New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger No. 1 in .25/06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am in the market for a .25/06 and am considering the Ruger No. 1 in stainless.
I will be using it for shooting paper and the occasional Texas White Tail. Does anyone have familarity with this gun/round combination? Can you provide feedback on likes, dislikes, etc.? I would also like to know what scope you are using for this combination? Thanks and Good Shooting!

[ 06-05-2002, 02:30: Message edited by: Shark Bait ]

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a blued #1 in 25-06 with a Leupold VIII 6x20 scope. With 100 gr Nosler BT's (Federal factory loads) she'll shoot 'em all within 3/4"...5 shots. This gun is 100% stock with no modifications. The trigger could use some work but it's not too bad. I think they are great firearms and would recommend them to anybody looking for a 1 shoter. Good luck. Gary.

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, I think we have conversed on here before.

In regard to the 25-06 caliber, it is great. I bad mouthed them for a long time as neither fish nor fowl, but finally bought one and when it wore out I rebarreled it to the same caliber. I use mine for varmints (being carefull not to overheat the barrel) and for deer, antelope, and wild hogs.
I have shot wild boar with everything from a 100 grain Nosler Partition to a 120 Sierra HPBT and all have worked well for me.

In regard to the Ruger Number One, they are interesting rifles. With the lack of an action, so to speak, they are handy to carry and they have a sort of an appeal just on the looks of the darned thing. On the other hand, the triggers are atrocious and some just do not shoot all that well. I owned one in .338 Win Mag and it killed all sorts of things. But, it was hard to keep the scope from slipping in the Ruger rings due to the recoil, AND the trigger was acceptable but just barely. I guess while I like the idea of hunting with something a little different, I have gotten over my attraction to them and now use nothing but bolt actions.

The Ruger Number One's are nice rifles, but on the "average" they just will not shoot with a good bolt gun.

Just my opinion, R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Flowers,

I hope you know that I am printing and framing your comments on the 25-06 from above. After all the bad stuff you said about them. I also sincerly hope you got rid of that kicking #1!! I don't remember how it shot but I remember shooting it for sure!! Worse than any of the .416's I have played around with.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An excellent caliber, my friend has one and it performs supurbly (his is a ruger bolt).

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
My #1's are quite reliable as far as staying sighted in. In my view its the benefit of the two piece stock and that I free float the barrel from the forend which takes ten minutes.

My only comment on the SS #1's that I have seen is that the color of the laminated stock does not appeal to me.

I suppose the longest range rifle I have is a #1S in .300 Win Mag. It always shoots under one MOA with just regular Coreloks. This kind of accuracy is more than good enough for a big game rifle.

And as far as a single shot vrs a repeater goes all I need is one shot. Sure I would load and shoot again but somehow with a highpowered rifle and a good aim one shot is all that is needed for most hunting. There is a pride and a challange to it that appeals to me. I never load a repeater with more than three shots anyway and usually with two as then the second shot lays in the feed ramp and the nose of the bullet stays undamaged.

[ 06-05-2002, 02:01: Message edited by: Don Martin29 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R Flowers:
Hey, I think we have conversed on here before.

Howdy Mr. Flowers. We have talked before. My name is Flowers as well and I am from Texas. Thanks for the .25/06 information. You have provided information to me on a bunch of other calibers as well. I can't seem to find that perfect caliber, so I am slowly working my way through all of them.

I was thinking about a Remington 700 originally, but am real attracted to the Ruger #1. It just looks great. A buddy of mine has one in .45-70 that shoots clover leafs at 100 Yards. Although he has free floated the barrel and done some trigger work. It seems to be a common thread with the Rugers that they are hit or miss when it comes to accuracy out of the box. I will have to give the rifle some thought, but definitely know it will be a .25 caliber.

I am very welcome to suggestions on the best rifle/.25 caliber combination. [Smile]

Thanks again for the info!

[ 06-05-2002, 02:27: Message edited by: Shark Bait ]

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
<waldog>
posted
Shark Bait,

Let me get in on this thread before it dies. I have shot the 25-06 for many years as have several close hunting buddies. My personal rifle in that calliber is a Ruger #1V.

I can't put my finger on it, but there is a definite attraction to those cute, compact, single shot rifles. And, for what you are looking to do, I think it will work perfectly. That said, I too have found mine to be supremely accurate (3/4" with handloads) as an out-of-the-box gun. As for the trigger, it's nothing you can't remedy yourself in a few minutes. Bedding/free floating on the fore end is likewise a snap. I use Burris Signature rings and never had a problem or POI change.

My #1 has worn several scopes and is presently scopeless. I'm thinking about a fixed power (6x,8x,or 10x) but we'll see....

Can't say that I've ever been handicaped by the thing being a single shot either. Infact, the 250lb whitetail I canned last december fell in his tracks before I could chamber another round! (reloading is easy to do quickly) Oh, and for all my varmint, deer, and antelope hunting I shoot the 100gr NBT with fabulous, consistant results.

You're gonna love this combination!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
SharkBait,

It's not stainless, but I have a 1V in 25/06 for sale if you're interested. It comes with 100 pieces of new brass and benchrest dies. $600 shipped to your FFL. If you don't want the brass/dies the price would be lower of course. My best friend bought this gun, with the expectation that I would handload for him. The darn thing has sat in his safe for 3 years and we never got around to loading for it. He now wants another .223 so he can shoot Black Hills reloads.

Pictures here:

http://photos.yahoo.com/rlipson_2000

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
Shark Bait - The Ruger #1 is definitely a nice looking rifle. I love the 25-06 cartridge
as I had a Rem700BDL in that caliber long ago. No p-dog within 300 yards ever got
away. Most within 400 yards were also history. Later got married, got hard up after
moving to Iowa where they are illegal for deer anyway, and sold it. Still kicking my
posterior over that dumb one.

Last year I got a T/C Encore 209x50 for deer hunting. It's the most accurate smoke
pole I've ever had, or shot for that matter. Later ordered a 25/06 T/C barrel for it.
Six and a half inch groups at 200 yards (started at 200 cuz I "knew" how accurate
the 25/06 round is). So if the Encore ever catches your eye, just get the action from
T/C, and get the barrel from VVCG or Bullberry. After a LOT of tricks, this rifle will
now get 3/4 inch groups, but I'm not really happy with that, either. I got a Tactical 20
barrel from VVCG and got an eigth inch three-shot group with it.

Moral of story? Just cuz she's purdy to yer eye, don't mean she's gonna be a shooter!

But if ya do end up getting one and she's not a shooter for ya, I learned quite a few
accurizing tricks for single shooters that might help ya.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote