Find
Notify
Tools

Hunt coyotes 12 months?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted
Do you hunt 12 months of the year or just when the fur is prime.

I can't hunt 12 months because of the season in my state, other wise I would.

Saw a dead deer a couple days ago in the neighbors hay field looked like it had been dragged aways.
Next morning it was totally gone with drag marks where the hay was matted down.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Down here in Texas, shooting coyotes for most folks is a 24/7/365 proposition, and most of us do just that.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Down here in Texas, shooting coyotes for most folks is a 24/7/365 proposition, and most of us do just that.

100% correct, I shoot them anytime and any place I see them. Too many of them and they are getting more brazen, earlier this year I shot 7 of them from my bedroom window over a space of 5 days.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ND is a sunrise/sunset/7/365 state. I carry a rifle year around for the purpose. We can shoot at night during the winter, but not allowed to use artificial light.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any time any chance I get here in Wis.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll take a shot at them any time of year. However, I only actively hunt them in the fall/winter.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I view the coyote which is new to us in New England to be a pest.

I will shoot them whenever it's ok.

They have eliminated woodchuck hunting.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
I call them from dec to feb. And leave them alone the rest of the year.
I really enjoy the hunting them in the cold and snow without anyone else around.

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:

Same here and we still have lots to spare. Thinking with the ever expanding population, the rest of you will soon be able to hunt year round as well.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
We get together just about every day of the week when the seasons are open to hunt them. Of course we do not all have the opportunely to go out every day but with all 6 of us retired we can usually find one or two partners for a morning and or evening hunt.

Big Grin Al

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I used to hunt them in the late winter. Now I just set traps, much more effective for cleaning them out of an area.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's to hot during the summer months for me to chase them. I only hunt them when it's cooler. It's not to say that if I were to see one while i'm out and about I wouldn't shoot it though.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I don't hunt them during the spring/early summer when they're denning and the pups are dependent.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt them in Texas and Idaho year around, mostly as targets of opertunity as they sure need culling..

When pelts were worth good money (about a $125.00) I only trapped and hunted them during the winter months on the 75,000 ac. ranch I had leased for hunting and cattle back in the 70s near the Big Bend National Park in Texas.

Im with fjold, I don't shoot bitch coyotes with pups or any other animal for that matter..besides that in time will ruin the hunting..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take a couple trips a year to good calling country between Dec and mid Feb. Usually call 2-4 days and kill a few. I really don't have year round opportunity.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
They are considerred a varmint so year round open season in Iowa. What is your favorite call to bring them in?

Posts: 1 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Back in October we apparently had an alpha male move in the neighborhood and start living scat piles to mark his territory.

One morning before daylight as I was getting ready to get in the truck and go to work he howled.
I answered his howl and 4 different packs started howling in close proximity.
He and I kept howling at each other and really stirring up the packs until I said something wrong in my howl and all sent SILENT.

Seems to be less around since deer season started, but had some in the driveway the other night.

Now that deer season is ended, I am going to break out the calls and start looking for them.

Pelts won't be worth a whole lot here, but surely I will get my skinning/prep time paid for at least at minimum wage.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Idaho, every one I see...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
I use all kinds of calls from squealing rabbit to yappy ankle biting dog, squawking chickens, and once even a angry wood pecker

Big Grin Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my customers trained his dog to run out about 100 yds and begin yelping. He says the 'yotes can't resist it! The caveat is that you have to kill the coyote before it gets to the dog. Eeker

quote:
Originally posted by alleyyooper:
I use all kinds of calls from squealing rabbit to yappy ankle biting dog, squawking chickens, and once even a angry wood pecker

Big Grin Al

Posts: 3664 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arizona is all year daylight and some hunt units there is a night season. Just before the pronghorns give birth.
The coyotes are just as scrawny and mangy in the winter as summer.

Mark

Posts: 1227 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are fair game here 12 months a year...but I have a soft spot for them and give them a pass during spring when they are raising pups.

The spot hardens up at other times... Wink

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 23 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
24/7 here. There is a call in my pocket and several firearms in the truck at all times. Just got a new Foxpro, decoy, and a Wicked Light that hasn't even been in the field yet.

The pelts don't bring enough for me to warrant skinning any more but I sure enjoy shooting 'em; year round.

Don't see many does with 2 fawns and see several does with no fawns since they have gotten so thick. I wish the coyotes would kill more coons, possums, and skunks. Guess they will when they run outa deer.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
May be a reason why there are NO hen turkeys and when we did see some last summer NONE had poults.

Next week starts coyote elimination time for me in the neighborhood.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Our season is closed from April to July when they are raiseing pups. It is also the time when the fawns are still young, my live stock I tend to protect.
Heading out in just a bit, farmer with sheep a few miles up the road is seeing a pack of 6 on his farm and wants them gone.

Big Grin Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
May be a reason why there are NO hen turkeys and when we did see some last summer NONE had poults.

Next week starts coyote elimination time for me in the neighborhood.

Every day should coyote day.
Shoot them in September they are still dead in February

Mark

Posts: 1227 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
They’re really hard on the sows with young pigs - and I take that as a direct threat to my hunting business. I hit them as hard as I can all year round. They only get a pass if I have clients with me (and we need to be sneaky) or they’re in a rancher’s yard…

I have rotten success calling them in the late winter and early spring, but that doesn’t keep us from trying every chance we get.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I don't hunt them during the spring/early summer when they're denning and the pups are dependent.

Yea, we wouldn't want to do that. That's when their parents are out yanking
fawns out of birthing does.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It varies for me, depending on area and prices. Most of the time I'll shoot them year-round to help the fawn crop along. A guy can put a crimp in their numbers with a little focused June calling.

This winter my top pelts brought 175 bucks, although the average was closer to 100. With a heads-up due to last years prices it was practically a no brainer to shift the attention to prime time and go fishing in the spring.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nevada

365, no res. or non. res. license, lots of public land

Posts: 42 | Location: Goldendale Wa. USA | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only actively hunt them from Dec-March. But if I see one and I have a rifle in my hands, it's toast. There is no closed season on Coyotes in Pennsylvania.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chestermc:
Nevada

365, no res. or non. res. license, lots of public land

That's a fact, Jack!

I shoot everyone I can. Nice thing about Nevada is its 99% public land.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite call is a half grown Jack Rabbit, its the same call as a grown cotton tail btw..I also use a meadow Lark as they are abundant where I hunt. A litter of kittens is always a sure bet. A call needs to match the preditors geographical location as to what he hunts. What works in Idaho, might not work in Arizona for instance, often overlooked btw..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Old thread but we hunt them year round. If we are deer or hog hunting and we see a coyote it turns into a coyote hunt.

I remember elk hunting and one of the guys seeing a downed tree in the middle of a huge meadow and he was ready to end the afternoon with a coyote on the ground Smiler

I'm sure tanning pelts and selling hides is popular in a lot of states. They are just a nuisance animal here. We have a few large bobcat contests locally that pay around $30k-$40,000 but you must turn in 5 coyotes for your bobcat to be eligible. Some of those guys will only hunt their properties for varmints during the contest. Contest info is www.wtbbc.com (West Texas Big Bobcat Contest)

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead Eye:
I call them from dec to feb. And leave them alone the rest of the year.
I really enjoy the hunting them in the cold and snow without anyone else around.

It depends where coyotes are hunted as to when I hunt them. In the desert of far west Texas and all of New Mexico I will not shoot coyotes in Dec to early March. One reason is I'm not a fur hunter so the quality of the fur is not an issue, but mainly the reason I do not shoot them in that time period is the Bitches are in the dens with new pups, and very few females are out hunting, and the dogs are hunting to feed the dened up mother so she can feed her pups during that time. Most of the dogs do all the hunting during that period. If he is shot the female will not leave the den to hunt till the pups get big enough to feed on meat. This causes a lot of pups to die if no food comes for the mother she will go dry, and pups will starve.
The one case where this is not true is if the pair have year old pups that will hunt with their father to help feed the bitch and her new litter till the new pups are weaned.

Others may do as it suits, but that is my reason for not shooting them in the three winter months. Texas and New Mexico are yr round coyote hunting states. but in the deserts the coyotes do very little damage, so I just choose to leave them alone to raise their new pups, but give the adults hell in the rest of the year.

………………...Different strokes for different folks I guess!

………………………………………………………. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EVERYONE has their own excuses and reasons for blowing away the poor yodel dog and the only predators on 'yotes are humans and Wolves and since we humans basically kill everything in sight, we've killed all the wolves so the 'yotes just keep on proliferating.

Around my area of Southern Oregon it depends on the individual rancher...some let me hunt squirrels and say leave the 'yotes alone, others basically say if it isn't a cow/horse/ranch dog/sheep/goat...etc...make it go away. Many of the ranchers understand that the 'yotes do much more good than harm by reducing the animals that take food out of the mouths of their money crops...COWS...and dig holes that COST them money when stock step in the holes and break legs or toss a rider....SOME THINGS that many if not most city dwellers and a lot of country folk have no clue about but just have to brag about "killing dogs".

So what we have for the past 20 years I've lived here is an overabundance of rodents because of no predators and poison is used which also kills the hawks/owls and small predators and anything that eats a dead rat or a dead predator along with the poison.

I've have/had several packs I listen to at night...one that denned in a small hill 75 yds from my side fence and VERY FEW sage rats or chipmunks chewing the he** outta my vehicles wiring...I left them alone. Over a 5 year time frame they moved on and none ever returned...now I kill 50-300 rodents a year in the woods and fields around my place. I bought 2 PCP pellet guns to save money on the ammo and not scare them with the 22 cal noise. I could get a second shot anytime I messed up the first. I ALSO have huge grey squirrels girdling my trees and killing them and getting on the power transformers and killing the power, that the 'yotes kept away...I kill 10-40 of those bawstids a year also. I haven't even touched on the problem of disease such as Hanta virus, Silvanic plague or rabies inherent in the rodent/coyote/bat population that is exacerbated by indiscriminate killing.

We humans are just plain stupid...all you have to do is look at the world scene...and mindless to the extreme. KILL'UM ALL seems to be the motto of TOO MANY HUNTERS...ALL with perfectly acceptable(in their minds)reasons to go about blindly and without forethought, killing.

Yes..I kill a few 'yotes every year...EVERY time I see a pack after whelping time of more than 4-5 and also packs of dogs that run loose from humans driving out from town and dumping their unwanted pets.

Sadly...Where the 'yote population has gotten out of hand WE HUMANS need to do the predator-izing or find an other solution. 'Yote's have learned to be nocturnal and only the young or dumb come out during the day...WE TAUGHT THEM THAT. When I'm driving around the back roads and see a 'yote out, it is watching ME like a hawk...and the moment I start to slow down it's off like a shot...I KNOW that one's been shot at. Anyone that doesn't bother to look at me is young and dumb and won't last more than a few days before someone nails it.

I've watched 'yotes work a herd of cattle snatching up rodents kicked up by hooves and not bother with new borne's or after-birth and also watched 'yotes go after the after-birth AND a just dropped new born, but a good mother will take out a 'yote in a New York second if it bothers her calf and just watch it mousing or licking blood.

There is NO absolute answer unfortunately.

We keep killing them and killing them and killing them, but the population just seems to stay about the same...too bad that fact seems to fly by the general population...Just like the deer and antelope in some parts of the country...EVERYONE LOVES BAMBI...until Bambi eats their flowers, fruit and veggies or sticks a horn up their keester, or brings in Lyme disease.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
It is simply a matter of Personal Choice.

Truth and Reality are that when the Last Human in North America lays their dying asss on the ground, there will be coyotes watching them.

Living in an area where coyotes are abundant and people shoot them at every opportunity, with 50+ years of hunting experience, I have never noticed a decline in the population.

The last coyote I actually killed was about 1 year back. I see the things daily, but seeing them in a situation where I can shoot at them are few and far between.

Everytime one is taken out, a new one will fill the gap in short order.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alleyyooper:
Do you hunt 12 months of the year or just when the fur is prime.

I can't hunt 12 months because of the season in my state, other wise I would.

Are you sure?

I was pretty sure Michigan legalized year-round coyote hunting in 2016?

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have some coyote contests in Idaho, the winner takes all and at the end of the year he gets a Weatherby rifle or whatever.

On a good day those guys will shoot 15 to 25 coyotes, they are big time into calling..A good day for me is maybe 5 or 6 coyotes just driving around, and add 10 misses to that as they are running and may be 500 or more yards..but I only hunt them about once maybe twice a year..Anyone can hunt in that Owyhee desert, its mostly BLM land, Get a map and know where you are, but permission on private land seems easy to get on coyotes..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I hope your "hunting contests" go better than the ones they have around here. IMO nothing has made coyotes harder to hunt than the damned contests.

I've been in on a local contest for a few years and stopped participating a couple of years ago. There are around 100 hunters in this one. 75% of the guys won't bring in a single coyote.

Why? They don't take it seriously, blow calls from the truck, sit for 10 minutes and give up, don't pay attention to the wind, make noise going in and coming out, and can't shoot worth a damn.

Now you get a lot more coyotes that won't come to a call, many of them will start barking a warning as soon as they hear a pre-programed call from an electronic caller.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote