New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Sunday birdhunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
On Sunday P and I went out to walkup / (hunt caper and blackgrouse in tops of the trees). It was a sunny day with almost no wind -8c a really perfect day. After only a short walk we saw a few Blackgrouses in a birch I took a shot with my Bergara rifle and I missed.....

We split up and after a short walk again I had a few blackgrouses flying to some trees ~300m away after a short stalk two of the birds flyed away so I tryed at the last one laying prone on a stump. Bang after the shot the bird flyed away with stiff wings damn what happened??? We made a search after it in the way it flew I only saw one blood drop in the snow....fuck ...We was on the way thinking it got lost but on the way back I finally found it running 10m from my earlyer foot prints.

We took a break and had some coffe and sandwiches. When we beguinn to hunt again P saw a blackgrouse so we walked in that direction , then I saw a Capercaillie in a tree so we both beguinn to stalk it ohh it were two, P took the first shot and missed it I shot in the same time and missed mine but it still sat there in the top of the pine so I held the second shot higher and I saw it flap out with his wings, P had troubble to reload his mauser i was faster with my singleshot rifle. We made a search and I only found three feathers so P and I stood on different sides of a forest ditch to talk suddenly I saw it down in the water 4m from us.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those birds are amazing. I would love to hunt Sweden/Denmark one day. Most of my family came from Sweden and I am planning to visit for the first time, in the coming future.

I would love to find a hunt like this.

Congratulations!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Those birds look huge! Would love to try this someday.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is about 9p / 4kg max weight of a capercallie is 7kg.

Its possible to do a hunt here if you come to Sweden.

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Thanks for sharing! Great birds. We had a wonderful bird hunt two years ago. Success on grouse but never saw a capercaillie. Need to try again one day soon!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report sounds like a great time,
this Texas boy would like to shoot a capercaillie.Thanks again

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

Thanks for sharing! Great birds. We had a wonderful bird hunt two years ago. Success on grouse but never saw a capercaillie. Need to try again one day soon!

No problem I can borrow you gear up for a bird in top of tree hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last sunday, P and I made a toppfågeljakt (hunt for birds in the top of trees) we walked in to the area over a hill ~400m from the car we saw the first bird a blackgrouse it flew before we could stalk into range of it. We continued to walk out to a logged area with some pines still left on it a capercaillie flew up and sat in a pine 200m from me I shot it. Before we could walk to it we saw one more caper so P beguinned to stalk closer on it shot he shot several rounds with his rifle but it was still sitting there??? He asked me to shoot it so I did, again P saw a new caper in a pine he asked if we should shoot it I decided to do so and I got it to. After we found all bird we had coffe in the sunny but a little bit windy weather and walked home 11.00, saw two more capers but we think we had got enough for a day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Last night i found lynx tracks in my garden around the shed/sauna i keep the birds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous. Can't wait to get over there for this hunt.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 246 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got one more today.