THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Mountain Lion Question - What Happened?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountain Lion Question - What Happened?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I know folks say they can't call in cats, but have twice. But have not be successful.

The second time was last night.

Started with about 10 minutes of a "mountain lion whistle".

I didn't have any luck, so I switched to a cottontail distress call.

I have a little rabbit looking decoy bobbing the whole time about 3 feet from the speaker. I was 50 yards away in a blind.

2-3 minutes into the cottontail call a fox runs up with a nice winter coat. I got to get my rifle up, but by the time it's up he's figured out it's not real. But he hasn't left yet. I used\ a Ruger 300 Blackout bolt action with suppressor with 110 gr Barnes supersonic ammo. I had not fouled the barrel, so when I shot it hit low managing to break the decoy stake Frowner Fox runs off.

Darn I think.

Then 10 seconds later I hear a female lion calling to the left of the blind and back a bit about 5-10 yards. I only have front windows and no way to look. She stayed there a few minutes calling and then left.

Question: Do you think she came into the whistle call or the distress call? Had I not shot the fox assume she would have gone in closer?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never know now.
Either is possible. Iv'e read bobcats take their sweet time about coming to a call. Iv'e never had one show up. Seen two, one at night and spooked it, up close too.

Other was daylight and was out after a deer when i just happened to see something flashing in the weeds and set down behind a log. Cat heard me and set too. I had a thin forehead shot at 30yds and took it. Just tipped over backwards. Fine pelt.
Had it tanned by a local and it rotted after about 30yrs.

A couple times I've seen pictures of callers that looked up and saw a mtn lion sitting close facing them. About enough to fill a pair of shorts!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Next time I do this I'm going to have another buddy setup outside the calling area do overwatch to see what I'm missing.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be within plain sight of each other to watch the other guys back. Would be a nasty ordeal to have a cat attack. Plus, set in front of something solid to protect your backs.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the cat knew your location the whole time.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OkieNewton:
I think the cat knew your location the whole time.

That's what I'm thinking.

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I never ever call cats alone when I am in cat country. Granted Mountain Lions can show up anywhere, especially in Arizona. We always sit so we can see each others back. I have not had much luck calling in lions but have called in a few Bobcats. You just have to be very still and call just a bit longer. The bobcats I have called in have arrive between 15 and 25 minutes. I usually call for 25 and sit for another 5 quiet before moving to another stand. The guys I know that have called in lions have told me to sit up to 45 minutes on a stand. Expect them to come in from places you would never think they would. So far I have had zero luck, hard for me to sit past 30 minutes with my back. Cats are very smart and will not come in if they see anything they do not like.

Posts: 749 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobcats are easy, they come in quick and or almost under you before you can shoot, keep a shotgun handy, and a rifle for the long shots..set up in thick brush or an arroyo full of bush foe bobcats..

I was raised in Lion heaven in the big bend country of texas, trapped dozens of Lions, Only called up two in my life and they didn't come in close and I didn't get either of them..In every case it was at night, same with bobcats..most all my Texas calling was at night..Its just way more productive, but illegal in some states..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Months later.

Earl: I have back problems too and can't sit without support. I took the legs off one of those plastic chairs: seat & back all one piece, might be 2-3# total.
Even put back straps and a canteen cover riveted to it for bags, flea spray, bit of small rope to tie 'em to the seat. Works great to sit in, light and easy to carry and a good way to haul out coyotes or such tied in the seat. We bag 'em up and spray good then tie it off. By the time we get to skinning area any fleas are dead. The only problem I've had is standing up with a load on it.

Sure is handy when prairie dogging. To rest I just tilt it back and it's much like being in a recliner.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have sideboards for my pickup to break up my frame..I put a pillow on the top of my pickup cab and sit on my tool box( has a gap)..I put a cassette caller on the pillow to break up the tiney sound..I give a loud two or three blasts on the hand call then turn on the cassette and let it play with a half grown rabbit tape or whatever..Use a red Q-beam light with a red cover..The truck keeps me high and looking down or over a good expanse of country and its best in the high brush where the Foxes and Bobcats hunt..Its always been real effective for me...

BTW a white light will in many cases scare off an animal..they can't see a red light..I keep a shotgun loaded with No. 2 shot and my scoped rifle loaded and ready on each side of the pillow on the cab.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote