New
Find
Notify
Tools

brand new 25-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
man i love this gun i just bought a brand new ruger m77 stainless 25-06 left hand modle i toped it with a bushnell elite 3200 scope with the new military/varmint style retical

the load im using is 57 grains of rel 19 with a nosler 85 grain balistic tip today at the range at 100 yards i shot 3.......375" groups......2.......500" groups......1.......650"

all groups 3 shot strings

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nitro, ENJOY that 25-06!! The load you're shooting looks awfully familiar to ol' GHD!! That's a varint load that I have seen work and recommended for a lot of 25-06's!! Now for a heavier bullet, try 49.0 grains of IMR 4350 and the 117 grain SIERRA SBT....I'll bet it will like that one too! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i bought this gun strikly for coyote so i figured id use the lighter ones no heavyer than the 100 grain barns triple shock at 3300+fps.

for deer i have me 375 h&h with 300 grain woolieghs.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep just another one of those horrible grouping Rugers. Wink

My son brought a No.1 in 25-06 and with out load development she will put 87 gr serrias into .750 and 120grs into under 1 inch.

the 25-06 sure flips p dogs.

Posts: 19326 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
A 85 gr. Nosler BT sure makes a mess out of a
wood chuck, too. I didn't see most of the
flip, but my brother did, and he was impressed!
So impressed in fact, that he came across a
deal on a M70, in .25-06 Rem, and it followed
him home. Nice rifle, but my Tikka M695,
shoots smaller groups. Big Grin

Squeeze

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hope you guys enjoy your Ruger .25-06s. I hate you! I have a Remington 700BDL in .25-06. that is the worse piece of crap I've ever owned. I'm a bug on accuracy so I have my rifle glass bedded, barrel floated and trigger lightened before I ever take it to the range. It's an extra out of pocket $250., but I feel it's worth it. I'm an experienced bench shooter, and it usually doesn't take me long to find a very good load. With this rifle the best I can do is 1.3". It doesn't do any good to complain to Remington. They'll say that's acceptable accuracy. I have lots of good, accurate Remingtons from the '80s, but unfortunately this isn't the '80s. Sorry to rant on, but this is really a crusher. I guess it's CZ and Tikka from here on out. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal, Sorry to hear of your misfortune!!! I had an ADL(1976) that would shoot the heavies(100-120"s) out of the box with only "floating, no bedding, into .7" or less!! Stick the 75's, 87's, 90's(Winchester doesn't make the 90 grain PEP anymore but that was undoughtedly the most impressive varmint bullet ever shot at a groundhog!!!!!! Nosler 85's, Hornady 75's and 87's take a back seat to that one!!!!) and it wouldn't do 1.5"!! I told the old guy who ran the gun shop(I helped him stock shelves and measure out powder from kegs for nothing....just to hang out there!!!)) that it wouldn't shoot and he said, "Pick out what you want!!" I said, "I want that 25-06 action and that piece of wood on That 30-06"! He said, "Switch 'em"! I did and that combo would do equally as well with lights as heavies!!! Around 5000 rounds thru it before it "gave up the ghost"!! Then it turned into a custom job with a Shilen barrel, custom stock, whatever! It still shoots!! Then on a whim I picked up one of the "bargain basement" STEVENS 200's just to test for the local shop........I can live with .7's with factory ammo for $259.00!! Or how about .143" with 75 grain VMAXs from a cheapo gun???? That one will ride in the truck, tractor, combine, whatever!!! And when old "Joe Varmint" peeks out, he will die!!(deers is varmints too you know!!) And as far as RUGERS go, the best shooting Rugers I have seen have been some of their early(and later) models in 25-06!!! And the only ENCORE barrels I've ever known of to be "sorry as dirt" were the 25-06's!!! Go figure!! Charlie (GHD)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with RL-19 and heavier bullets in my 25-06. I'm currently shooting RL-19 and the 115 gr VLD into groups averaging around .25" at 100 yards. I'm curious to mess around with this bullet and RL-22 a bit but i'll have to wait till the next gun show to pick up some powder. As far as the 85 gr Ballistic Tip goes, i've had exceptional results. My rifle LOVES H4350! Pushing about 52.3 grs of H4350 i'm getting 3398 FPS and shooting consistently at .200". I've shot several groups measuring in the .1's with it. This load performs pretty well for me, i've notched a 517 yard groundhog and a 623 yard crow with it. I've also ventured into playing around with the 75gr vmax here lately and i can tell you that if you want to see some devastation, shoot a groundhog about midsection with one of these things!!!! I'm shooting them into the .3's with 58.5grs of H4350 (see i told ya my rifle liked it!!) at a chronographed 3813 FPS average of 5 shots with a ES of only 4 FPS. Now, after shooting a groundhog at 101 yards with it, i'm going to tell you what, there was a 15 foot circle of blood and liquified tissue around that joker. The bullet hit him right between the front legs (it was standing up) and it literally tore that joker in half. I aint never seen something like that! I'm still in development with this load however, trying to tighten it up just a touch more but i think that it will do for now. Everything is loaded with Remington cases trimmed to length, sorted +/- .5% weight, primer pocket uniformed, chamfered, deburred and velocities are out of a 26" Hart tube (1:10" twist) on a rem 700 action. Overall, i've been very impressed with this rifle and this round. I think that i'm going to stick with the 85gr Ballistic tips but i'm currently doing a bit of load development to push them somewhere around 3500 fps or so. H4350 and Varget seem to be the ticket here for me and i've messed around with them with some pretty decent results but i've still got a bit of development to do with this loading. If i can help you with anything, let me know
Ruck

Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Picked up this Rem 700 CDL a few months ago and set about working up a load with the 100 grain Barnes TSX bullet. I settled on 53 grains of H4350 in Winchester cases. Pretty good shooting load. Ended up with a nice mulie on opening morning earlier this month. I really like the Rem 700 CDL, and see a whole lot of hunting in the future with the new .25-06! The rifle shoots well, handles well and looks good. I can live with that.

Probably not a lot of varminting with this sporter weight rifle, but some coyote hunting this winter for sure!

Regards, Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruck, Where'd you get that 25-06 you're shooting???? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin When are you going to get back home for a visit??? Little varmint season is about over!! Time to move up to the 100-200 lb varmints!!! "Betcha can't kill that one!!!" Put on the ear protection, cause you just challenged GHD!!! GHD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal--Look at the bolt locking lugs for even wear. I have two 700 Rem rifles that had only one lug contacting the action. After a gunsmith lapp the lugs the rifles would group under one inch. Some new Remington rifles needs a tune up ,adjust the trigger pull from about six lbs to three lbs,free float the barrel, glass bed the action and lapp the bolt locking lugs but the tune up will void Remingtons warrenty.

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
haha, GHD turned me on to this 25-06 and I'm sure glad he did! GHD, i am unsure when i'll be back around home, probably in about 3-4 weeks. They are keeping me rediculously busy down here for my senior year. The "little varmints" are still stirring around in a few places down here and i brought my rifle with me to take care of them! Now if i could only find the time to go shoot a few. I been messing around with the 100 gr Ballistic tips. I can get them to shoot into the .3-.4's pretty consistently adn i'm going to see if i can't shoot a few whitetails with it this fall. I'll try to get by and catch up with you sometime before thanksgiving.
Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 25-06 in Ruger 77 Mk II is a tack driver and seems to like anything I feed it. But I admit it also seems to prefer heavier bullets (100 to 120 gr) with either H 4831 or IMR 4350.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 25-06 has been my stick of choice for about five years. 58 grns of rel 22 under a 100 tsx will go under .625 for 5.
If I posted how many deer that load has killed on crop damage hunts you'd call me a liar.

700 ss/dm
good luck w/ the new toy
STevo

Posts: 81 | Location: nebr. usa | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote