New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for roe deer and munjac
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The wife has expressed some interest in visiting the UK this year. I told her if I could spend a few days hunting roe and munjac we would make the trip happen.

So I'm looking for some basic info on seasons, areas, and recommendations for outfitters.

thanks in adavance

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
You should contact Fallow Buck on this forum. I am sure he could help you out or at least point you in the right direction.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1810 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, get with Kiri (Fallow Buck) he can hook you up.

DRSS

Posts: 624 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fishdog:
The wife has expressed some interest in visiting the UK this year. I told her if I could spend a few days hunting roe and munjac we would make the trip happen.

So I'm looking for some basic info on seasons, areas, and recommendations for outfitters.

thanks in adavance

Roe seasons - bucks 1st April - 20th October, the rut is usually end July, beginning of August but is highly variable and very short and for the 4 weeks or so either side the bucks will be highly elusive and uncooperative. In my opinion its better avoided and I'd target end April to beginning of June or September/October for more consistency. Areas - everywhere! The BDS did a survey which found Roe present in every 1km grid square in the UK ...but seriously good bucks tend to be very localised so you'd need to pay attention to the records of the outfitter - and make sure you go direct and not through an agent.

Muntjac - no season, they breed the whole year round. Highly localised distribution but strongest in southern England - but spreading very rapidly. Again check the records of your outfitter.

With a bit of care you should be able (at least in September, October) to combine these species with Fallow and Chinese Water deer.

There are hundreds of outfitters out there - have a look on the Stalking Directory website - there are many offers and a good few operators advertising.

Posts: 196 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
PM sent--

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help so far

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best time of year to come to combine Roe and Muntjac would be April.
If you came late March and crossed into April you would also be able to do Chinese Water Deer. Chinese Water Deer are only in Season from November to March (inclusive).
There are a couple of good outfitters, but some to be wary of. If you want to PM me I am happy to pass on details of some good ones.

Posts: 261 | Location: Invercargill | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote