THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Savage "Long Range" Rifles?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage "Long Range" Rifles?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted
My uncle wants to go varmint hunting with us this year and he needs a good but affordable rifle. I'm looking at the Savage 12FV Long Range in .22-250. Thoughts and opinions please. Thaks for the info.

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Ten32>
posted
I have a Savage Model 10 "Tactical" in .308 and have been very pleased. The stock is somewhat flexible and the trigger could use some help. But for the price you cant beat it. Sharp Shooter Supply 419-695-3179, has fiberglass stocks in several styles, adjustable triggers, and a bunch of other Savage specific items. Lock Stock and Barrel also have some of the same things. The price of the Savage allows you to upgrade as you need to without the inital cost of features you may not need or want. A friend has a .22-250 like your talking about and has gone on prairie dog shoots out west and ground hogs around home and had very good results [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go for it, it's the best deal factory long-range rifle in the market.

Cheaper than the Tactical model mentioned, only because it does not have matte
finish and is without the bipod stud. Otherwise it's pretty much the same as the
Tactical model.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<D. Flowers>
posted
A related question. What is a good AFFORDABLE scope for the Savage 112FV in .25-06? I am thinking about something in a 4-14X or 6-18X. I use Leupolds on most of my rifles but am looking for a lower cost scope for this inexpensive rifle.

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from Montanta useing a savage 12fv in 22 250 it is well worth puting a better scope on it. A Burris or Leupold doses much better then the cheap ones. I do put timmy triggers in all my savages. Makes them much nicer.

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
I just picked up a 12FV in 22-250 yesterday. I took it home, poured fiberglass into the spongy forearm, and filled the stock hollow with a big blob of plumber's putty laden with BB's. This balances the rifle well, and firms up the stock considerably.

I lightly polished the sear engagement points on the trigger (disassembled first, of course) and adjusted it to a nice 2 pounds...

I mounted a Burris fixed 12 power Fullfield with target turrets and fine plex crosshair, and am now in the process of breaking in the barrel.

I'll be testing some loads using H380 and Varget, with 40 grain Nosler BT's and 52 grain Sierra Matchkings.

Break-in and sight in ammo is the Winchester "Varmint pack" of 40 rounds of 45 grain hollow point ammo, for 15 dollars at Walmart. This ammo shoots very well...

Will post more later...

Dan Newberry
green 788

<Jim Dannels>
posted
Savage is a good choice. I have a 10FP .223 and it does well. It is my first centerfire so I have a lot to learn about what to feed it, so I won`t make any claims, but expect it to group under 1/2" at 100 yds when I earn to shoot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Weaver V16 4-16x42mm Fine Crosshair Reticle - Matte Black On sale at Natchez for $229.

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
You will not go wrong with a Savage the shoot great I have 3 a 222, 243, and 270

<350RM>
posted
Savage rifles are generally accurate, and they are really affordable even here in france. But then, I don't like the design overall. I would look after a used remington, winchester or ruger, topped with a good scope...
olivier

one of us
posted Hide Post
D. Flowers, you might look at a Swift scope. They are in my opinion better than all of the "inexpensive" scopes and you can get a 6x18 for under $200.00.

Look here if you wish www.dowdlesports.com/guns/retail.htm

Posts: 132 | Location: Dufur, Oregon | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, What do you like about the Swift scopes? I have just about decided on the Weaver Grand Slam in 4.5-14x40. I can get it for $299 and have heard good things about it.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike-OR:
D. Flowers, you might look at a Swift scope. They are in my opinion better than all of the "inexpensive" scopes and you can get a 6x18 for under $200.00.

Look here if you wish www.dowdlesports.com/guns/retail.htm

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
If you can spring for the Grand Slam, get it. They are beyond any shadow of any doubt the best value in a riflescope these days.

I have a 6.5 to 20 and I love it. Optically, they are on par with the Vari X III Leupolds. Their turret repeatability and zero holding ability surpass any other scope this side of 1000 dollars.

Dan Newberry
green 788