Find
Notify
Tools

El Chubacapra
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Every couple of years I get a super mangy coyote on camera. This sequence of photos shows the most recent dog. I wonder how long it take for mange to kill them or do they recover? I assume they lay up with their mates to keep warm over the winter and thus spread the mites?

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In our climate, the outcome is inevitable, they die.

https://parasitesandvectors.bi...86/s13071-019-3340-z

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Poor guy. I hate to see any critter so miserable.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our coyotes in Eastern Colorado have had it pretty bad for the past 6-7 years.

Coyotes are resilient though. On a private ranch that I coyote hunt on, I had an almost black (sunburn?), mangy coyote cross the 2-track in front of us but could not get a shot.

Two months later, in late February, in the same area, I sat down to call and a 'black' coyote trots out of a brushy area, maybe 400+yds out, and will not stop for a shot.

The coyote in December, and this one, had a pinkish patch over the right hip area, so I figure it to be the same coyote.

What is fascinating to me is, we had 2-3 nights in a row, in early February, that got down to about -15F, and yet this mangy coyote was still alive.

Coyotes are nothing, if not survivors!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish they would all die, they are responsible for killing near 70% of our fawns.

Posts: 352 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil McFall:
I wish they would all die, they are responsible for killing near 70% of our fawns.

Last year I could hear a fawn screaming in the distance. I'm sure coyotes had caught it.

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil McFall:

God forbid predators are allowed to do what they do and exist. I think Missouri has enough deer.

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That's an interesting perspective on Missouri's coyote problem from a guy from Wisconsin.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure how I'm wrong, and last I checked, Missouri's deer population is doing good. Predators kill fawns, that's life. If you want real predator problems you can come get some of our coyotes, wolves, bears, bobcats, etc.

BTW I lived for 19 years in west central IL. Coyotes and deer a freaking plenty. If people want to get rid of more coyotes, buy some traps and start setting.

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
In central Iowa I've seen several totally hairless coyotes in mid summer. Clearly they have mange, how they live that long is beyond me.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 839 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot mangy, near hairless coyotes in Jan here. We go down to -40 during that time of year. I expect it burrows into snow covered brush with others, and uses communal body heat to survive.