New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spanish Ibex upgrades?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you were considering a Spanish Ibex hunt for either Gredos or Beceite, would yoiu bother to upgrade from a bronze to either silver or gold? It looks like gold is about double the cost. So, wondering if the increased size is equal in visual impact as the impact is to the wallet.

Posts: 369 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Two things to know about Spanish Ibex!

First book through a European agent, most of the American agents have a 30-50% upcharge on them. Either by the agent or by the outfitter.

Caracal on these boards is a German who has the best prices.

Second the upcharge on horn length really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Several friends have killed them at various lengths. It's nice to shoot a gold, but for the price of a gold you can generally complete a grand slam of all four species.

I used to live near the Ronda Ibex population in Cadiz, Spain.

Gold's are bigger, but not sure it matters enough.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
just like BWW said, I do offer all Ibex of Spain (and all major species of Europe).

You are right that the prices on Beceite and Gredos are raising quite heavily with size. It is a personal choice what everyone likes best, but I believe there is a sweetspot of price/size ratio in the high bronce/silver range.

If you email me at dennis@dr-safaris.com I can walk you through the scoring system and give you examples for all the sizes and medals. I think the best way to understand and decide about spanish Ibex size, is to see pictures of different animals on the ground.

I have posted some prices here: Link

All the Best,
Dennis

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2063 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for your responses. Very much appreciated.

Posts: 369 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can only speak on the Gredos hunts on the reserve. It is literally a walk in the park. Unless you really really care about the score, I wouldn't pay the $$ for gold. I bought the permit direct and did it DIY. If I were to do it again, I'd just go for something in a lower-tier and just have fun looking at the giants along the way. It's a fun hunt but easily done in a day. You'll go with local wardens (required) and they know the animals very well. Tell them what you want and they will probably know the animal that fits the bill.

Some info on the categories and different permits

http://www.cabramontes.es/

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bghntr416:
If you were considering a Spanish Ibex hunt for either Gredos or Beceite, would yoiu bother to upgrade from a bronze to either silver or gold? It looks like gold is about double the cost. So, wondering if the increased size is equal in visual impact as the impact is to the wallet.

Not a chance in tarnation!

I refuse to hunt any animal that has a graduated scale of trophy fee.

When I hunt, I take my chance of what I get.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66666 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

I know this is an older thread, but I agree with Saeed completely. Especially on a free range hunt, the guy that's willing to hike the hardest, highest and and farthest should have as much chance at a trophy as the guy with the larger wallet.

I might see differently with a game farm hunt, but not free range.

Posts: 468 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Ibex globally are a sellers market.

They are going to sell them for whatever they can get for them.

The difference between a gold and a representative is another 6-8 years worth of life.

The risk in allowing them to get to be gold medals is that they can be killed by each other, an avalanche, eagles, lynx, bears, or wolves or poached during that next 6-8 years.

I don't like the price increases either, but there is a reason they do it.

Gold represents another 6-8 years of managing that animal.

Some ibex in Spain are fenced and some are not.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RickyClark
posted Hide Post
quote:

In my opinion no and not for the price it costs to upgrade, its a wonderful trophy but an easy hunt

lets make a plan

Posts: 98 | Location: England | Registered: 29 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Absolutely!!!

I did the slam in Dec. 2019- this was one of the most memorable hunts I've ever had. Spain is just beautiful- the people, the places, the food. Just wonderful.

That being said, as in many hunting situations, unlike locals who see their respective animals on a daily basis, I couldn't tell the difference between an exceptional animal and a good one on my own and had to be shown.

My recomemndation is to ask for a good representative animal and shoot what you see.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So its more like a shopping tour not a hunt, pick the product pay and go home.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nordic2:
So its more like a shopping tour not a hunt, pick the product pay and go home.

Sort of sounding that way. I'm going in November, hopefully I can make more out of it than that. Will stick with a representative one, screw the sliding scale.

Posts: 468 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote