Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I watched a Travel Channel program "The Worse Foods in the World."
Marmot prepared by Mongols made the list.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted in Mongolia 20 years ago this fall; I remember they said they would dig hole, burn wood to embers, then throw the marmot in there whole. The fur would burned off but you peeled it away like a baked potato.

I passed. On the other hand, the trout they served was superb.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Raw Marmot -

https://news.yahoo.com/couple-...armot-135154552.html
Okay. I won't eat raw marmot. Eeker

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Indians on the reservation eat marmots, Saw that on TV, they also burned the hair off peeled the skin and ate them..I suppose if I was hungry under dire circumstances I would eat a marmot or a skunk..Hunger is hard to fight..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41812 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a Marmot is a ground hog, then I have ate at least one pounds of them hams braised with potatoes.

They are just a big ground squirrel.

I ate them growing up not well off, in South KY. Waste not Want not.

I will not eat shoot one today. Because I am never eating another ground hog again.

Posts: 10766 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I remember in the Paul Newman movie "Hombre" about this uppity white woman in the stagecoach talking about how those nasty indians ate dogs. Then later on when Richard Boone has her tied to the hillside in the sun for days + Paul Newman says "Ask her if she'll eat dog now."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up, but I didn’t need to be told not to ear marmot.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the OP referred to RAW marmot.

Is there anyone here who would eat RAW marmot? If so, let zir speak now, or forever hold zir's peace (or is it piece??). Cool

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
As a kid I loved the challenge of hunting shooting groundhogs and the fact that my grandfather paid me $1 apiece only gave me more incentive.
When I college I would have a spring BBQ with the young ones and it was always popular

I haven't tried Marmots yet

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4191 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
Thanks for the heads up, but I didn’t need to be told not to eat marmot.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang! For some reason I woke up this morning a hankering for some raw marmot. I guess I will have to make do with navy beans, mustard greens, and buttermilk cornbread.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess it just depends on how hungry you are. Ive eaten road runner, Javalina, bobcat and Mt. Lion, none of which bothered me at all and in fact it was good, but my son told his friends Dad will eat the ass out of a skunk is need be..To eat raw marmot would be stressful but beats the hell out of severe hunger..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41812 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Never had the desire to find out what marmot is like

Posts: 4 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 17 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eaten ground hog ,raccoon, muskrat, beaver.

None that I well eat again unless I am a lot hungrier then I am now.

The worst tasting stuff I ever tried was fresh water clams.

Posts: 19350 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
For those of us that were around when Herter's was one of the main outdoor equipment suppliers...

George Leonard Herter would often write little bits in his catalog. I remember one time he wrote that Groundhogs (Woodchucks or Marmots) were better eating than deer.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Herter was from around here.

His relationship with the truth was, well, at times a relative matter; at least according to the folks I know who knew him.

I have a cookbook of his.

Some things look reasonable, others, well....

Posts: 10560 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote