New
Find
Notify
Tools

Longest shot so far for me...
 Login/Join

<Tikka22-250>
posted
is 582yds, woodchuck, Tikka Master Continental in 22-250,37.0gr Benchmark,40gr V-max moly,CCI200,Win brass. Now I want one at 600 or better. [Big Grin] [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know those long shot will make you a hero one day, but why try for 600 when you can try for 400 or 300.
Take care sf

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Congratulations on a good shot. I think the 22-250 is more than good medicine for prarie dogs and similar sized varmints (crows?) at 600 yards, but for groundhogs, rock/wood chucks, I wonder about instant killing power.

How did your bullet perform on the varmint you hit in the scenario you mention?

Take care, and once again, good shootin'!

green 788

<Tikka22-250>
posted
The bullet hit him in the guts and almost gutted him, looked like somebody took a razor blade and ran it across his belly,pretty much just split him open.
I like the 40grainers but for far shots should probably switch to something a little heavier for a little more down range terminal performance.

See Ya and be safe..Martin [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good shot I went to a 243 with 80 gr bullets just give me the extra wind control why out there. There is no dought that the 22 250 can do it out there as long as you hit them. I have had no trouble killing dogs out past 600 even with my 223. Most people would think of nothing of shooting a chuck with a 22 rf at 50 yards. Your 224s most of them maintain more energy with better bullets at 500 and 600 then 22 rf does up close. Again great shot.

Posts: 19304 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote