THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    Hunt report: Sierra Nevada Ibex in Spain

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunt report: Sierra Nevada Ibex in Spain
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted
Dear fellow hunters. Here's my report from a hunt I recently had in Spain.

Dates travelling: 10-14th of Nov. 2008
Dates hunting: 11-13th of Nov. 2008
Area: Sierra Nevada Mountains of southeastern Spain. Close to Iznalloz (20 minutes drive from Granada).
Outfitter: Spain Outfitters
PH/Guide: Alfonso/Jesus.
Booking agency: own arrangement.
Rifle/load: Schultz & Larsen M97DL, .30-06sprg. 165 Hornady Interbond.

Here's a couple of maps, showing were our hunt were conducted.

I booked this hunt directly with Alfonso Angel Peralbo Cano, who's running Spain Outfitters, and regulary post on AR. The booking was done only a couple of months ago, but still gave me good time to prepare.
I flew directly from Oslo to Malaga, and arrived on midday on the 10th of Nov. Alfonso was there to pick me up, and after a couple of hours of driving we arrived in Granada.
After some getting to know each other, we had dinner and a couple of drinks before I went to sleep.
Next morning I was picked up at 9 AM, and we went towards the hunting area. On the way up, we picked up Jesus, our local guide and game guard. We drove on small bumpy roads heading for the mountains, and stopped regulary to glass for Ibex. After an hour or so we got to the top. So far no ibex had been seen, but it didn't last long before this small buck suddenly climbed a distant cliff.

He wasn't big enough to try for, but still an exciting and promising sight. We went for a small walk. The mountains were very nice and I enjoyed just beeing there.
We saw quite a few ibex, but mostly females and small bucks.

It was easy to see that the bucks were starting to get in rut.

After lunch we found a herd with a big buck on top of a tall rock wall. After half an hour of climbing we made it to the top. With great anticipation we hunted the area for a couple of hours, but couldn't find him or the rest of the herd. We planned to return to this area the next day. According to the guides, the animals would not normally move out unless really disturbed. We ended the day, heading back towards the car.

Next morning at dawn we were back in the same area, looking for "our" buck.
The Sierra Nevada Ibex are the second smallest of the four subspecies of Ibex in Spain. 9 years ago the government reduced the population a lot, due to infections on the animals. Because of this it's hard to find very big trophies. A nine year old buck is a fine trophy of the Sierra Nevada (also called southeastern) Ibex.
The Sierra Nevada Mountains are covered by a big national park, were hunting is not allowed. But on all sides there are hunting areas. The big, old bucks are normally inside the national park all year, except from the rut, when they move out looking for females. So hunting need to be conducted during the rut (Nov.-Dec.).
Here's a photo of the national park, covered in 80 cm of snow.

After two or three hours we had only seen small ones and females, so we sat down for a lunch. Cheese, bread and red wine! Perfect!

Then out of nothing, things started to happen. Animals were moving up from the valleyside and up on the mountain platue. Females first.. Then a small buck. Then "my" big buck! The hunt was on.
We followed them carefully. The herd were moving, so we tried to cut them off. Doing so made us lose their sight for ten minute or so. Being positioned were we thought they would come, we couldn`t immidiatly see them. We were on a cliff overlooking a valley. Jesus and me in front. Alfonso 15-20m behind. Suddenly Alfonso whispered that he could see the male. I slowly stalked back to him and in leaning over the cliff could see him standing only 100m away looking at us.
I got into a steady position and took the shot. He seemed to have been hit, but started running. After about 50 m he stopped again. I took another shot, and he fell right over! Wow! Smiles and handshakes all around.
Then we discovered what had happened. The big buck we were after, ran away 150 m to the right. We had shot the wrong one.
When getting to the downed buck, we could see it still was on old, nice buck. And even though the was smaller, I was happy. Mishaps like this happens every now and then. And paying 3000 Euro for another Ibex was out of the question for me. Smiler
The buck I shot was not part of the herd, and was it was a coincidence that we ran into him. And with the black markings on the cape, my guide thought it was the big one. Things happen!

One other problem occured. It seemed that I had hit another Ibex, probably the second shot. We could see blood leading away in another direction than the downed buck. I have written of this in another thread: https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5421043/m/756100179

I really hate wounding and leaving behind such animals. The game guard found the other animal dead, so at least it won't suffer no more.

We skinned the buck and headed back to the car. Ending a day, that I would describe as both good and bad. Smiler

Next day Alfonso arranged a bird hunt for me. We went hunting for quails with pointing dogs. The dogs were young and on the wild side, so they actually caught more birds than I managed to shot. Here's the catch of the day for me.

Alfonso told me about the quails. He thought than in a few years, they might not be able to fly any more. Earlier these birds flew each year to Marocco. Birds in this area didn't do this anymore. And every year, they seemed to fly a shorter and shorter distance when flushed.

We also visited Alfonsos red deer farm, and fed the aniamls. Funny experience to be so close to these animals, that I hunt back in Norway.

This ended a great experience in Spain. It was really different from Norway and southern Africa, which I've hunted before. And I would like to recommend this to anyone interested in Ibex. If you like further information, don't hesitate to PM me! Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the full report...

Although we both had some....difficulties...looks like you have enjoyed Spain as much as I did.

Looks like a fine trophy,hunted well...

Congratulations on your trophy,and to you..

Dan

Posts: 285 | Location: Red Hook,NY | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Anders,

Great report, thanks for posting.

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the full report Anders.
Seems like a beautifull scenery / landscape

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weidmannsheil on a successful hunt, Anders! Forget the minor mishaps, the hunt will still live on in your memory forever. Shit can always happen, but it is nice to remember the days in the field and the exitement of the hunt.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jonher
posted Hide Post
Anders,

Nice report and great photo's.

Thanks for sharing.

Jonathan

Jonathan

My Hunting Blog:
http://jonathan81.blogspot.com/

Posts: 147 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 11 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waidmanssheil! Thank you for sharing your memories with us.

Proud DRSS member

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great report Anders with no pulled punches as we say in the States. Definitely a hunt I would like to try in the future!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Congrats, and very nice scenery photos

Posts: 2634 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote