Red Stag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:
If you want the biggest possible stag, probably at the highest prices I'd think about Laurentian Wildlife in Quebec.

New Zealand and Argentina both have huge stags, with expensive prices and fences.

The UK has huge stags with high fences on really small properties. Depending on the outfitter you can pay through the roof or get a good deal.

10kg type stags (315-350 type stags) are easily found in almost all of Mainland Europe.

Stags in Spain, Scandanavia and Scotland are smaller but still beautiful.

We have good sized stags in America, some over 400 inches of bone. Prices are comparable to high end stags in New Zealand and Argentina. They are on high fence places in Texas and other stags. Some places are very small like the UK.

Huge free range stags, eh it gets really hard.

Most of the places that have huge stags in Europe are going to have a fence.

There are huge stags on Burlburg in Germany and other places that are free range, but cost is equal if not more expensive than New Zealand.

I am not sure if I am misunderstood or what.

I am not saying every piece of land in Europe has 10 kg stags. Most stags shot in mainland Europe are probably 6-8 kg. 10kg is a huge stag in most of Europe in a no fence place.

Build a fence and 12-14 kgs becomes more of a sure thing.

I agree

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
I have hunted with Marius in Romania and shot a nice old stag.

I am not really into trophy size. I would hunt Romania again with Marius. But my focus will be wild boar. Does not seem like there is much venison. demand for large red deer stags as the meat is musky.

I really like Romania. Good food and people and more friendly than an Hungary.

Mike

Romanian Wild Boars can be body wise "REAL MONSTERS"

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Turkey has huge boars too.

Someone told me that central Asian boars are huge.

I saw some of the huge boars in Turkey, but never ran into a boat in Afghanistan.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Turkey has huge boars too.

Someone told me that central Asian boars are huge.

I saw some of the huge boars in Turkey, but never ran into a boat in Afghanistan.

Turkey has plenty of Big Tusker Boars in Quantity and Quality. Body Size is usually small.
Some Outfitters are able to "produce" multiply Gold Medal Boars on every Outing.
Hunt and Business Standards are questionable IMO

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some wild free range stags shot in Bulgaria all on one hunt. Not the best of several seasons~!

A 10.74 kg stag that I shot personally. As you can see from the photo the mass is carried all the way to the tips, typical of an old animal. Thus being heavy. The stag below of 11.1 kilos is not that much heavier but looks much bigger.

11.1 kilos shot by a client

temporary upload image

11.4 kilos shot by a client

The same stag

These were all FREE range, WILD stags, shot in large open hunting areas not released the night before in a pasture or shot behind a fence. They have good game management in some areas which cause these areas to produce big stags. The guides also prescout the areas and know where the big stags are so the chances of shooting a big stag in BG is very doable. By big I mean 10 to 11 kilos+. In these areas each year they shoot 1 or 2 in the 14 kilo range but one has to be lucky and have a fat wallet also. Yes there are also fenced areas where you can shoot a big stag, but these were not shot in such an area.

The thick mountainous areas do not produce thick heavy stags in BG.

In Romania from what i saw you would have to be very lucky to shoot stags like this on a regular basis.

In Hungary too one can target and shoot big free range stags.

I have also shot stags in Scotland, they are much smaller in body size when compared to these E. European stags. These are bodied big animals.

With regard to the weight of the stag. The horns and skull is cleaned and then weighed by 3 members of the game commission (wildlife department), who bring official scales with them. These weights and detailed horn measurements are recorded on an official certificate that is presented to the hunter along with the relevant medal, bronze, silver or gold. If a hunter is there when this takes place. If not it is sent on later. There is no skullduggery in this, so each client is assured the weight of trophy they are paying is on actual weight. Each hunting area also displays the trophies or certificates at the annual show and tell of all the hunting areas and of course its a matter of prestige to say our area had the best trophy stag or roe buck or whatever, so its all pretty kosher.

This is my personal first hand experience not some hearsay or pontification be internet arm chair experts !!!

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

Posts: 2530 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
I have hunted with Marius in Romania and shot a nice old stag.

I am not really into trophy size. I would hunt Romania again with Marius. But my focus will be wild boar. Does not seem like there is much venison. demand for large red deer stags as the meat is musky.

I really like Romania. Good food and people and more friendly than an Hungary.

Mike

Romanian Wild Boars can be body wise "REAL MONSTERS"

I thought I would hunt a lot of hogs in Florida. Zero interest.

The ones in India look ragtag too.

The ones in South Carolina are pathetic.

The European wild boar in winter coat in is a different league. I would hunt those and bush pig in Africa.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The same stag

Nice that the guy brought his daughter on the hunt!

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is my personal first hand experience not some hearsay or pontification be internet arm chair experts !!!

As mentioned to you offline i think most who commented are not the above.

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote