Wolverine fight film
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys

Found this on another forum, a swedish one,

and decided to share it with you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST7MXvbYd7g

Riding back from the fjälls this couple spottet these two volverines fighting it out amongs them selfs, it´s one of kind of film.

To se a wolverine is rare extremly rare and if you do it´s usually on the run aaway from you.

Best regards Chris

One of Us
Picture of nightwalker uk
posted Hide Post
Fantastic, are these fellas protected? What kind of size do they get upto?

NW

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nightwalker
They are protected and only occasionally can they be hunted by special permit if they are wreaking havoc among the "domesticated" reindeers. There was one mum with cubs that was branded as a PAC animal and I dont know if they have managed to get her yet. She has killed a lot of reindeers this winter.
The weight is around 18-20 kg for a big one.
I have only seen one of them, heading away from me at a few kilometers distance, as well as seeing the tracks of them while hunting birds in the mountains in the winter.
It is also illegal to track these predators, you are only allowed to follow their tracks backwards from where you first came across it.

This film is truly a one of a kind experience.

Sincerely
Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is almost unbelivable to watch.
The most solitaire and shy predator on the northern Scandinavian peninsula, and here they are two of them fighting in the headlights of a car ...!!!

I guess this is the closest I will ever come to a Wolverine.
Thanks for posting Chris.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a nice video, I like the moment when they both look over and realise they are being watched!

That is an interesting rule about only tracking them backwards....

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolverins are protected, can only be hunted by the saami in Sweden and that is when it is predating heavily on there reindeer herds.

As someone mentioned above they are about as shy as the come, the usual sightings are a blurr of an animal just across one fjeall to the other.

When these animals are being poached its done by snowmobiles and along the tracks of the beast, and then running them over with the snow mobile, hence tracking them in the direction of there movement for any reason what so ever is forbidden and considered to be attemted poaching.

Best regards Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
Amazing!

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote