THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    European roebuck - my “one in a million”!

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

European roebuck - my “one in a million”!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

Caveat - this report is written more with the international hunter / AR reader in mind than the European reader, as I would not attempt to tell nor explain to any experienced European hunter anything about roe deer or roe deer hunting for fear of trying to teach someone how to suck eggs!

Since opening day, I have been after a particular buck 5 or 6 times! I spied him whilst sitting on a high seat overlooking a patch of ground where wild pheasant are present. I was initially interested in seeing what the pheasant were up to when I spotted the buck and a doe feeding together at the far edge of the ground about 140m away. Nobody had seen this buck before. He was new to us all. A big bodied roebuck, with solid antlers, a good hand’s width above his ears! He had the looks and character of an older buck! I put in a stalk to within 30m in the tall undergrowth when the buck winded me and bounded away, barking and complaining!

I sat again a few evenings later and it was a repeat of the previous occasion. I stalked and crawled to within 40m in the tall undergrowth and despite my efforts the buck spotted me, straining his neck over the tall brush and grass, before bolting loudly for cover.

Then I thought I would be clever and get the better of him and go into the ground at 04.30 and wait for him to come out in the morning. As I approached my Leupold thermal handheld showed two deer in the middle of the ground. I froze but too late. He’d spied me and, barking, once again bolted for cover! Sunday, Mothers Day, I went out late afternoon. The doe came out at 18h30, exactly on time, and I had her in front of me for an hour plus, but the buck never showed! A change in the weather and an incoming storm ended that session. Mid week, I was out again and sat and waited for a number of hours. I again had the doe feeding an hour plus in by binocs but the buck never put in an appearance!

And then on Friday, I went out again early evening, to try again from 18h00 until last light for “my roe buck”!

The European roe deer (Capreolus capreolus) is to the German, and I suppose the European hunter, that what white tail deer is to the American hunter or impala to the Southern African hunter. It is every hunters’ deer and is found throughout the whole of Europe and Scandinavia, with one or two minor exceptions like some of the islands or the far north of Scandinavia. It’s a pretty small deer at about 1 m in hight and a weight of 20-25 kgs plus/minus. Roe group up in winter and you can often see herds of 20 plus deer feeding in the late afternoons and early mornings. In spring they part company and the bucks become territorial, staking out their patch of ground, having grown their new antlers and shed their velvet!

In Germany, 1.2 million roe deer were hunted in the 2018/19 season, of which 300 thousand plus were taken in Bavaria alone and the rest pretty evenly spread across the other German states. That makes roe deer the most popular game animal in Germany by a long stretch, followed by 500 thousand plus wild boar in the 2018/19 season.

The prize or trophy, beyond that actual hunt or stalk, is of course the head or the antlers and pretty much throughout the whole of Europe on guided or purchased hunts heads are calculated and charged based on weight for trophy hunter - 150 grammes to 250 grammes is a good representative head, whilst 300 grammes is getting big and anything over 350 grammes is medal quality! I know the adages about charging based on weight and with roe bucks you will typically see either a flat charge per buck (however this is less frequent nowadays) or charges based on weight, which is calculated based on the top of the skull, boiled clean and weighed after a day or two to allow time to dry. Many disagree with prices based on weight but that is how it is in Europe and I guess you take it or you leave it. And then lets not forget the venison! Roe venison makes excellent table fare and is often seen on the menus of many top restaurants!

May 1st is open day in Germany, with the season for bucks running to mid January the following year. And although the season runs nearly 9 months in total, there are two peak times when roe buck are actively hunted in Germany. The first is at the start of the season, the May roe buck! Hunters will be out and about in April, searching and glassing for ‘the buck’ that they will try for come open day, that “May 1st roe buck”! The other main hunting period is the rut, when bucks, in their bright orange coats, are chasing does literally in circles driven by testosterone and passion!

We have taken on a share in a hunting concession in the west of Germany, near the Dutch border, and the ground holds significant numbers of roe deer. And yes, I was out and about in April, glassing the deer and sitting on bait sites and at open fields watching and observing the roe bucks! Baiting where allowed with corn.

And as the 1st May, drew closer, I started to think what buck I would try for and with what rifle? There would be no night vision or thermal handhelds for roe deer. Big tabu! I would go out on opening day and await first light and then start my 1st May, roebuck hunt and would carry on into May in search of a suitable buck in the new concession!

This was a special hunt for me. My first roebuck in a new concession having recently returned to Europe after 15 years in Africa.

But what rifle?

Maybe the Rigby Highland Stalker in .275 Rigby? Or the Wolff double in 8x57 JRS?

I contemplated my Daniel Fraser 7x64, a classic stalking rifle and perhaps ‘the perfect’ rifle for an opening day roebuck.

What about my Mauser 66 in 8x68S, shooting RWS 186 grain factory bullets. Overkill? No such thing in my book. A heavy round for a 20 kg deer, yes, but also a classic German rifle and a classic round both capable of achieving the desired end result being a dead buck, which the Mauser 66 in 8x68S is well capable of delivering.

And then there is a CZ .223 Stutzen in the gun rack too! That will also do the job!

Opening day came and I was out in the concession with my Rigby .275 and my Springer bitch, Polly. The vegetation was in full swing with everything green and lush and the wheat and other crops coming on well! I did not see any “shooters” on opening day but nevertheless had a great day out in the countryside.

And over the next days and weeks plus, I was out a number of times early in the morning and late in the day, walking, stalking and sitting. And then I spotted the buck at the pheasant ground and he became my target! Almost my nemesis!

At 18h00 Friday last, I was in situ as planned and began a glassing wait, with my .275 Rigby Highland Stalker resting in the crook of my arm, seated at the top of a ladder stand.

At 19h30, glassing the far hedgerow, I spotted the doe, slowly coming out of the thicket where she beds down with the buck. And then behind her, the buck slowly stepped out to feed! My buck! The elusive old buck! I ranged the deer at 165 m.

A quick mental debate followed as to whether to try and take a shot from the stand or to climb down and try and stalk closer. I waited and glassed another twenty minutes by which time both animals were feeding, confident and relaxed.

Slowly, ever so slowly, I descended the ladder and stalked and crawled to within 100m of the feeding buck. I crouched, still, and watched and waited, sticks up and ready. The wind was consistent on my right cheek, north west.

Whilst the buck had his head down feeding, ever so slowly, I stood up and resting the rifle on my sticks, I put the red dot of the Swarovski scope onto the buck’s shoulder and squeezed the trigger. I heard a distinct impact and knew the buck was hit and saw him spring into the thicket through the scope.

I waited a few moments and then returned to the Landy and let my Springer bitch out and slowly, there was no need to rush, I walked across the ground with her beside me to where the buck had been standing and feeding. Polly picked up the scent immediately and ran straight to the downed deer - he had run maybe 10 m before falling under a hazel bush. The 139 grain Hornady SST had entered the left shoulder, slightly back, expanding through lung and liver, before exiting the opposite shoulder with minimal exit wound damage.

And what a great deer he was! He had not fully shed his winter coat and was big in the body at some 25 kgs as I weighed him later! His antlers were over the ear and with solid thick bases, joining in the middle and pearling up the antlers! A great buck to take!

I took a couple of iPhone pictures, loaded the buck in the Defender and drove to the farm where I dressed him and hung him in the cooler to chill down.

The farmer, who is also one of the “Paechter’s” (concession holders) came out and admired the buck and we enjoyed a cold beer each before I drove home.

Saturday, I dropped the buck at a nearby Fish Monger & Venison Butcher and he hung the carcass in his chiller along with 15 other deer and 2 wild boar the other hunters had delivered for processing and butchering. His comment that mine was a big old buck was pleasing to hear. He charges EUR 25,- for processing and vacuum packing the whole deer and it will be ready for me within a week. And then we will enjoy the roasts, the filets and some roe burgers on the BBQ!

He may not be a record head or a particularly abnormal "collectors head", but I sat for him and stalked him some five times and finally my plan came off and I got my "one in Germany’s million plus" 2020 roe buck!

And being the first deer for me in the new concession, he is kind of extra special to me!

Thanks to all / any that enjoyed reading this note. We had hoped to be in Africa on a mixed bag hunt with close friends end April and early May this year, but due to Corona / C19, that was cancelled and I am making do with and throughly enjoying hunting in my own backyard in Northrhein Westfalia Germany!

Waidmannsheil!

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2255 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent read. Never been to Europe but someday would like to get over there for Roe Deer and Red Stag. Thanks for posting and congratulations!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WMH looks a nice buck and always rewarding to have worked for them.

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A beautiful old buck - congratulations!!!

25kg?? That's very large - with head, legs off and skin on ready for the butcher? I've taken close to a thousand roe on an area close to my home - but only two went 19kg butcher weight - that's a big buck you have.

Posts: 191 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Goes to the butcher with head and legs on! So that's a few kg more than your calculation. Was a big body!

Posts: 2255 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still a great buck - one for the wall!

Posts: 191 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Hell of a buck
My favorite hunting methods are still hunting early May and then in rut
But I still enjoy sitting in high stand early mornings, listening to bird music and wait for deer to show up so I can watch them
Hunting particular buck is by far the most rewarding hunt
Any of you guys here in States, I recommend roe deer hunts as it is just awesome experience and great trophy
You will not be disappointed

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Waidmannsheil!

We spend a lot of time in this house talking about Germany and how much we miss it.

We have been in America a year. I don't know if we will be back in Germany for quite a number of years but hunting roe bucks is one of my favorite past times.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know what is better the pictures or the narrative.

Posts: 10639 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Double Weidmannsheil, one for the buck and another for the story!

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Hell of a buck
But I still enjoy sitting in high stand early mornings, listening to bird music and wait for deer to show up so I can watch them
Any of you guys here in States, I recommend roe deer hunts as it is just awesome experience and great trophy

I wouldn't say it is my favorite deer hunt, elk and red stags are my favorite deer. But! and a big Butt!

You usually get so many more chances with roe deer, and there are so many more deer. It is fantastic.

I wish I could have gotten on the revier near my home, but it was mostly forest. I couldn't find a revier I could get on that was mostly fields.

A gunsmith friend had a revier about 30 miles away that was 95% cultivated fields. 1500 hectare revier it was awesome. He shot 13 pigs in 20 years off of it. And several hundred reh.

He wouldn't let me on that revier, I hunted with him one night but that was it.

Probably easier to pay to hunt than deal with a bunch of guys on a revier.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
What a great old buck. I love the 'pearling' around and up the bases. Great story, well told and illustrated. Thanks for putting the time into it for us.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:
Hell of a buck

I wouldn't say it is my favorite deer hunt, elk and red stags are my favorite deer. But! and a big Butt!

You usually get so many more chances with roe deer, and there are so many more deer. It is fantastic.

I wish I could have gotten on the revier near my home, but it was mostly forest. I couldn't find a revier I could get on that was mostly fields.

A gunsmith friend had a revier about 30 miles away that was 95% cultivated fields. 1500 hectare revier it was awesome. He shot 13 pigs in 20 years off of it. And several hundred reh.

He wouldn't let me on that revier, I hunted with him one night but that was it.

Probably easier to pay to hunt than deal with a bunch of guys on a revier.

It is a great hunt when all else is out of season and it is perfect weather.
In Eastern block countries, there is just so much more opportunities as Germany is just packed with hunters
Place I hunt there are mixed forests and agricultural fields and there is just about everything including red stag, fallow deer, sika deer, roe deer, mouflon sheep and ever present pigs. Now they even have coons and tons of them now

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some friends of mine have a deal in Poland for the 10th of May. They have been on it for 5 years, and have shot over 8 .400 kg bucks, and one that was .480. Price is dastardly cheap, I want to say $1800 Euros for 5 days and 3 bucks of any size.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
That is definitely great deal

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report thanks Charlie. Congrats and well done. A very nice buck indeed.
It must be satisfying enjoying the fruits of your own concession.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1996 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

quote:
It must be satisfying enjoying the fruits of your own concession.

Grant, buggar the fruits mate I am after the meat and gravy!!

Joking aside, thanks for the comment and yes it is very pleasing to manage the game and selectively hunt and take specific animals. Lots to do especially when it comes to fox and other predator season! Lots of great potential that we want to develop and build up!

Cheers

Charlie

one of us
posted Hide Post
Waidmansheil!
Thanks for sharing a great story, and great pictures.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and Waidmansheil Charlie! Just the ticket for me in these dreary times with my hunts canceled and postponed, to read of someone else's success. I thoroughly enjoyed the report and pix!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7512 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I hope Europe opens up by July as I got trip planned there
Already postponed it from May
Ready to chase some Roebucks
But of this year is bust then so be it
Still need to go to Africa as I have unfinished business with some bush pigs with Charl at Infinito
So I’m going to pray real hard to the gods for this virus go to hell...

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope Europe opens up by July as I got trip planned there
Already postponed it from May
Ready to chase some Roebucks
But of this year is bust then so be it
Still need to go to Africa as I have unfinished business with some bush pigs with Charl at Infinito
So I’m going to pray real hard to the gods for this virus go to hell...

Which country?
Most are but at present have a 14 day quarantine

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Czech Republic
The flights hopefully wil be opened up

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Czech Republic
The flights hopefully wil be opened up

We can fly anywhere throughout Europe now but it’s the quarantine stopping us but should be done by mid june. Just got see what the airlines are doing now as they want people to arrive 4 hours before the flight because security lines will be much slower and check in also.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Same here throughout US
What I’m hearing is tests can be conducted on spot and then continue with your travel
Still a mess though but I’ll take my chances
My flight is Salt Lake City to Amsterdam to Prague on July 2nd

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Same here throughout US
What I’m hearing is tests can be conducted on spot and then continue with your travel
Still a mess though but I’ll take my chances
My flight is Salt Lake City to Amsterdam to Prague on July 2nd

Yes take the chance. Too many people are being to unrealistic about cancelling their hunts because of this. Fact is the world has to start working again or we are all screwed. Most of my guys are all set for fall and winter hunts. Of course if c19 stops it then I refund money but most are to dedicated to hunting than worry too much.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Charlie,

Well done! Definitely on my bucket list.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12846 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Great buck and a great story. Thank you for sharing. Roe deer stalking has been on my bucket list for awhile.

Safe hunting......Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are a great storyteller Charlie. Another excellent report. And you are correct. These spring hunts are for us hunters like Christmas Eve is for kids. Congratulations on a beautiful roe buck. Not to mention with the 275 Rigby.. cannot wait to using my 275 the same way. But borders closed.. hope to be in Hungary or Scotland late this year.

Keep writing reports Charlie. Really enjoyable

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Besides the head which I still need to boil, clean, saw and mount, the other result from this deer was ....

Collected from the butcher yesterday - hung, butchered, off the bone, vacuumed and kitchen ready for EUR 25/-. That's what I call a great service! BBQ backstraps and filets tonight dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When and where is dinner served ? I will bring the red wine Wink

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Beautiful deer and WOW-That meat!!! tu2 tu2 tu2