Find
Notify
Tools

Driven Boar Trip Proposal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen

Sorry for the delay in getting something up about the boar hunt, but I have been researching and checking far and wide to make sure we got a good trip proposal together.

My suggestion (and I am entirely open to other suggestions) is for a 3 day shoot from 19-23 November 2009 in Croatia with Artemis Hunting Tours. Tomo Svetic runs this agency and I have hunted with him on two previous occasions - I can vouch for his bona fides. The boar are wild and hard earned and each trip has resulted in some medal boar being shot.

The a price is 1500 euros each, including flights from London, England. Alternatively, if you arrange your own flights to Zaghreb, the price is 1250 euros all inclusive.

What does 'all inclusive' mean?
The price would include pick-up from the airport in Zaghreb, all meals and transfers, three full days of driven shooting in Croatia with no trophy fees or limits. The only things which are excluded is alcoholic drinks (which are, in my experience reasonably priced at local rates).

In my experience the hunting is very wild and the usual bag is between 10-15 boar a day. Some days less, some days more. This of course depends on the ability of the guns.

Tomo is a member of these forums though he doesn't post often - I will tell him about this thread so that he can comment and answer any further questions himself. I am confident he can arrange follow-on days for other Croatian game or for shooting trophy boar from high seats.

Although we are all sportsmen, I must stress that there is no guarantee on this hunt. I had many shooting opportunities on my first trip in 2008 and took a few pigs, but only fired off two shots in January 2009 - although other hunters took several boar each.

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to add that I am not 'making' anything from this trip. I really enjoy driven boar hunting - more adrenaline than shooting an unwounded buffalo (for me) and I hope we can get enough people together (say 13-15) to have a great time together and whack some piggies.

Cheers

Gabriel

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boghossian:
I just wanted to add that I am not 'making' anything from this trip. I really enjoy driven boar hunting - more adrenaline than shooting an unwounded buffalo (for me) and I hope we can get enough people together (say 13-15) to have a great time together and whack some piggies.

Cheers

Gabriel

Thank you Gabriel for doing the leg work on this.

I fully understand that wild hunting is wild hunting, I would consider it in poor taste to harangue you over the bag!

Perhaps Tomo will make his presence felt as you say and I will direct questions on the minutiae to him rather than you as I know how busy you are salute

How was your head this morning BTW? Big Grin beer

Amir

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gabriel, thanks a ton for looking into this. Just a few questions for clarification:

- arrival is Thursday 19-Nov, no hunting on this day?? Pick up from Zaghreb airport until when? How long from the airport to hunting area??

- 3 full days of hunting: Fri, Sat, Sun 20-22nd of Nov?? How many drives per day??

- departure Mon 23rd of Nov??

- what is the situation on landmines in the area hunted?? (I know this sounds crazy, but sadly in recent past it has been reality)

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I make the trip (and I'm planning on it) what will I need in the way of paperwork -- will I need a VISA to enter the country and what will I need to do in order to bring in a rifle and ammunition?

Does he have a web-site?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all your work putting this trip together.

Now for the questions Wink Can we rent rifles from the Outfitter??

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
bog thanks for the work done, i will check my calender, as of now it seems that im on.

TP dont worry about renting, unless its a crime in croatia you can borrow one from me.

again thanks bog

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Artemis1
posted Hide Post
Hi guys,

Thanks Bog for posting it Wink

My name is Tomo Svetic and I'm director of Artemis Hunting ltd.

For this dates the details are:

- the flight is from London on 19.11.
- the driving to the estate from the airport takes 2-2.5 hours
- hunts will be on 20.,21. and 22.Nov.
- return flight is on 23.11.
- the paper work I need to issue all the permits are copies of your FAC and passport
- to import a gun/rifle you have to pay extra 110KN or cca.17 Euros
- we have a few rifles/guns to rent but you can always borrow one from your friend

There is an option to stay the last night in Zagreb in hotel at extra charge. This is convenient because the airport is 25min away and if your flight is after 12pm we can go to the local gunshops.

Unfortunately in this game some hunters have more luck some less but that's the way it is. I missed on last 2 days in Janury everything (around 8 boar). Anyway it is was a great fun.

If we arrange this trip you'll probably have not shared room. The food and accommodation is good.

Cheers,

Tomo

Please do not hesitate to ask me. beer

Hunting is a lifestyle more than anything else. http://www.artemis-hunting.com/

Posts: 199 | Location: UK | Registered: 13 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tomo, I'm quite interested; 5 questions, please:

- since, in case, I will drive to Croatia, will slovenian autorities recognize the European firearm pass?

- are semiauto rifles (Browning BAR) allowed for hunting?

- " the paper work I need to issue all the permits are copies of your FAC ... ". What is FAC?

- Where is situated the estate?

- Will be driven hunts with dogs?

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for stepping in here Tomo....guys ask away!

one of us
posted Hide Post
As an American what type of documentation or paperwork would you need from me if I join the trip?

Also, as I'd be coming from the US I'd like to spend more than 3 days hunting. What would be available for me if either came a few days before the group hunt or stayed for a few days after the group hunt? I'm open to stalking or sitting for boar or for some walk-up bird hunting if it's available.

Also, what type of weather would be typical in mid-November? Snow on the ground? Temperatures?

A few other question, at least for now, maybe some more details on how the hunt is run?

Will we be in pre-set slightly elevated stands?

Will someone accompany each hunter?

How many drives a day would be typical?

Typical shooting distances?

Typical terrain?

With respect to firearms, the only rifles I have are bolt-actions --- probably not the best choice especially if I'm suddenly in a target-rich opportunity. I've been considering buying a new gun that would be used for this trip (and others later) some I've looked at include one of the new model Zoli O/U rifles in 9.3x74R and the nice little 20ga SxS with the rifled barrels I mentioned in another post. I'm not sure just what would be legal but one of the Marlin lever-actions in something like the 45/70 or 450 Marlin might not be a bad choice and if slug guns are OK then something like a Benelli with a rifled barrel and low-powered scope might even be the better choice... all this depending on just what is legal and how appropriate it is for the shooting we might expect.

Any thing you can suggest in the way of a rifle especially anything WE SHOULD NOT BRING?

What type of rifles do you have available?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some good questions, Bill.....

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Many good questions Bill.....
beer
A

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Artemis1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
Tomo, I'm quite interested; 5 questions, please:

- since, in case, I will drive to Croatia, will slovenian autorities recognize the European firearm pass?

- are semiauto rifles (Browning BAR) allowed for hunting?

- " the paper work I need to issue all the permits are copies of your FAC ... ". What is FAC?

- Where is situated the estate?

- Will be driven hunts with dogs?

Slovenia is teh part of EU and EU firearm certificate will be recognized.

Semi auto rifles are permited to use in Croatia.

Pasport copy and FAC copy (firearms certificate).Basicaly FAC is anything which proves that your rifle is registered on your name and you can use it in your country.

The estate is 2-2.5 hours east from Zagreb. The map can be provided by mail.

Dogs will be used for hunts all the time.

Thanks for asking me. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Artemis1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
As an American what type of documentation or paperwork would you need from me if I join the trip?

Also, as I'd be coming from the US I'd like to spend more than 3 days hunting. What would be available for me if either came a few days before the group hunt or stayed for a few days after the group hunt? I'm open to stalking or sitting for boar or for some walk-up bird hunting if it's available.

Also, what type of weather would be typical in mid-November? Snow on the ground? Temperatures?

A few other question, at least for now, maybe some more details on how the hunt is run?

Will we be in pre-set slightly elevated stands?

Will someone accompany each hunter?

How many drives a day would be typical?

Typical shooting distances?

Typical terrain?

With respect to firearms, the only rifles I have are bolt-actions --- probably not the best choice especially if I'm suddenly in a target-rich opportunity. I've been considering buying a new gun that would be used for this trip (and others later) some I've looked at include one of the new model Zoli O/U rifles in 9.3x74R and the nice little 20ga SxS with the rifled barrels I mentioned in another post. I'm not sure just what would be legal but one of the Marlin lever-actions in something like the 45/70 or 450 Marlin might not be a bad choice and if slug guns are OK then something like a Benelli with a rifled barrel and low-powered scope might even be the better choice... all this depending on just what is legal and how appropriate it is for the shooting we might expect.

Any thing you can suggest in the way of a rifle especially anything WE SHOULD NOT BRING?

What type of rifles do you have available?

Hi,
It would be a great pleasure to have a guest from US on driven days.

I'll need the copies of your passport and the copy of your hunting license and the copy of your rifle license.

You can stay longer and hunt more but the details and everything you can get by E-mail.
please write to: tomo@artemis-hunting.com

November in Croatia can be mild or with snow but usually the temp is between 3-15 Celsius. Anyway I always contact my guest a few days prior the trip to tell them the situation on the ground.

We won't use the stands for shooting at least not for 2009. season.

Every hunter will get the instructions how to shoot and all the rules before we start the hunt. Hunters won't be accompanied.

The tipical distances are 30-60m and the terrain can be flat or in the hills. For this group I think that will be flat area with open woods and thick woods.

Bolt action rifles in good hands can be good as semi in mine Wink but 9.3x74R or big bore lever action are great choice with low mag scope on it. Rifled barreled 20 ga shotguns with good sabot slugs are just fine but I'd stick with the rifle, because I prefer to have a blood trail if the boar is wounded.

Don't bring sound moderators or anything lighter than 270win,7x57 or bigger than any 9.3cal.

I have available steyer prohunter in 30-06,Mausers 8x57JS,Benelli R1, Win pump action 12/3" with 600grain brennekas slugs,8x68S,7x64 and I hope that I'll get one or two in 9.3x62 until August. All rifles are zeroed and enough to do the job.

Because you are from USA you can contact me by E-mail to get the offer for the days out of driven days.

I have more and morre big game hunters from USA.

A link for you

http://www.huntingreport.com/current_issue.cfm?id=450

Thanks for questiones killpc

beer

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Artemis1:
Rifled barreled 20 ga shotguns with good sabot slugs are just fine but I'd stick with the rifle, because I prefer to have a blood trail if the boar is wounded.

or bigger than any 9.3cal.

beer

tomo

is rifled 12 or 10 bores okay ?

best regards

peter

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by peterdk:
quote:
Rifled barreled 20 ga shotguns with good sabot slugs are just fine but I'd stick with the rifle, because I prefer to have a blood trail if the boar is wounded.

or bigger than any 9.3cal.

beer

tomo

is rifled 12 or 10 bores okay ?

best regards

peter

Oh yes please!!!

Bring 'em anyway dancing

Regards,

GH

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
dont worry amir

i proberly will anyway, it still is the best medicine for wild boar(6 drams of black and a round ball) also it is real fun to shoot.

best regards

peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Edited out, due to request.

/C

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Husqvarna M98:
Alright, I have been lurking around this thread enough,

I just had a vision of Amir flat on his back, (ass) with a savage smile on his face, a 10 gauge ds in his hands and a cloud of smoke that would have shamed the fog at Lÿtzen,

I am still laughing so hard my eyes have tears in them.

Famous last words, "enjoy the recoil, exhale, relax and roll with it"

Sorry this was OT, I might also add that I had the very same thing happen to me years ago, so I have no bragging right what so ever.

Amir, I am sorry, clap but I would applaude you should it come to that.

Best regards Chris

Hi Chris,

As I settle into my role as comic relief for the European AR members I will just pain you to admit certain facts:

1. I was a stalwart for the 2nd XV at school and recoil does not bother me in the slightest, besides with a muzzle loader you have no idea how long it will be from flash to bang; thereby promoting the good marksmanship practice of being surprised every time the bugger goes off.

2. Regarding my arse, whilst in it’s current state of festive plumpity ( pronounced plum-pi-tay) I would be mad not to use it as a shock absorber, should circumstance warrant it.

3. I cannot help the savagery of my grin, in all circumstances where its aspect has been made public the originating irony was savage-er still.

4. In connection with the fog, all I can argue is probably. The word “fog” still makes Brian break out in a cold sweat.

The above notwithstanding, roll on the smoke pole! After all these years reading Baker and Selous, I do so want to feel what the heroes of old hunted with!

Thanks for laugh Chris; you would be proud of me I made it in through a foot of snow to work this morning to find that I’m the only bugger here!

You would laugh at soft Londoners with that hard-bitten contempt of the snow chained, Volvo-ed Swede used to the unforgiving tundra, but I don’t care.

I’ve got a view from my window of the A4, it’s like a surreal mix of “Destruction Derby” and “Celebrity Come Dancing on Ice” except there are no Celebrities and the Ice is cunningly disguised as the A4.

Oh well, where’s that book on personal injury….

Take care mate and all the best,

Amir

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
dont worry amir

i proberly will anyway, it still is the best medicine for wild boar(6 drams of black and a round ball) also it is real fun to shoot.

best regards

peter

Thank you Sir.

Any chance of bringing them to Baldock?

For historical interest of course Big Grin

ATB,

Amir

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
amir
im not participating at baldock. my calender and wife did not agree about me going, but im in and out of london on the 10 of feb. to pick up a few guns.
but that is before i get them tuned up, keep your eyes on the double rifle section. i show most of the guns there.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...60101804/m/218109489
this is my new 12 bore that i will pick up on the 10

best regards

peter

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
amir im not participating at baldock. my calender and wife did not agree about me going, but im in and out of london on the 10 of feb. to pick up a few guns.
but that is before i get them tuned up, keep your eyes on the double rifle section. i show most of the guns there.

best regards

peter

Sorry to hear it, I have fortunatly managed to avoid the whole "wife" thing, being a wide-eyed loner of the old school, and will endevour to take such things into account in future!

Seriously, depending on what the plan is for the 10th there may well be a mini-AR drinks reception in the offing, It would be a pleasure to imbibe a spot of the amber nectar with you.

Regards,

Amir

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As above, per request.

/C

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Husqvarna M98:
Amir, it´s either you or me as to regards to comic relief,

last year at Baldock they had me drinking olive oil, who said swedes can´t drink?

I do a the "Swedish chef" fairly well, wonder why?

I am usually the one to find the deapest sinkhole, bog, loose rock and so on, remember the crossing of the field at Kiri´s place last time,

I was knee deep in mud.

Best regards Chris

rotflmo I do!

Thank you for not mentioning my little faux-pas on the same trip! All I will say is that as the day went on, cracks were bound to appear....

Regards,

Amir.

PS. Boggy, sorry for the Hijack sofa

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
amir

that sounds like we have to make a plan.

best regards

peter

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
What is the deadline for signing up? Would it be possible for me to get in on this with a British friend who currently lives in the USA? I'd like to bring a 12 bore Paradox.

I'm sure Tomo will be along to give you a hard and fast deadline but my guess would be that by the time it's too late for him to sort out the paperwork, it'll be too late to book a flight.

These things tend not to need much more than necessary paperwork and cash Big Grin

It remains to be seen what sort of documents are needed from you Americans with regard to rifle ownership and hunting licenses, Tomo again will chime in no doubt.

It would be wonderful to have a few American members along for the trip, especially those with such good taste in musketry!

Pm Boggy!

Regards,

Amir

one of us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the give-and-take repartee as much as anyone but suggest we try to keep this thread, as much as possible, on point for questions and details of the trip.

The private repartee might best be served by using the PM feature.

DB Bill aka Bill George

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I enjoy the give-and-take repartee as much as anyone but suggest we try to keep this thread, as much as possible, on point for questions and details of the trip.

+1

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry about that mate, we're a gregarious bunch who sometimes get carried away with craic and tend to forget the big picture, we also remember that in an emergency, Tomo may be contacted directly.

Private email address

Regards,

Amir

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to worry! I have several grand-children and I'm quite used to them acting out in public. dancing I'm sure you'll outgrow it. beer

DB Bill aka Bill George

One of Us
Picture of Artemis1
posted Hide Post
Hi guys,
Sorry for my late response but I was in the UK for a while.
12 rifled bore is a great medicine for prety much anything.
The paper work for the USA hunters is simple and the same as for the Europeans. Wink
It would be really nice to have all of you there to try guns in the filds.

Stay well beer

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi guys,
The paper work for the USA hunters is simple and the same as for the Europeans. Wink

Stay well beer

and so the adventure begins....

cheers

peter

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Hi guys,

Stay well beer

and so the adventure begins....

cheers

peter

At the risk of waking grandpa;

Bring the ten as well Peter! dancing

Chris, thumb

Regards,

Amir

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
dont worry amir, it will come along with me and the 12 bore Wink

best regards

peter

one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
This driven hunt sounds interesting.
I am tempted to give it a try and see how different it is from the Iberian “montaria”. And the chance to hunt with other AR members is also very appealing.

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by b.martins:
This driven hunt sounds interesting.
I am tempted to give it a try and see how different it is from the Iberian “montaria”. And the chance to hunt with other AR members is also very appealing.

The more the merrier!

Regards,

Amir

One of Us
Picture of Artemis1
posted Hide Post
12 bore rifled is a great medicine for anything.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tomo,

I've been lurking, also. Most in the US don't have any sort of rifle license or proof of ownership. Will the usual US Customs Form we get before taking international flights work?

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure but I think the Customs Form and a State hunting license will suffice. I've never hunted in Europe but I always ask the Mayor of the city I live in to write a letter on city stationary stating, among other things. that "I'm a responsible citizen and he/she would appreciate any consideration they might give me" and ends it with an invitation to call them with any questions and invites them to visit out city if they ever come to California.

You'd be suprised how a simple letter like this can impress other local officials.

DB Bill aka Bill George