THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    What would you pair with a 9.3x62 for European hunting?

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you pair with a 9.3x62 for European hunting?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
Just curious as to what you would pair with a 9.3x62 for European hunting?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of andy_7x64
posted Hide Post
I would go for a 6.5x55 or 7x64 (or .270 Win.) as 2nd rifle for a „2-gun-battery“
for Europe (if the 9.3x62 is already defined as no. 1).
But you could do fine with just one rifle for most of the hunting in Europe.
(But in this case the 9.3x62 would not be my first choice,
although I use this caliber a lot at driven hunts.)

Posts: 119 | Location: Germany, South | Registered: 05 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 6,5 or a .308w

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 6,5*55, .270w,.308w or 7*64 you can find ammunition for them in most european countries.

I would think around the scope one rifle with a low magnification scope 1-4(1-8) the 9,3*62 for driven hunts and bigger game. The other 3-9-50,3-12*56 for longer range and/or night time hunting. A 6,5 are perfect for the smaller deer species(still works well for moose), then 308w have higher selection of ammunition.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.270 or .30-06

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
7x64 because you are going to use it on all the things you don't use a 9.3x62 on. If I was going to have two rifles, the 7x64 would be much lighter!

Like gams, reh, and stalking deer and mouflon. Ideally it would be something that was much lighter weight, like a Sauer 404 or Heym SR21.

In my mind the 9.3x62 would be a 4.5 Kg gun with a semi-weight barrel, so you can practice with it a bit in the schutzenkeino and it doesn't injury you too much on high volume volleys during a drive hunt. I have an R8 semi-weight 30-06, I think the weight is close to 4.5 kg or 10 pounds with a scope and mounts.

I'd have a scope that would work well on the 9.3x62 for sitting in the high seat waiting on Mr. Oink to come to the corn, and driven hunts.

Something like a 2.5-10x56.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be cool to have a 300 Win or 8x68S, but wildlife managers would not be very happy with you on the damage on roe deer.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing. The 9.3 is a great caliber all by itself.

Posts: 10079 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Easy, the second 9,3x62 barrel of the double rifle!

But on a serious note what do you plan to hunt and where would be my questions ?

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I had a chance opportunity to hunt once in Europe while on a vacation with my dad and took a Roebuck. I would like to go back and hunt again, probably Mountain game. My thought was a 6.5x?, .270, or 7x64, but wanted to see what those who live or have hunted in Europe suggested before offering that opinion. I used to have a 7x64 and had great success hunting with it. I am also a fan of the 6.5 millimeter bore diameter. I have never had a .270, but it just sort of fits in the middle of the other two.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

I have shot roe and gams in the mountains with a .243, red deer with a .30-06, murmel with a Hornet, ibex with a .270 and 7mm. And would do the same again.

I guess its the old adage of shot what you are comfortable and confident with.

Whatever you choose, I hope when it happens that you have a wonderful trip and memorable hunt!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bit of topic but that would make a lovely gun for a driven hunt and close called in Stags

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/...x74r/201124120454001

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
I had a chance opportunity to hunt once in Europe while on a vacation with my dad and took a Roebuck. I would like to go back and hunt again, probably Mountain game. My thought was a 6.5x?, .270, or 7x64, but wanted to see what those who live or have hunted in Europe suggested before offering that opinion. I used to have a 7x64 and had great success hunting with it. I am also a fan of the 6.5 millimeter bore diameter. I have never had a .270, but it just sort of fits in the middle of the other two.

For most European game a .30-06 or 7x64 is perfect. Of course anything from .270+ will cover most things though

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have also thought that my 16-gauge/7x65R drilling would pair well with my 9.3x62.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the basis that a 9.3x62 will most likely be more a big / dangerous game type rifle fitted with an appropriate sights for that sort of work, I would pair it with a lighter rifle that can reach out and take a Red Deer or Chamois in the mountains, but also a Roe deer in the lowlands. Choice of sights is possibly more important - something in the 4-12x42 sort of range, mounted on a reasonably long barrel magazine, single shot or combination type gun. Calibre - one of the non magnum 7mm’s 7-08, 7x57, 7x64 or 7x65R will all do the job.

Posts: 977 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Hey Boomer.

Just take the 9.3X62. You aren't going to kill anything too dead. Another angle to ponder is weight.
A lightweight like a Merkel K1 or K3 or even a featherweight repeater would be nice for walks in the hilly terrain. The K1 easy to handle with the shorter barrels too and 1 MOA accurate. Mine is carried without using a sling. 7X57, .30-'06 .270, .280 whatever.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5077 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Get SAX 10g (153 gr) bullet, load it to factory ammo velocity (980 m/s) and you don't have to pair 9,3x62 with anything.

Posts: 2026 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
I have also thought that my 16-gauge/7x65R drilling would pair well with my 9.3x62.

I know a lot of German hunters, and was shocked by the number of people that had combination guns but didn't really hunt that much with them.

I was never part of a revier, I hunted as a paying guest my entire time in Germany. So my thoughts are probably not 100% accurate.

Depending on the revier, and region, and more than anything the pechter (revier owner) will depend on the hunting style.

The local revier next to my house only hunted wildboar, and roe and left foxes to be.

The two reviers I hunted primarily, let foxes be as well. They could not be shot during drive hunts, or while sitting in a high seat waiting for roe deer. But then wild boar were not allowed to be shot in the forest unless you were on a drive hunt.

Another pechter I knew killed every fox, feral dog, feral cat, racoon and any other predator as soon as he saw them. And he trapped predators.

Rules like this drive people toward guns that they best thing fit this bill.

A friend of mine had many combination guns but did not hunt with them as he said you always had the wrong caliber.

Other friends from my reviers had opposite thoughts. They wanted a BochBuchsFlinte rifle/shotgun combo or a BergStutzen (two different rifle calibers in an over and under double rifle).

I personally would rather have a 6.5mm, 7mm, or .308 caliber bolt rifle repeater for 90% of all stand and stalking hunting. I'd prefer a 9.3 caliber bolt rifle for drive hunts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had while in europe a 9.3x62 with two scopes.
meopta 2000 7x50 in german 4 and a sb 1.25-4x20 and a zastava 7x64 with leupolds 3-9x40 in german 4 and a 2-7x33 duplex.

all was covered with that.

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I would take my Steyr M/S guns. '03 6.5X54 and the '05 9X56. Both light to carry and effective calibers. If I needed heavier the 9.3X62 would get the nod. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
7x64/9.3x62 is a perfect combo for Europe. Works well in Canada too!

Posts: 231 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
I would take my Steyr M/S guns. '03 6.5X54 and the '05 9X56. Both light to carry and effective calibers. If I needed heavier the 9.3X62 would get the nod. Be Well, Packy.

Neither one of those would be legal in Germany (and most of the rest of Europe) for anything other than roe deer.

Both of them produce less than 2000 Joules of energy at 100 meters.

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
6.5x55 nicely complements the 9.3x62

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Based on original question, I'd also side with the 6,5x55. I've both 9,3 and 6,5 and have hunted with both in Germany. You could just use the 9,3 and be happy Cool

However, the majority of game I shot was with 30-06 and from Ansitz, in a Bockdrilling. Shot a lot of fox with the 20 ga and Hornet, but the '06 took all the deer and boar.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted three years in Germany and killed over 30 head of game... Wild Boar, Red Deer, Roe Deer, Fallow Deer, Chamois and Mouflon. I used the only gun I owned at the time .270 Winchester and used 130gr Remington Core-lokts for most of the animals as that was all I could get through the Rod and Gun club on post and I never shipped my reloading setup or had time to mess with it while I was there. Worked like a charm and never wanted for more on anything.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I couldn't decide between 6.5x55 and 7x64 so I am building one of each.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So a new problem to choose a rifle for each morning. Smiler

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
7x57

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
7x57.
There is really no need for discussion.

Posts: 17010 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
7x57

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
7x57.
There is really no need for discussion.

I agree with these guys 100%. The 7x57 is such an obvious choice. I don't see how received so little support on this thread.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Maybe the 275 Rigby will get more support then. On one of the Earl of Marlborough Rigby barrels that I make.
And for those who do not get attempts at humor, they are the same thing, albeit the 275 has two chambers; one for 140 HV and one for the 175s.

Posts: 17010 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id do it backwards and pair a 9.3x62 with my 30-06 being my primary gun, or just go with the 30-06 and some 200 gr. Accubonds.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
I love the 9.3 x 62 and wouldn't think twice about making it the only gun I took. Of course, recoil from that cartridge does not bother me at all. Others might be affected more. I have more than one made on Mauser actions and the felt recoil is really not too different than from any of the .300 magnums.

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Nothing. The 9.3 is a great caliber all by itself.

Second.

I have taken my 375 H&H to Bulgaria for Fallow, Boar and Stag and to Romania for Brown Bear. It wasn't a bad choice at all. 9.3x62 is a staple in a lot of hunting there.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote