Find
Notify
Tools

6 mm Rem./coyotes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted
I want to extend my hunting and do set ups for coyotes...at all ranges of course. I find the .22 calibers a little boring and have owned and shoot a lot of them. (they are fun just not what I'm looking for in a varmint rifle this time. Work has supplied me with a few hundred dollars in Bass Pro gift cards. Smiler I want to get a Remington 700 heavy barrel .243 and rechamber in 6 Remington or 6 A.I., I have both reamers and the knowledge and machines to do so. My first tuperware rifle. I am not wanting to save the pelts and looking for less wind drift and a little heavier bullet weight, and dead in the dirt fast. SO, anyone shoot the 6 for this type of shooting and if so is it what you wanted it to be?I like the 6 over the 243 for it neck length and a few more grains of powder. If I like it well enough it will end up being just a 700 action and new bbl and stock and so on if it works like I'm thing it will...but stock at first for a test drive. Question, do you think a 6 or 6 A.I. would make a dang nice coyote rifle. I have shot paper because I have put a few together around here for people who deer hunted with them, most have been very accurate. O.k. I'll shut up...GO!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 rifles dedicated to coyote hunting (Ruger M77 in 22Hornet, Sako L461 in 222remmag and T-C Icon in 243), but if I had to pick just one, I would pick the 243.

It just flat knocks them out and extends the range of clean kills by a few hundred yards.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yes . . . I have a 6mm built on a Schneider barrel on Mod 98 action, and it is fiendishly accurate.

With it's 1:12 twist, it shoots very accurately every bullet I've tried up to the 95gr Nosler's.

Hard to imagine a coyote surviving a 6mm load optimized for coyotes.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feed back, I like the six and may just go ahead with the Ackley, not that it's all that much of a gain but it is easy on brass.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You won't be able to rechamber a .243 to 6mm Rem without setting the barrel back somewhat due to the greater taper of the 6mm. A 6mm AI reamer might clean up a .243 chamber, but it depends on how oversized the factory chamber was to begin with (and they are usually somewhat oversized.)

I find the 70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip or Sierra Blitzking to shoot to the same POI in my .243's and 6mm's. Either is a great bullet for any varmint, particularly coyotes. You can get up to between 3500 and 3600 fps with either the .243 or 6mm.

In reality, the difference in velocity between the .243 and 6mm or 6mm AI is within the variance of different barrels. By that I mean that if you happen to have a "fast" barrel in a .243 it may yield velocities virtually the same as a "slow" barrel in a 6mm AI. But if you like the longer neck of the 6mm case, go for it. I've shot all three and find the differences in them negligible. A coyote will find even less difference than I do.

Posts: 13216 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I re-barreled a 243 with a #5 contour stainless barrel again in 243. I have a load with H4350 under Barnes 80 grain TTSX. It will stack one on top of the other and it definitely wont save any fur. It shoots the 58 grain Varminator and the 72 grain Varminator good but not quite as good as the longer 80 grain bullet. It is a 1-10 twist. I believe the TTSX load would work well for both deer and antelope as well. I have a hornet, 223, 22-250, and the 243 for Varmints. If I had to do it again I would get the 22-250 as a 6mm and have the 243 too. I like em both.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6mm varmint special I've owned since about 1986. Lots of coyotes, bobcats and deer not to mention antelope in Wyoming. The wife kind of took it over for a while till she got her 308. Just a super good gun and easy to load for.
okie

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 580 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a very nice flat bolt Ruger tang safety in 6mm, but I had to sell it when I was unemployed for a few months. I really regret it - it was a great shooter with either the 70 gr Sierra Blitzking or 75 gr V-Max. I now have a .243 Tikka T-3 Lite that shoots a bit better, but I miss the 6mm!

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a chamber cast first, as already mentioned it depends on the dimension of the factory chamber. I have a new 243 take off I was going to rechamber to 6MMAI, but the base diameter of the existing 243 chamber is .005 larger than my 244AI reamer (6mmAI) and .008 larger than the new brass. I am going to rechamber this barrel to 6/284, it will easily clean up the 243 chamber and should create plenty of "red mist".

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
DuaneinND, I have a 338/284 so the 6/284 should be a blast...pun intended.

One of Us
Picture of wolfhunter 2
posted Hide Post
I have shot lots of coyotes started with 243 baught a custom 6mm witch worked well back to the 243 70 gr nosler work very well on coyotes shot one last night the 70gr have a nice thwak sound comming back at you with a good hit. Kevin

Posts: 155 | Location: mn | Registered: 08 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did something similar to your plans, that is build a 6MM coyote rifle.
I bought a Rem 700 stainless sporter 30-06.
Had the barrel replaced with a Shilen barrel in 6MM and had it chambered in 240 weatherby.
It has a Mcmillan stock and Leupold 4.5-14X scope.
No alterations to the action were needed.
It has worked well on coyotes with 70 grain ballistic tips.
And it had worked well on deer and antelope with 95 grain ballistic tips.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2630 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
df06 that pretty much sounds like what I had in mind when I did get it up and going.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The difference will be the action length, the '06 action is longer than the .243. Re-barreled to 6mm Rem the longer action might give you more options with long bullets seated out (not your goal) and the shorter action may give more reliable feeding when the odd pack of coyotes charges you (not likely). In reality either will work.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have had several bigger 24's Stonecreek mentions over the years and I'm right with him on the subject. Not much difference in them really, certainly not enough to make a difference in the field. Great bullets available for the long-range game for them, one of my fav's being the 87 V-Max. Buddy of mine shoots it out of his 243 AR-10 and has many 1st shot connections as far out as 800ish.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Lots of good feedback...Thanks!
When I said I'd do pretty much the same in a set up I was thinking...
Stainless short action 700 Rem.
Holland or like recoil lug.
Sheilen .243 Stainless select match bbl.
Timney trigger.
Manners mcs-t3 stock or something in that ballpark.
Leupold 4x12 or something like such.
Oldest daughter said she not shooting her Ruger 243 at the moment and to use her rifle until I get mine done...Smiler.
Still going with the 6 AI, just a round I'm use to and like and have played around with a few times myself.
I've always wanted to build myself a plastic rifle just could never do it because I'd always find a nice stick of walnut. I want this for all kinds of weather and if I have a mind to I could throw some paint on her.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of the 6MM remington just not in a short action. You just have to seat bullets too deep into the longer case in a short action so I built my 6MM on a Mauser action and my 243 on a M700. For a short action a 243 AI would be a better choice.

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I got short action on the brain...meant to say long. Glad I wasnt at the counter making my purchase! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I have a mexican Mauser that would be real nice for this...but for some reason I feel the need to go modern, stainless, and plastic...Smiler.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This IS the internet, so please indulge me as I channel "that guy"...

Another guy touched on it, but have you considered the other big 6, the 240Weatherby? There was a bit of hoopla over the 257W a while back in the gun rags, but they also slipped the 240 into the Howa/Vanguards.

buds

Perhaps a slight tweak in your thinking vis a vis the gift cards? You're considering a "weapons system"; reallocate the cards for optics?

Cheers! Sounds like the start of a fun journey.

Posts: 188 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 12 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Wooky 76, your right it could go to optics, or it could go to a stainless 243 and play there or do something in another 6. It could also go Ar15 or an AR10. Got more gift cards coming actually,so I guess you could say I'm just talking out loud. I'll wait until the Christmas thing is over before I even venture into the store and all card are collected.Problem is Im all over the map at this point and just need to give it some time...like a kid in a candy store at the moment. Wink

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I'm not much of a Weatherby fan...meaning I'd go Ackley before Weatherby, "that kind of guy". The 6mm Ackleys I've made in the past were on 1909 Arg. actions, never on a Remington. Looks like cases may be a problem in some of the recent research I've done. I still think a 6mm would be the ticket to what I want. Either a factory 243 (with upgrades because I can not leave one alone) or something up to the Ackley. Looked at custom actions but I can do alot of my own work on a factory action and have less in it...except time! I'm talking myself back into the 6...Smiler.
So, does everbody use a standard hunting weight barrel or do you use the varmint weight. I wouldnt want to go to heavy if I was doing several sets in a day, and I dont see where you would heat up a barrel like you might on a prairie dog town. I could even do flutes as I have the knowledge and mill to do so and have done some on 22 lr's before, on bull barrels to lighten them up but still have a fat barrel.
Better yet lets post some pictures of your coyote rifle(s). Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
df06,

what velocity were you getting?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't recommend a Remington, but a 6mm is good coyote medicine. Shot my first coyote with one in 1968. Was built on a Mauser action. Timney trigger.

