New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laser Rangefinders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any one out there have recomendations on a laser rangefinders?

Posts: 59 | Location: Soledad, CA USA | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Frank>
posted
I like the Lieca's

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis:

I have a Bushnell 500.
I have had it for about a year,seems good
so far.

hunter966

Posts: 83 | Location: gracemont, ok. U.S.A. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using the Bushnell 1000 for a couple years with no complaints!

DWM

Posts: 109 | Location: Colleyville,TX | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leica will be bringing a new one out soon that is supposed to be good to 1200 yards and will be the same size as the existing one.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<raa29671>
posted
I have had a Bushnell 500 and it is dead-on up to 500 yards. I have gotten accurate reads out to 700+ yards off of reflective targets like a metal barn/shed.

Hope this helps!

<tictac>
posted
I have a Leica 800 which I find ideal. It`s accurate, well built, and has excellent optics. Also ranged past 900 yds with it. Even used it in the dark.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Nikon (Buckmaster?) 800 which does everything I need it to in daylight. With 4x viewer, I often leave the binos at home nowadays when stalking on open farmland/woodland.

Unlike tictac's Leica, I haven't had any success with it in the dark. Why is that?

------------------
tikka 3 barrels

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
<re5513>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis:

Get the Leica. It has Leica glass and a very inteligent set of electronics. The new one is 1200 yard capable and isn't that much more than the 800 yard unit. Leica also has a tripod accessory for it (new this year)that allows you to mount it on a pod for greater stability. You won't be sorry.

re5513

<k wood>
posted
I have an 800 yard weaver that is no more than OK

<gj>
posted
The undisputed best so far for long range is is bushnell 1000 without a doubt, then 2nd leica 800.
But the new leica 1200 may be the new winner I hope so as I like there readout better than the busnells. gj.

------------------
www.moaammo.com

[This message has been edited by gj (edited 02-18-2002).]

<green 788>
posted
Laser rangefinders are excellent for helping you to learn to estimate range more accurately, but I wouldn't allow myself to become dependent on one.

Such units can fail at inopportune times, and under some conditions, not report a range at all.

By learing the subtensions of your duplex crosshair's fine wires (with scope dialed to max power), you can get pretty good at ranging, so long as you have an object of known approximate size in the field of view. Practice often with your naked eye alone, and then with the duplex (or mil-dot if you have it) scope reticle. Check your accuracy with the laser unit. Eventually, you will become less dependent on the laser for most situations.

I have a Bushnell 1000, which seems fine, though I should mention that an identical unit I encountered at the shooting range one day indicated 99 yards to the 100 yard target, while mine showed 100 yards. We never did discern which unit was correct.

Early Leicas had function problems, but that has been corrected on the latest ones to hit the market. If you choose Leica (which I wouldn't argue with a bit, considering they really are no more costly than the Bushnells) I would be sure to get one from a wholesaler who turns his inventory over rather quickly--this to avoid possibly picking up one of the earlier problem units...

green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
Green788 both were right they are plus or mins 1 yard so if you would be a little closer or farther you could get a 1 yard diff. I tested my 1000 with a surverying laser and it was in tolance out to 1000 meaning it was with in one yard. One yard is way more then accurate for shooting then needed. Useing range finders in scopes lines and mil dot are way less accurate.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I won't own a laser range finder. My pockets are full of enough crap.
Leif

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted Hide Post
To Dennis:
I have a Bushnell 1000 that I love. You can get a Leica 800 for about $75 more, but the Bushnell works just fine, at least on prarie dogs to about 300 yards.

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
<T/Jazz>
posted
I jumped in head first and bought a range finder, only to find out in the high mountain country the batteries go out real quick. Now having spare batteries with you all time is another pain, but I found it to be a must. I am good with the range out to 400 yards and beyound that I have real trouble. I just will limit my shooting to 400 yards in the future and leave that piece of technology home on the next trip to the high country.

<dave3220>
posted
I have had 6 or 8 of the things from five different labels.

Bushnell makes some nice compact ones.
Leica has a spotting scope that is useable for more than an aiming reticle and is quite handy if you rig binocular type strap to it.
(I sling mine under my Swarovski Porro prism 8x binocular.)

As soon as your battery quits, replace with a LITHIUM 9v. They last much longer and are worth the extra $.

Dave 32-20

------------------
Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had 3 different ones that i use to shot p-dogs on a sunny day none of them were any good out past 5oo yds to hard to hold on target and get a reading p-dog just to small to read on overcast days they were good out to about 650 yds. they sure make shooting easier. the long shots are mostly right on with the first shot

Posts: 61 | Location: Missoula,Mt | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a luddite when it comes to such gadgetry,detracts from your personal skills and hunting experience. You guys will be carrying wind speed indicators and hand held computers with ballistic programs.
Don't lose sight of the wood for the trees!
Enjoy pitting your skills/judgement against nature ; don't sanitise your shooting too much.

Posts: 337 | Location: Devon UK | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
<ARvrmthunter>
posted
I bought a bushnell Yardage Pro 800 several years ago . It worked fine for acouple of years, but now when I push the "read" button I get " er6" in the display. Not sure what thats about. I'm going to send it off for repair as soon as I find an address to send it.

<Dan in Wa>
posted
AR,You have changed the battery havn't you? A freind has the yardage pro 800 and it works great... until the battery starts heading south. Just like my shooting chrony. I always keep a spare with me. FWIW

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone here have experience with the Leica Geovid?
A 1000m rangefinder incorporated into a 7x42 binocular with a compass inside it too. And a toaster.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<CatShooter>
posted
ARvrmthunter...

Word has it that "er6" means that the memory has crashed, and it has to go back to Bushnell.

CatShooter

one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
I had a Bushnell 1000 then bought a Leica 800. The Bushnell hasn't been out of the gun safe since. I think I'll take it to Africa and leave it with a PH as a tip someday.

The Leica 7 power focusing eyepiece makes long range reading easier. The display is less cluttered and there is only one button to push.

I've never found the various modes available on the Bushnell to be useful and it's much larger and heavier than the Leica 800.

I didn't know about a new Leica 1200 model. Hmmm, I do have a birthday coming up!

------------------
NRA and GOA Life Member
Do your part to protect our 2nd Amendment rights and preserve our hunting heritage!

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Crusader>
posted
Hey Mark in SC--if you ever decide to part with that Bushnell 1000 (or the Leica, for that matter), I might be interested in buying it. Drop me a line at jimbergmann32@msn.com

Thanks...

<Gary Rihn>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Crusader:
...if you ever decide to part with that Bushnell 1000... I might be interested in buying it.

Crusader-

PrimeTime has a Bushnell 1000 in the classifieds right now.

(I've got a LRF listed too, but different model).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
Recieved my Leica LRF 1200 from SWFA a few days ago. Initial impressions are very favorable. They seem to work as advertised. Only time will tell, however, this seems like a winner.
Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Bushnell Yardage Pro 800 works fine so far . This unit is also very accurate to within +- 1 yard.

Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use both hand held laser and artillery split image rangefinders. The handheld units wont resolve a prarie dog ar 700, even 300 yards since I can't hold them steady enough. We used the hand held laser to range back to the vechiles after the shot has been made to confirm distances. The Military split image rangefinger that I use is 12X and I can see the prarie dogs eyes at over 700 yards and they are incredibally accurate. I tested mine when I first calibrated it at the Whittington center 1000 yard rifle range and after conversion from meters to yards I was within one yard. This unit is the size of a bazooka so you don't want to haul it around unless you have a pack animal. Both units have their places but for the long range varmint where you need the visual accuity of the optics. The drop for our 75gr A-Max bullet is 7" between 580 and 600 yards.

Posts: 202 | Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 18 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got done, last week, using our Bushnell 800 for the second straight year in Idaho on rockchuck shoot as well as prarie dog shoots in Nebraska. Absolutely no complaints. It has ranged to 900+ yards on good reflective targets. The latch on the door of the battery compartment fell off thus the door did also. When I called Bushnell and told them they sent me a new door in three days, no charge. I will definately look at the Leica 1200 however sounds like a really good unit. Good Shooting "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote