New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300mag for bears?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i was wondering of any of you guys has shot european brown bear with a .300 magnum of some kind.

if so, i would very much like to hear what bullets you used, and did you consider the cartridge as enough?

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Steffen, I have not hunted bear. However, if I was fortunate to hunt for bear some day, I don't think I would have any reservations using 200gr Swift A Frames in my 300 Win Mag, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Minimum requirements for hunting bear here are:

- min cal 7mm
- min bullet weigh 11,0g
- E0=3000J

Wast majority of bears taken by our resident hunters is with 7x64/65R, .30-06, and 8x57.
Visiting clients (mainly Austrians, Italians and Germans) usually bring something bigger - 8x68S, 9,3x62/64/74R being most popular - 300WM is just fine - using premium bullets - monos like Barnes X/TSX, Naturalis, GSHV...or dual core A-frame, CDP, NP - with jacketed ones make sure they are bonded type such as Oryx, Woodleigh...Point is that bullet should withstand the impact on heavy shoulder bones and penetrate (in a straight line) through vitals - exit wounds are appreciated.

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my original thought was to load up my .300 Wby Mag with 220gr partitions(which should give me ca 859ms/2818fs) and use it as my moose/bear/boar load, and have lighter, faster load for smaller animals and whenever i need something with a flat trajectory.(reindeer, seal, etc.)

or use a 180gr TSX for everything from roe and up.

opinions?

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steffen-9.3:
use a 180gr TSX for everything from roe and up

thumb

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One rifle - one load - know the trajectory = Clean kills. Smiler

Rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian- That sounds like something I would tend to say, however that doesn´t mean that you are wrong, I belive that you are absolutely right.

Best regards Chris Wink

quote:
Originally posted by IanF:
One rifle - one load - know the trajectory = Clean kills. Smiler

Rgds Ian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend use Browning BAR II in .300 WinMag on brown bears. His choice is - Norma Barnes. Very good penetration and expansion.

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken one bear in Russia with my 300 H&H (200 gr. SwiftAframe) Any time I can recommend the combination.

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote