THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    roe deer antlers sheddding/polising date

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

roe deer antlers sheddding/polising date
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
my question is: in what date you have ever see the first roebuck shed antlers? and the last?
And shed the velvet?
I know for sure that a buck can shed antlers even in december, and a frend of mine this febbuary 2 have see a buck whit clean antlers.
Someon have personal osservation?
Thanks Lorenzo

D.V.M.

Posts: 179 | Location: Italy | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, you did not get a lot of replies on this one, let's see if we can kick off some discussion. There are a lot of roe hunters here, so surely there must be some opinions...

Time for shedding antlers and velvet depends on the age of the buck. Older bucks shed both antlers and velvet earlier. I have seen antlers shed as early as November and velvet shed in April. Younger bucks normally don't shed their velvet until well into May or even early June. Yearlings don't loose their "antler-ettes" before much later - possibly as late as February??

I have never seen a buck hard in antler and out of velvet as early as February - unless perhaps it might have been a yearling, which had not yet shed. But hey, one should never say never... Sometimes bucks suffer (hormonal et al.) disturbances, which can cause unusual effects.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot bucks that have been completely clean and for some time judging by colour at the very start of April. I've seen bucks with antlers dropped by the start of November