New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotguns for coyotes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am finding more success calling coyote in thick stuff using a decoy. At close range, a shotgun is ticket IMO.

What are you guys using for chokes and loads? I am using an SX3 with Win Coyote loads. Been using a full choke; hammered one today but at 21 yards might have been overchoked.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
I use coyote buster or # 4 buck in a mod choked Itchaca Model 37.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
Right now I'm shooting a 12 gauge Mossberg ( gimme a break Biebs Big Grin) 835 Ulti-Mag with a Carlson's "Coyote" choke shooting either Winchester Super-X 2-3/4" number 4 buck shot (27 pellets) @ ~ 1325 f.p.s.
Or
Federal Premium 3" number 4 buckshot (41 pellets) @ ~ 1100 f.p.s.

Number 4 buck shot not to be confused with number 4 bird shot. ( You might be surprised how many folks don't know there is a difference, including the gun counter guy at Sportsman's Warehouse in Mesa Roll Eyes )

Right now the coyotes are denned-up around here, which for me at least, makes hunting them pretty tough.
Historically February is the toughest month of the year for me.
I'm glad to read you are having better luck. tu2

Posts: 2926 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops, I used Federal, not Win.

So you guys like #4 buck better than BB, huh?

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
Lol I use whatever manufacture I can get. Big Grin

But I prefer #4 buck for sure, which is in pretty short supply around these parts which explains why I'm not too picky about Manufacturer.

Posts: 2926 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have use #2 and 4 shot but prefer #4 buck. I would have to order the coyote specific loads and prefer to get them locally, what I can find anyway. I have found that even #4 shot works inside of 25 yards but #2 is better, If you start shooting at them much farther out the heavier loads are much better.

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
I use an over/under H&R-import from Portugal with a 3" chamber.
I use 2 3/4" cases, but handloads only. I handload ALL my ammo, except rimfire, of course.
I HAVE used #2 and #4 shot, but believe that #4 Buck works the best.
The chokes are cut down to Improved-cylinder specs and work fine as far as I shoot in the brush. I carry a handgun (either a 1911 .45 or an S&W M57 .41 Mag) in case I need to shoot a bit further.
When I leave the house, a shotgun, a rifle and a handgun are in the car.
My handloads are rated at 1200fps, FWTW.
Have fun,
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use my extra full turkey choke.

I use OO a lot 3 inch 15 pellets.

Running them with hounds makes for longer shots.

I have dump them out to 50 yards,

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I’ve shot close to 50 using a browning B80 with mod choke and #4 buck. Shots are between 10 and 45 yards

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Brno ZH combination gun with a 12 ga barrel and a 22 Sav HP barrel on top. Great combo for calling coyotes. I normally use BB in the 12 ga barrel since I have the 22 HP for longer shots. # 4 buck will reach out further than the BB's

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I bought some 3.5 in 00 buck loads and went hunting yesterday. Had a coyote come in on my third stand. Shot him and he dropped and flopped on the ground. Should have shot again, because about 15 seconds later, he got up and took off. Didn't find him but it is pretty thick where I hunt. Blood on the ground to my stand was 63 yards - obviously a bit far - should have shot him with my rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of my called coyotes, over the years, have been killed with shotguns. My favorite combo is #4 buck out of a Remington SP-10. The key is using a patternmaster choke tube. The bigger the shot, the tighter the pattern....as a rule.

Andy#3

Posts: 108 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 29 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I am finding more success calling coyote in thick stuff using a decoy. At close range, a shotgun is ticket IMO.

What are you guys using for chokes and loads? I am using an SX3 with Win Coyote loads. Been using a full choke; hammered one today but at 21 yards might have been overchoked.

Remington SP-10 firing 3.5 inch 10 gauges with BB size shot using a modified choke tube.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a rack in my PU to break up my outline at night, a pillow on the top of the cab and a Casset tape on top of the pillow, and a half grown rabbit or whatever, the pillow btw kills the tin sound of tape cassette on the metal..A shotgun on one side of the pillow and a 222 or 6x45 on the other, while I work a red light..It works big time..on both coyotes but especially on Bobcats and foxes in the thick stuff.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote