New
Find
Notify
Tools

Italy and Sciley
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have agreeded to go on a trip with my wife and a group next year in September to southern Italy and Sciley in early September. Is there any hunting in either country at that time if. The year.?

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
There is tons of hunting in Italy, and Italians do hunt in Sicily (part of Italy, not it's own nation). There is no commercial hunting available in Sicily, or at least there was not when I lived there. There are wildboar and game birds on Sicily, never figured out how to get a hunt going.

You want to hunt in Tuscany anyway. There are a few outfitters in Tuscany and Tyrol.

Though you will find that there are Italian Sicilians that do not speak Italian, but only speak Siciliano (Sih-chill-y-iano which is not a dialect but a ancient mixture of languages).

I used to live in Syracusa (Syracuse) and work in the valley between Syracusa and Catania on Naval Air Station Sigonella. If memory serves I got there in 2004 or 2005 and left in 2008. So any knowledge I have is 10 years old.

As far as the Catania side of tourism, you want to see this in Syracusa; Greek theater, Roman Circus Maximus, museum and Ear of Syracusa (thought it smells like urine). Catania has some interesting sights and the city square, lava flows and Viking castle are worthwhile trips.

Agragento Greek ruins are very worthwhile.

If you are hunting in Northern Italy you'll be there in the Fall or Winter. Sicily gets hot. November would be good, but cold. If you hate crowds you'll have most of Italy to yourself in November, January and February.

For mainland Italy, I'd visit:

1. Saint Nicholas Cathedral in Bari (where Santa's bones are entombed).
2. Mountains in Tyrol.
3. Roman Colliseum (you will be dissapointed, but do it anyway).
4. Roman Archeology Museum
5. Naples sucks, but it is close to Pompeii Ruins

This list is pretty good https://www.voyagetips.com/en/things-to-do-in-sicily/

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh one other thing, Italy has a lot of petty crime. So watch your bags, pack light and keep young men away from you.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
We hunted here in September a few years ago.

http://www.gghuntingservices.it/en/

Giorgi y Graziela are wonderful hosts. The food and accomodations are excellent. We did driven birds and boar. They are at DSC every year. PM me if you have any questions.

Safe travel.....Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Sicily ther'is a sort of game farm, fenced, pretty unique in the region. His name is Baglio Trinità. Wild boar, muflon, red stag... You are free to contact me if you need the contact.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never heard of that Baglio Trinità guy.

I'll look.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Wife is dying to go to Italy. I do not want to go to a Italy.

I tell her, “Sweetheart, the Popes do not live in Rome during the summer time.”

If someone knows some free range Chamois within striking distance of Milan, please tell me.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.marcati-jagd.com/en.html

Still Tyrol, but on the other side of the border.

I don't know that anyone in Tyrol Suid is offering chamois for international hunters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you both. I just told her.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suggest you https://www.montefeltro.com/ the hunting agency that below from Beretta/Benelli. They hunt free range chamois in Piedmont. Nof far from Milan.Good trophies and serious services.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may try as well with

Edelweiss Hotel in Braies, South Tyrol

The owner is the president of the local hunters as well as the owner (or manager) of a private hunt in Eastern Tyrol with chamois and deer (both, red and roe)
ContactRed Faceffice@hoteledelweiss.info

The hotel, in a fantastic area, is at 5 hours by car from Milan.
The netsite should help you in persuading your wife to go there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife says thank you gentlemen.