THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Another scope question... Sightron mil-dots

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another scope question... Sightron mil-dots
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted
Ok. Another question for y'all. I've heard enough testimony, both on the Internet and locally, to be swayed that the Sightron SII scopes are worth getting, even if their spotting scopes were a POS. I've even come around to the idea that w/ some burris rings, I can get around the 1/8MOA clicks and the resultant loss of available minutes of elevation. The primary question in my mind now is: what about the mil-dot system on something like the SII4-16x44MD? I've seen a lot of references to an article here: http://www.snipercountry.com/Sightron_SII.htm

I know a lot of people, including myself, have been turned off of an otherwise fine scope by this piece. But digging a little further, I've seen inferences that the math used by the author was less than accurate, and that the mil-dots were just fine. In any event, I've heard rumors that the newer models w/ the Zact-7 coating have a 'correct' mil-dot reticle, irregardless of what may or may not been the case w/ the older ones (the article is from September 99). But I've yet to see any confirmation of this.

Has anyone out there actually tested the mil-dot system on a recent-manufacture Sightron scope? Does it subtend 3.6"@100yds like it should? Do range calculations come out correct? I realize that the magnification/mil ration may be off, say like 12x or 14x instead of a full 16x. That from what I understand is somewhat common in mil-dot variables. If anyone out there could shed some light on this subject, I'd appreciate it greatly.

TIA,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to the data on the Sightron webpage , the 3x12 and the 4x16 have the 3.6 inch spacing between dots @100 yards , when set at the top end power .........www.sightron.com

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
I got Sightron's phone # from their website, which is www.sightron.com I believe.

I called them and spoke to a man who seemed to be pretty instrumental in the company. He told me that there was in fact an error in the earlier Sightron mil-dot reticles, and that that has now been corrected, according to him about two years ago.

I'd check out that website, get the number, and call him. The scopes are made in Japan, but the company itself is in North Carolina.

Dan Newberry
green 788