THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    problems with 17 gr V-Max on prairie dogs
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

problems with 17 gr V-Max on prairie dogs
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I have used the 20 gr. Vmax, I believe.. I am away right now.. I have had great luck with it on dogs and gophers.. BUT I would say most are shot less than 75 yards.. Beyond that distance I use a Hornet or .223..

Posts: 12 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite P-dog loads of all time is 300 Win Mag running a speer 130gr tnt at 3500 fps. properly hit dogs will catch 10 to 20 feet of air with ganglia cartwheeling off.
A touch on the expensive side of varminting but worth every dollar.

Posts: 1209 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a cooper 17AH a couple years on PDs. It was substantially better than the 17 hmr. Believe I was using 20 grain Berger hp. They did not have the 223/204 type of energy, but the crawl offs were zero, as I recall.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
This winter I have obtained a 17 Hornet (CZ 527) and got it up and running. A 20 Vartarg is in the works too. P-dogs and ground squirrels will soon be in peril!

Posts: 3273 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
First trip afield with the .17 Hornet (CZ 527). The male ground squirrels have showed up and I whacked a bunch (82 confirmed) today. Very impressed; out to 150 yards got red stuff and 1 foot flips. Out to 200 most DRT. Nice rifle, nice caliber for under 200 yard shooting

Posts: 3273 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While a centerfire may be the better choice, the ranch I hunt in Wyoming has a majority of it's fields designated "rimfire only". Anyone else run into this?

Posts: 57 | Location: Mid-Mo | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote