Find
Notify
Tools

UK season overlap question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted
Is it possible to hunt stag in Scotland and do a driven bird shoot and roe deer hunt on the same trip? Do the dates work, and if so, when?

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
Hi Duckear,

The answer is yes.

If it's driven Partridge then the season starts on September 1st and Pheasant is October 1st.

Red stag season in Scotland is 1st July - 20th October.

Roe buck season in Scotland is 1st April - 20th October.

So yes you can do all three on the same trip. Any time in September and up to 20th October. It just depends on what driven bird day you are after.

Hope this helps.

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 679 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Scotland a general license is in place which allows you to hunt any male deer in "enclosed land", i.e. woodland or farmland, at any time.

It may not be the same experience as stalking on the open hill in September or October but it is possible and any estate (or agent if you must...) should be able to arrange this for red, roe and sika together with pheasant. Bear in mind that roe loose their antlers around the year end.

Posts: 191 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies.
I should’ve pointed out that I’m willing to travel around a bit, while I do wanna stag hunt in Scotland, the rest of the UK is open as far as birds and roe deer if that expands my options.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuwinda:
In Scotland a general license is in place which allows you to hunt any male deer in "enclosed land", i.e. woodland or farmland, at any time.

It may not be the same experience as stalking on the open hill in September or October but it is possible and any estate (or agent if you must...) should be able to arrange this for red, roe and sika together with pheasant. Bear in mind that roe loose their antlers around the year end.

Pls can you a post a link to this. Is it an open license applicable to all enclosed lands, or is it granted when you apply specifically. And can you take paying clients. My understanding is that they are for management of troublesome animals only.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
Thanks for all the replies.
I should’ve pointed out that I’m willing to travel around a bit, while I do wanna stag hunt in Scotland, the rest of the UK is open as far as birds and roe deer if that expands my options.

This still absolutely doable.
Take a Red stag in Scotland in late September/early October. Then head across the border to England and hunt Roe Buck. Finally head into Wales and do a driven bird day.

You can do all three in Scotland though.

If you require any assistance let me know. I can offer you all three.

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 679 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote