Notify
Tools

Norwegian Lynx
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mr. G
posted
Hi all!

Been a long time since i've visited this forum. But every now and then I do log in just to check new pictures and reed about your experiences.

However, the lynx hunt here in Norway started 1 of february. We've seen a few lynx, but they managed to get away...until this friday Smiler

Just thought I'd share a few pictures of this great cat. Here is the result of a great team effort, a 23kg male lynx. The lucky hunter this time is my brother.

A few more pictures can be seen here if you're interested. My blog (unfortunately norwegian text only)

Posts: 142 | Location: Norway, Telemark | Registered: 16 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what a trophy! Congratulations

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice cat. Congrat's on your success.

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. G.,

Waidmannsheil!

Wow - a spectacular trophy.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. G:
Hi all!

Been a long time since i've visited this forum. But every now and then I do log in just to check new pictures and reed about your experiences.

However, the lynx hunt here in Norway startet 1 of february. We've seen a few lynx, but they managed to get away...until this friday Smiler

Just thought I'd share a few pictures of this great cat. Here is the result of a graet team effort, a 23kg male lynx. The lucky hunter this time is my brother.

A few more pictures can be seen here if you're interested. My blog (unfortunately norwegian text only)

That's a beauty and nice rifle too. Thanks for sharing. tu2

Posts: 134 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a really nice Lynx. Congratulations!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smiler

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smiler +1

Have a good day.

Posts: 125 | Location: Deep woods of Norway | Registered: 24 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waidmannsheil!

What a great looking Lynx.

Don

Life Member SCI &, NRA

Posts: 161 | Location: Reno NV and Betty's Bay RSA | Registered: 13 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
Stort Jävlajättegrattis!

Thats a great lynx

Posts: 292 | Location: Northernmost Sweden | Registered: 17 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Great color and size!! Envious!

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mr. G
posted Hide Post
Thank you all!

I'll forward all your greetings too my brother Smiler

Posts: 142 | Location: Norway, Telemark | Registered: 16 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of swenative
posted Hide Post
Congrats!! It doesn´t looks so fat, so I guess it was a pretty big one Smiler

Posts: 49 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 14 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the most beautiful cats in the world.Did you use dogs?

Great cat

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome Lynx, congrats to you, your brother and the whole team!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking cat

Posts: 19356 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
DAMN! What a cat. Absolutely gorgeous.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. G that's a considerably bigger kitty than our Ozark bobcats!! Nice! Good for your brother!

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lynx can have a weight over 30kg.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biggest bobcat I ever heard of around here was 22Kg and that's very rare. Most run around 12-15Kg.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
This is (to the best of my knowledge) the biggest lynx shot here in my county, 34 kg is a big cat...

http://www.jaktforlivet.se/nyheter/item/34-rekordlo?

Posts: 292 | Location: Northernmost Sweden | Registered: 17 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mr. G
posted Hide Post
chilcotin hillbilly, yes we do use dogs. First we cut off and try to circle the lynx. This is very challenging because of our rough and steep terrain. When we know where the lynx is located, we place all available hunters (mostly 10-30 hunters) around the area where we are going to hunt. Then 1-3 dogs with their leaders follow the tracks all the way to where the lynx is resting. The dogs are then let free of their leash and the fun begins as they chase the lynx trough the terrain leading it to one of the hunters around Smiler This sounds very easy, but its not! The rough terrain and sometimes deep snow makes us lucky if we succeed 1 out of 5.... maybe as little as 1 out of 10 attempts.

9.3x75R, the biggest I know of from where I live is 26kg. Shot in 1997.

P-A Åhlen, 34kg is a monster cat Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A beautiful animal that I would love to see reintroduced into the Scottish Wilds. I suppose you rarely see them and can only really catch up with them with dogs.

Sadly in the UK there is a real anti anything that could possibly eat something, and reintroductions won't happen because a few maggoty old sheep (which might sell for £20 to £30 on a good day) might get eaten. We need some top predators to balance out the ecosystem.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr G why are your dogs not treeing these cats, they will tree if given enough pressure.

This would really simplify the process and increase success.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym-
Lynx do a lot of damage to our roedeer and reindeer populations. But its fun to hunt lynx more fun than roedeer (reindeer is semi domestic anyway).

One of Us
Picture of Mr. G
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chilcotin hillbilly:
Mr G why are your dogs not treeing these cats, they will tree if given enough pressure.

This would really simplify the process and increase success.

I totally agree Smiler and I would love for it to happend more often!! But I reckon because of the, at times, almost vertical terrain, the lynx has such an advantage when it comes to moving around. The lynx is such a good climber and sometimes you would just not believe how it managed to climb those mountain sides. The dogs just dont make it. They get stuck on a cliff or in the deep snow.
But it does happend occasionally that the dogs tree them too.

I'll post a few photos later for you to see what terrain we're hunting Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Mr. G
posted Hide Post
A few photos to illustrate some of the places we hunt our lynx. Often pictures don't give the right perspective. It is worse than what it looks Smiler

Here dogs have no problem, but I sure do Smiler

Check out the terrain in the background. Imagine the rocks to be wet and icy

Some of the better places

Tracking the lynx up the hill

One of the dogs (Simen) eager to follow

The reward!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice pictures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is tough terrain but do able.
I have a DVD from Sweden where the dogs trail the lynx in easy country letting the lynx walk along in front of them. All those dog where Plott breeding and showed no grit at all,letting the lynx lay down in front of them and they stood back an barked from 2 meters away.

There wasn't a dog in the DVD i would have in kennel.I was thinking the style of dog might be the problem

To get them treeing you need to run the air out of them.

Keep putting up pictures I really enjoy them.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

One of Us
Picture of Mr. G
posted Hide Post
What style of dogs do you use? We also use plott dogs and and a russian breed of foxhound (dont know the english name). How many dogs do you use at once?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I run quite a variety of hounds, leopard, walkers, and Lep x walker for the most part Your lynx are bigger but I know that my dogs would try and kill them if given the chance,asthey would with a bayed up lion.
It sounds like you guys the old school Mtn Lion hunters, walking with the dogs until the cat is jumped. I guess it is a good way to get your hunting club involved.I have a couple of my dogs in Norway with one of my past hunters. You should look him up and talk to him.

Keep posting pictures, I quite enjoy them.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know that my dogs would try and kill them if given the chance,asthey would with a bayed up lion.

That's what I seen to a good pack well stretch a cat if they catch them on the ground.

One of Us
Picture of Mr. G
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Keep posting pictures, I quite enjoy them.

I will if anything interesting shows up Smiler Right now the lynx hunt is done within my hunting area. The quota we're allowed to shoot is 6 lynx within an area of 6 municipalities. So I've got to wait until next year before any more lynx can be hunted.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What breed of dog is a leopard?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norseman:

leopard dog

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I thought it was a cur.

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Great thread and pictures!

We have lots of lynx but aren't allowed to hunt them with dogs, we have some terrain where it would be nigh impossible to keep up or even get to in our limited daylight during the prime hunting month's. Your Norwegian Lynx are beautiful, I enjoys your and Doug's posts to the Max!!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mr. G
posted Hide Post
Here's the cat that my brother shot last year. Same lynx as pictured at the top. Great looking trophy!

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful cat