THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    01/09 - 30/11 Badger - Open Season in Germany

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

01/09 - 30/11 Badger - Open Season in Germany
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

(Let me say here that whilst a badger may be small in terms of "European Big Game', it is a prized game animal to hunt in Germany and elsewhere in Europe, where legal to hunt.)

We were after pigs and foxes and in the Landy driving to the concession we chatted that we have too many badger on our ground. I guess that we hold over 40 - 50 badger in total and only shoot 2 or 3 a year.

My son opted to sit in a high seat overlooking fields of sugar beets and a strip of corn that we put in as bait and cover for the pigs and pheasant. I sat at a maize bait in cut in some woodland hoping for a pig.

At 22:40h a shot sounded but with no cell coverage where I was I could not ask my boy if he had got anything.

I heard the Landy coming on the path behind my Kanzel at 24:00 as agreed and my son stopped and opened the back door to show me his prize! A big badger sow of some 12 kgs, dropped on the spot to his .30-06. A big big bodied girl in great condition with a typical small solid head and huge paws and claws.

We will tan the hide and clean the skull on this one.

Beautiful animals! Yet they take out a lot of birds nests and have also been seen taking leverets, so some control is needed.

Ps. Almost a year to the day that he shot his first badger posted here -

http://forums.accuratereloadin...5421043/m/8181053262

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Charlie,
Good to hear from you again with another report. I always enjoy reading of your adventures although this read is brief compared to your usual standard ! Big Grin
The badger looks to be a real beaut. Well done guys. I guess a few local birds will be breathing a sigh of relief !
Cheers.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Grant hi and hope / trust you and family are all well. Too many badger on our ground but it's not in my heart to go out and try and cull a dozen plus. So it's ones and twos. They do less game damage than the foxes I suppose, if thats any consolation!

Have not got around to smoking hams and eating filets yet as some of the local hunters do (and swear by it) and likely I wont as along as we have pork and venison in the freezer!

Hows Kiwi doing and whats the inside news on borders opening to tourists and foreign hunters / anglers in the near future ? Have a planned tahr date that I need to make happen!

Btw do you have badger in NZ? Cannot recall ever seeing or hearing about them in NZ.

Cheers and stay well.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie here in South Dakota we have a bounty on them. I haven't come across a rancher yet that didn't want them shot. They can do a lot of damage in a short amount of time. They get a very silvery look to them in late fall. I'm going to take the pelt on the next one that meets my criteria.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Great report Charlie
I shot a good one last January in two feet of snow, strange as they usually hibernate

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for a story on a unique trophy.

If you do head to the American West for antelope you should get a good chance at a badger, or many badgers! They are very common in some areas.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mt Al:
Thanks again for a story on a unique trophy.

If you do head to the American West for antelope you should get a good chance at a badger, or many badgers! They are very common in some areas.

I’ll attest to that…I ran after one onetime with my longbow and he all of a sudden turned on me with teeth gnashing, hell I didn’t miss a beat, turned and ran…after maybe 20 feet I realized he made me run so I turned and I ran after him and he did it again so I plugged him
I’ll will remember it for rest of my days when badger made me turn tail Ha Ha

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote