THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    Lapland Capercaillie and Blackgrouse hunt.

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lapland Capercaillie and Blackgrouse hunt.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This weekend have i been hunting close to Dorotea with my friend Per-Erik.

We were skiing 100m from each other then a bird flew over me i stayed and waited for PE so we could go after it together. As we started PE saw a Capercaillie in a top of a pine about 500m away across a clearcut, and so one more and a third one. We approached them through a frosen peatbog with some trees we saw one more Caper at long range. After 150m we reached a second clearcut still 250-280m to the closest bird we both started to crawl out on a little open hill we had two capers aware of us but still sitting in the tree tops with stretched necks. We shot at the same bird after a count down, we hit it.
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the approach to the fallen bird i saw a Caper in a top of a pine, i sat down on my knee and against a tree and shot it about 160-180m away.
We shot the first one at 220m.
As it fell.

With my rifle.

Kimmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those pics don’t work.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry i have fixed them now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What rifles and calibers were you shooting? Sako originally marketed its little 7x33 for capers and fur seals.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nordic2:
Sorry i have fixed them now.

Thank you. Very nice! Can't wait to chase both of those!

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

So thats what they look like Wink

Congrats ! And thanks for posting. Great birds!

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2255 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use my Tikka .308w with competition bullets, my friend P-E use his CG M96 6,5*55 with aparture sight and fmj military ammo.

Yes the 7*33 are perfect for hunting capercallie with a dog, other popular calibers for hunting them with a barking dog are 22hornet, 222r, 22 savage. For the longer range specialized tree top hunting are 6,5*55,223r,.243w, 6,5-284, 6mmbr, most hunters do like i do and use their moose rifle like .308w, 6,5*55, 3006, 8*57, 7mmRM.

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing .308 isn't the caliber to use if you plan on putting it on the wall. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes sometimes i hunt them with my brother and his German Vorsteh, pointing dog.

.308w with FMJ are not so bad.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had very nice weather it had snowed 3" on a hard crust of old snow on the first day it was -3c. We saw five capercaillies in a small area that day and shot two of them. The second day it was sunny and -10c first we saw a bunch of Black Grouse but wasn`t fast enough to shoot at them, then we had a capercaillie sitting in dense forest but didn`t saw it after it moved until it flew at close range. At last we saw a caper sitting in a treetop 330m away we stalked it towards a dense forest but it had moved and it saw us first. We sa tracks of wolverine and otter.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
When shooting where do you aim on the bird?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
High in the bird.