Posts: 9969 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with a 243, 6MM, 257 Roberts, or 25/06 for a long range coyote gun.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norseman, I am getting about 3750 FPS with 70 grain ballistic tips. Some loads just over 3800, but bolt lift is a little sticky.
I do have a 26" barrel, which should be helping velocity.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2630 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am waiting on my Greg Tannel smith Borden action with a 30" Broughton bull barrel with a 1:8.5 twist to launch 105 Berger hybrid strictly for coyote hunting. I am hoping for 3400 FPS.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Norsman, did you get it? Would like to see pictures of it and are you getting the 3400 with the 105s. Almost picked up some 108 grs. the other day but didnt want to get the horse before the cart, got action and barrel. Trying to make a decision on a glass stock and scope next.

One of Us
Picture of BoomRM
posted Hide Post
I went through the heavy, long barrel rifle phase for coyote hunting for several years before the light bulb turned on in my head. Why lug around a railroad tie from stand to stand when 99% of my shots were under 100 yards and usually on a brisk move? Picked up a Model 70 FW in .223 WSSM at just over 7 pounds and haven't looked back. Good choice on a 6mm, though. It'll knock 'em flat.....

My .25-06 shoots 1/4" all day long.....

Posts: 82 | Location: Utah | Registered: 29 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Boom, thats a nice looking rifle and I've built several rifles for people over the years and seems most come back wanting something done with the barrel because their pick on contour was to heavy even after being advised otherwise. I'm after a 600 yard just for target fun gun and up to 1000 yds., and a coyote over kill rifle.Fiberglass stock...somewhat heavy barrel with deep flutes...I flute mine different...Smiler. I have it pictured in my head and when finished I'll post pictures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with previous posts, you won't see a big difference from .243 to 6AI especially with 70/80 grain bullets. There is a noticeable difference with the 240Wby. and right now 240 brass is easier to come by. Another very accurate dog treat is the Sierra 85 grain HPBT Gameking. They are a little tougher and controlled in the expansion department, but you'll still get a mess on the other side. They would also be great if you came across a coyote the size of say...a wolf. Wink

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
Norsman, did you get it? Would like to see pictures of it and are you getting the 3400 with the 105s. Almost picked up some 108 grs. the other day but didnt want to get the horse before the cart, got action and barrel. Trying to make a decision on a glass stock and scope next.

3 more month's!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post

6mm Ackley on Remington 700 long action, Bartlein 1/8 twist in a Sendaro contour fluted to end of barrel. PTG bolt stop and their 3 position safety. Shilen gold varmint trigger.Weaver 20 moa 1 peice base and Weaver rings. Leupold VXR 4x12x40 firedot LRV. McMillan stock.Badger extractor. 1/4" Holland recoil lug. All work done was by me except for fluted bolt.

I've only got to get it out one time, weather has been nothing but rain and high winds. Got it out to the range one windy day (28mph gusts) and shot some 107 grain serria's. 47 grains of reloader 22...loved this load Smiler off to a good start.

QUESTION: I want to use a varmint bullet for coyotes and the only thing I have found so far is 80 grainers...Will these shot in the 1/8 twist barrel or should I just use a good 100grain hunting bullet. Was wanting to push their nose out there asshole Wink. Anyway anybody shooting coyotes in a 1/8 twist barrel and what bullet is working for you?

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post

Fire forming to Ackley with 47 grains of Reloader 22 and Serria 107 grain bullet. 28 mph gust from left and behind me when I shot this three shot group.
This was bullets # 8/9/10...only shot 10 rounds total...weather was a little rough.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post