Find
Notify
Tools

Boar hunting in Turkey
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I believe Turkey is technically an Asian country, but I figured the folks here in the European Hunting section would be able to give some input.

It seems like Turkey consistently produces GIANT wild boar. What is the reason for this? (genetics? diet? age?)

Also, if someone wanted to book a hunt for trophy wild boar in Turkey....where would be a good place to begin? Any particular outfitters that come highly recommended?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The boar in Turkey are a different sub species known as the Attila boar (Sus Scrofa Atilla)and is found throughout asia especially in the "stans".

Posts: 174 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 30 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
One reason for big males is low hunting pressure due to the country is inhabited mainly by muslims that do not eat pigs.

Posts: 292 | Location: Northernmost Sweden | Registered: 17 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome fun! Tookn6 mega Ttila in 2 days with Shikari Safaris. Biggest was 27/25cm, and ~200kg

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I lived in Incirlik years ago. Tons of pigs in Turkey and most Turks won't touch or hunt them.

I was there from April to September and it was too hot to organize a hunt with the local rug doctors.

Saw a lot of pigs all over the countryside, huge numbers there.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.erdoganavcisafaris.com

Great guy, great hunter!

Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mauser66
posted Hide Post
You can try Günhan Aktan of Ay-Fi Safaris.
http://www.ayfisafaris.com/

Regards:

Andy

Posts: 47 | Location: South Hungary | Registered: 26 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you may sen your enquiry at info@worldwidesafaris.net also

Posts: 36 | Location: Azerbaijan | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
I believe Turkey is technically an Asian country, but I figured the folks here in the European Hunting section would be able to give some input.

It seems like Turkey consistently produces GIANT wild boar. What is the reason for this? (genetics? diet? age?)

Also, if someone wanted to book a hunt for trophy wild boar in Turkey....where would be a good place to begin? Any particular outfitters that come highly recommended?

Wade,
Technically, Turkey is a European country. The Ural River is the dividing line between Asia and Europe. The Ural is well east of Turkey.
However, I doubt the big boars in Turkey know this, so go and shoot one!!

Posts: 10133 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Turkey is partially in Europe and partially in Asia. When you cross the bridge going east out of Istanbul across the Bosphorus Strait you go from Europe into Asia. The Asiatic part of Turkey is much larger than the European part.

If you go there to hunt, try to spend a few days in Istanbul. It is a really interesting city. I was able to make a few trips to Turkey in the 70s while I was in the Army. I really enjoyed working with the Turkish Army - I would not want to have to fight them. The Turks are great people. I hope to get back for an ibex hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am really interest in Hu ting wild boar.

Anyone have a general idea on price/cost, how many one can shoot on a license and taking guns into turkey.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have spent several months in Asian Turkey thanks to the military. Incirlik Air Base and Antalia.

I saw heaps of very large swine in both places.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lived in Ankara from 1965 to 1967 as my father was a flight instructor for the usaf trying to teach the Turks to fly jets that were military aid.The boar hunts we did were with local villagers using their dogs.I remember we paid each beater 10 lira a day which was a buck at the time.Our group had to be careful about giving out buckshot loads as most of the turks had blackpowder shotguns as rifles & handguns were illegal to own.Not so for americans as we traveled freely with our rifles and pistols,hunting all the big game,ducks,birds,etc.We killed a lot of wild boar and for a 12 year old kid it was never the same when we returned to the states to hunt & fish.Thanks for the memoirs

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote