New
Find
Notify
Tools

the hangover dog
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
it was mid july and on the south dakota prairie that meant it was hot. the three of us were out in the middle of a big prairie dog town. Dogs ere everywhere. Keith stopped the truck and the day was on. Did i mention that it was hot?? We had a washtub full of ammo to shoot up but Keith wanted to bag a dog with a bow. We had parked about 30 yards away from a active hole and he unlimbered the bow while the two of us loaded up a gold cart with ammo and guns to take a walk to the other end of the town. The dogs were out and the shooting was just great, but after 3 hrs or so we had to come back to the truck for more ammo. When we got there we found keith passed out in the front seat with a variety of empty beer cans on the floor. It didn't take to long to figure the scene out, keith was not a drinker. the prairie dog hole looked lie a pin cushion. It was to easy to figure out The dog would stick his head up, keith would loose and arrow-miss-and then have a beer in the heat while he waited for the dog to pop up again. The more pop ups the more beer and the further away were the arrows.
I put this little episode on memorial day because keith is no longer with us. several of you will remember him however, Mr. K.O. Purdie president of gopher shooter supply. Both keith and gopher have passed into the sunset but i must believe that somewhere there is a prairie dog with a hangover

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote