New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prairie Dog Shoot Suggestions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My hunting group is trying to put together a prairie dog shoot for this spring/summer. There would be four shooters and we would preferably like to hunt within a full days drive from Illinois. 2-3 days shooting.

What suggestions for South Dakota, Kansas, Nebraska, etc do you experienced guys have?

Any thoughts on the Rosebud Sioux Res? I pheasant hunt near there but haven't researched it for PD's.

Thanks in advance.

RCG

Posts: 1128 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM Sent

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I used to go to the rosebud, near Winner (20 years ago), but most guys now go north to some grasslands; not familiar with that area. In SD.
I would call out there and talk to the game wardens.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There has been a lot of pressure on the Northern grasslands the past few years due to it being "open" land. Problem is you cannot leave a trail anyway but on foot. So the towns near the trails get a tremendous amount of pressure not knowing where the dogs might be makes hiking a very hit and miss idea. The Rosebud has still good shooting, but the Tribal government seems to change what can be done and how as the direction of the wind changes, so be sure and contact their Fish & Game dept. to be abreast of the current rules. Most of SD west of the river has PD populations to varying degrees, so there is lots of potential. ND has shooting on the Standing Rock Reservation and sporadic scattered towns west to the Badlands. Towns are mixed between private and public lands with the public getting quite a bit of pressure which means longer shots and lower volume of shooting. I have not traveled to Montana or Wyoming so have no firsthand knowledge.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for your thoughts and suggestions.

We found an outfitter in KS who seems to meet our needs based on recommendations and research. Booked a 3 day shoot for the end of May.

Appreciate the help.

RCG

Posts: 1128 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
We used to shoot Ks. but in the last 5-6 yrs. we have lost probably five thousand of acres(of dog towns) to poisining, which is all private land as there is no public land in Ks. as I'm aware of.
Be careful with the chosing a guide as most of his land is private and the landowner can allow anyone in. Been there done that! Luck of the draw! Be careful! Mack

Posts: 15 | Location: Va. | Registered: 15 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would stay off the reservations especially in South Dakota. They don't like white folks and just about anything they do on the reservation they fuck up.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As said, the reservations are about like Chicago Democrats, SNAFU, situation normal, "all F**d up." But the Rosebud does market. Had a Fed tell me, one year long ago, that two groups of Indians were in Washington DC, one sought money to promote p'dog shooting, the other sought money to kill/poison them all to make better pasture... !! Had a friend explain that Uncle Sam ordered the Indians onto the Reservations (REZ, slang) the better informed came in and got settled east to west. Pine Ridge got the last and least cooperative and they are still pouting (and drinking beer, search "white clay, ne").

Regrettably, NE is lame. Huge area called "the sand hills" and they are huge hills of sand. Alledgedly blow out of the inland sea that was the SD Badlands, now Badlands Nat. Park. P'dogs do poorly. Tunnels collapse. Outside this area, very good populations but law required 100% kill by 1 Nov each year. No one did but no one talked to avoid legal hassle. Silence still reigns.

Public land in KS, Cimmaron Nat. Grassland, SW corner. Web site asked that the p'dogs not be shot... Outside the park, ag folks begging...

Been a big/HUGE drought. P'dogs do poorly. Drink dew on grass. No dew, they dehydrate...

Reportedly there was a 'dog town in Wyo between Douglas and Newcastle that was 26 miles in diameter. This is beyond your one day travel request. Montana has similar but again, farther Zortman, used Blackfoot Rez.

SD and ND you need to get about half way across the state. Pierre, SD and the Lower Brule Sioux/Lakota rez is an option.

VHA, Varmmint Hunters Assoc., Pierre, SD, is a good resource, although very commercial. Hit the web site and if within your budget, might want to join.

Standing Rock is on the east edge of things in ND. As you go west, outside the T. Roosevelt Nat. Park, repeat OUTSIDE the park, lots of grassland.

As suggested the best source of exact data, current data is the locals. Gov. hunter/trapper if you can find him/her. Small town diners. Feed stores. Some chambers of commerce. Now you go to the government office and you risk finding a bunny hugger who will not only refuse to help but may cuss at you too, to make points with Wash. DC, etc.

I was in Wyo couple decades back. Uncle Sam could give out name and address of ranchers begging for shooters. Yes, I said "begging." But could not give out phone numbers. Guess what. The list, 3 pages typed, was kept laying on the phone book and you had to look up the phone number yourself... Gov. efficiency. !! Luck. Happy trails.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the info. I initially looked into Rosebud as I hunt pheasants near there every year.

As mentioned, based on references and especially a fellow AR members personal experience, we are all set for a KS shoot.

I appreciate all of the comments.

RCG

posted Hide Post
Last year Lower Brule closed the entire reservation to prarie dog shooting to all but tribal members, wasn't much to it anyway!! Recieved notice in mail last spring.
Mack

Posts: 15 | Location: Va. | Registered: 15 March 2009Reply With Quote