THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Varmit rounds for 375 H&H..

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmit rounds for 375 H&H..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wondering if anyone has found a light bullet, factory load, for the 375, suitable for varmits?

s

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Naw, just use whatever your main hunting load is. Best way to practice for the real thing. You don't want to develope bad habits like holding for a lighter bullet and missing that bad old stinking, hooked horn beastie coming at you. There are some things you don't want to mess with and screwing with your main big game hunting rifle and loads is one of them, that is unless YOU want to be the hunted.

Makatak

<Big Stick>
posted
My thoughts would differ.

Any practice is good and if a lightweight 375 load,gives you another "reason" to shoot that chambering,so much the better.

Trajectory differences are of zero concern,in my opinion,assuming a like zero(say 2" high at 100yds,for the sake of conversation).

A big/mean toothed rampaging beast at the 350yd line,is no threat and trajectory differences between the "play" load and the "duty" load are simply meaningless(so as to save one's hide). Up close,assuming a sane zero,it has minimal bearing.

I like the 235gr Speer,for play/practice/fun and they are fairly frangible(vermin dispatch). Those are in my reloads though and I'm not up on the current crop of available 375 Factory fodder,to know what is available.

Sooooo,I zero the 235's at the same height as my bread and butter 270's,at the 100yd line. With 235's at 2900fps vs the 270's at 2700fps,the trajectory difference even to 400yds,is meaningless(-24.6" for the 235gr and -25.3" for the Speer 270gr). The 270's better BC,tends to equalize the 235's speed advantage,at those realistic velocity expectations.

No big deal,in my opinion............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, 200's will get almost 3300. Now that's about what a 223/55 will do but with much better BC's and 4 times the weight. Do what you want, you don't have to convince me of anything. Fry your bacon however you like it.

I use varmint rifles for varmints and game loads for game whether it is a varmint I'm shooting at or something bent on making me the varmint. I don't need or want a lighter bullet for practice. My 375 is for one thing only, killing the bastard. I don't want to mess with the feeling of the rifle, the sights or the ammo I use, and I don't much care about what the tables say for anything over 50 yards, I have other rifles for long range.

I want to pick it up, aim and pull the trigger and put the bullet in the same spot time after time without thinking about it and that's how I practice with it. Of course, I do take longer shots with it but without a scope, it's hard to see those little critters much beyound 50 yds anyhow.

Now, my 338-06 does well with 180 and 200 Nosler BT's for hammering varmints out around 300 to 350 and are half the price of 210 and 225 Parts. My pocket book really bites my butt everytime I unload one of those at a digger. The BT's are bad enough and my rifle just doesn't seem to like the cheap stuff. I can't get it to shoot Sierra's or Hornadys to save my soul, except Horn 225's. Go figure.

Makatak

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike 375 advocates the 220 gr flat point hornady bullet for a good varmint load. He states it works well on roo's etc.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was looking for a factory round, but seems I can't find any suitable.

s [Mad]

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote