New
Find
Notify
Tools

'Grahams', Inverness spotting scope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for a spotting scope for stalking / mountain hunting. There is a company based in Inverness, N.E. Scotland, Grahams, which sells two models of spotting scopes.

One is the traditional Scottish 3 draw telescope, not unlike a Pirate/ Sea Capitain's telescope. This is made by Gray and is very expensive(to me).

They also sell a two draw telescope, about 24x60, which is of Japanese manufacture. At least that is where the lenses come from acording to the shop.

Does anyone have any experience / knowledge of the ?Japanese made two draw spotting scope?

Japanese camera lenses are generally high quality and the Nikon range of telescopic sights are known for having good optics and are well made.

Not with standing circa £500 price difference, ouch!, I like the more compact, when drawn / used, configuration of this telescope.

There are other, similar options by Optolyth and Swarovski but they are much heavier I believe.

Thanks.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have an Optolyth but rarely use it...It have none of the advantages of the Grays but several disadvantages.

With regards the Jap model, how waterproof is it?
None of these types of scope can be nitrogen sealed because they suck air into the bodies as they are extended.

I'm not sure how or why, but the Opotlyths, Swaro or S&B scopes of this style tend not to fog up despite this...

The Gray approaches the problem in a different manner in that should it fog up, it can easily be DIY stripped for cleaning...

As someone who wears glasses, I find the eye relief on the Opotolyth very short, modern spotting scopes are much better..again that might be something to check on the Jap model

If you google "Russian draw scopes" or similar you'll find a couple of models on sale in the UK which might be worth considering along side that Jap model..

Having used (but not owned Frowner ) a Grays, the optics and the construction are superb, but they are a relic of a bye gone era...I'm not sure I would spend that much on none waterproof optics with a very short eye relief..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Pete.

I sometimes wear glasses, generalyy contact lenses, so the eye relief issue is important to me also.

I believe the Swarovski draw scope has 'filters', some kind of seals to deal with the misting up issue. My view, FWIIW, the more moving parts / complicated it is, the more likely it is to let you down at the 'best' moment....

None the less, the Field magazine reported ages ago that the UK military uses Swarovski telescopes for sniping purposes.

I will re-check the Japanese made spotting scope. Being 2 draw, it is shorter than the Grays.

I did not know S&B made spotting scopes? I will have to look them up. Do you have a link to their spotting scopes as all I have found is their telescopic sights.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've only ever seen one S&B draw scope and that was a used one for sale in a shooting shop up in Scotland somewhere..

It caught my eye in the shop window as it looked identical to my Optolyth..

When I asked the shop keeper he told me it was a comparable to the Swarovski draw scopes..As he wanted £500, I never bothered looking any closer..

I've not seen any since and I wasn't aware that S&B made telescopes either..Maybe it was something they'd produced for the West German army in the 1960's or 70's?

With regards "Filters" on these draw scopes, I'd read that also..I can appreciate such a filter keeping dust out, but water vapor?

However they do it, it seems to work, unless I've never had my Optolyth out is bad enough conditions for it to fail..

Mine is a 30x80mm and I think its a bit bulky to carry while stalking..The current 25WA x 70mm are probably a better bet in this respect..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience of draw scopes, but I remember reading somewhere that it is impossible to construct a waterproof one and that those that can be D.I.Y. stripped and cleaned are preferable. Of course that may have changed now. Check out this link second hand Grays scope scroll to the bottom.

John

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 63
posted Hide Post
quote:
None the less, the Field magazine reported ages ago that the UK military uses Swarovski telescopes for sniping purposes.

AFAIK, its spotting scopes rather than 'telescopes'. Wink

Posts: 80 | Location: Chester | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter I had a S&B draw scope which I bought from the camera shop on the main road in Colwyn Bay. It was a first class scope. That shop is a great place to pick up second hand bargains in spotting scopes.
Cymru am Bedd

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote