you a pm. Let me know if I got it to you.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Kg here kg there
I think if they look good they look good
I killed fallow before Christmas and both palms were split so it looks really cool nontypical and I think I’m gonna treasure him even more than big typical

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gracedog:
I do also find this KG method of determining the size of the antlers confusing. I have the cleaned skull of the only mature Fallow that I have taken. It is nicely palmated on both sides, with 24 inch beams, and multiple points, yet the skull and horns weighs only about 3 1/2 lbs, which is well short of 2kg. Are these 3 1/2 to 4kg Fallow really that much bigger? Just wondering.

Yes 2 kg is a baby one.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LHeym, got your message. Thank you, that is much appreciated.

One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
I killed a big fallow in Denmark. The SCI score was 228 1/8. How does that compare?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recommend Bulgaria. I hunted there 2016 and it was a great trip. The trophies are very light, so they are very cheap. I shot 2 bucks and 8 does/yearlings because I took the backstraps home.
The better buck had over 196 points with only 3,2kg and only 1550 Euros. (about $1900)
I saw several hundred deer every day incl. 50-100 bucks, with at least 10-20 shooters. And no fences!! Open area!!
2 of my friends were there last year and they had a great hunt too.
Very good hunt and very cheap! Let me know if you like more informations or some photos.
Regards from Switzerland Roger

Posts: 44 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 25 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jriley:
I killed a big fallow in Denmark. The SCI score was 228 1/8. How does that compare?

Have no idea, what did the skull weigh?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe, I am willing to be wrong, SCI score is based on inches similar to scoring white tail.

The standard form of Judgeing in Europe is based in the weight of the skull minus the lower jaw and antlers after drying for 24 hrs after boiling.

I like this weight measurement better as more often than not older animals have more mass. And all things being equal I prefer mass/weight/heavy antlers over inches.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Weight measurement is used for fees, period as it is probably better, easier and simpler way to get money out of paying guests
It’s not a scoring system
CIC is European system in cm

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you boar killer. If you are going to charge me. I still think weight is better than cm/inches.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
And I agree with you on all
Just threw it out there what I know

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No issue. You know more than I. I appreciate the knowledge shared.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CIC has beauty points and other bullshit.

CIC does not have a record book. There is no list. At least that is my understanding. The animal is only scored against the standard not against other animals.

One of Us
Picture of Mauser66
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
CIC has beauty points and other bullshit.

CIC does not have a record book. There is no list. At least that is my understanding. The animal is only scored against the standard not against other animals.

CIC has a record book and there is a list.
Yes, there are beauty points. But these are just given abow some ponit limit. If the trophy gets enough points to get in the list of record book there is a trophy judgement with 3 CIC scoring masters. If that much pionts it has, the international tem of master scorers wll judge the trophy for final score.
So what you have in inches, we have in cm. And the tradition "you pay after the size" is much easier and much more exact to judge on the field than to score an animal from about 200 meters. At least for us who was growing up in this sytem and was learning to estimate the size of the red stags, fallow deers and roebucks.
And i agree 100 % that your scoring system is as good as ours. Just difficult for most of the european huters becouse of the different metric system.
Of course all this is important to get a list and the scores. All of us are looking for beauty trophies. But if i have a very exciting hunt for a behind of age roebuck with small antlers, im much more happy than shoot a big red stag of 9 kg +, what i never saw befor, from a highstand.
The perfect is when a big trophy is coming together with a big experience!! Cool dancing

Regards:

Andy

Posts: 47 | Location: South Hungary | Registered: 26 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
The overall biggest fallows are, based on my experience' in Hungary. I mean the country that constantly produces the highest quality and can guarantee the highest quality. That doesn't mean that there aren't big fallows in other countries (for example Romania, Czech, Italy, Denmark, Bulgaria).
That is based on hunting experience in almost every country of Europe.

Austrias big fallows bucks are fenced. Clements fallows are fenced.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2064 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
Hi,
The overall biggest fallows are, based on my experience' in Hungary. I mean the country that constantly produces the highest quality and can guarantee the highest quality. That doesn't mean that there aren't big fallows in other countries (for example Romania, Czech, Italy, Denmark, Bulgaria).

Mine was not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
Hi,

Mine was not.

Miesenbach is a fenced operation. Fences might not be visible depending on where you enter, but in general all game is fenced.
Obviously I don't know where you hunted, maybe it was free range, I don't know.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2064 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No issue. Not trying to start a pissing contest. Mine was not fenced. Like I say ask the operator when you book. Tell him what you want if he cannot provide look elsewhere.

The only Game fence was around a garden someone had in town. I thought that was cool.

That may be why Kelemens always steers me away from roebuck. They maybe in the game fenced areas, and I always tell him no game fencing. I always ask and look hard.

No fence or gate going in or out before and after leaving black top, but we do drive a good bit out. I agree about Hungry. I would like to hunt Gueth myself. So many places to go and so few days and so few dollars.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
England has some monster Fallow in large fenced areas. Talking 210+ cic/ 5 kg bucks

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

And at what sort of prices / cost in the UK ?

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2255 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are properties boarding the New Forest that are not fenced and are hunted by internationals.

From what I have seen the range in trophy size is all over the spectrum.

I would PM Fallow Buck if I were seriously looking at England.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

And at what sort of prices / cost in the UK ?

For something above 210 your looking at approx £4000.

For a 180-190 £2200

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are properties boarding the New Forest that are not fenced and are hunted by internationals.

From what I have seen the range in trophy size is all over the spectrum.

I would PM Fallow Buck if I were seriously looking at England.

New Forest is a good place for free range, I shot personally a 182 there around a decade ago. 2 years ago I guided my friend and he took a double of bucks which went bronze and silver on the same outing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or PM Hunt International. Competitive market place is a beautiful thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie64:

I asked a mate in the middle of England what he pays.
"$40 to go, $50 to shoot a fallow, or no other charge for munjac. $1.50 a pound for the meat if you keep it. IF gold medal it's $50 more.

Plumb cheap compared to what you guys are saying.
PM and I'll provide his contact info. He's just a hunter, might be about done with going as his knee's and back are in bad shape, can barely get around much of the time.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know other countries but in Romania the only place where you can find a 5 kilos fallow buck is Western of the country, in Socodor area. Prices are high but smaller than Hungary and you will have a 100% chance for huge buck.

Posts: 41 | Location: Romania | Registered: 08 June 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A small handful of guides offer free ranging medal fallow in the UK, usually in the New Forest. I would go to Hungary for this.

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHOutfitters:
I don't know other countries but in Romania the only place where you can find a 5 kilos fallow buck is Western of the country, in Socodor area. Prices are high but smaller than Hungary and you will have a 100% chance for huge buck.

Have not seen coming out recently a 5kg Fallow stag out of Soccodor but the shoot a Dozen or so over 4 kg every year. To see 1000-1500 Deers from one High Stand is Common there in the Rut. Worldclass Area for Fallows and the price is the Normal Romanian Standard.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas