Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 & coyotes
 Login/Join

posted
I’d like some advice on Bullets for coyotes in 22-250. Not worried about hides, but looking for DRT coyote. Rifle is a TC encore with 1-12 twist. Called in coyotes with a max range of 350 yards.
I’ve been using 55 gr soft points, but I’m open to something different.
Any advice?
Thank you

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve used both 40 and 50 grain Nosler ballistic tips. Can’t say that one was better than the other, as both were very accurate and very effective.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the advice

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Nosler B-tips in 22cal.

I've used B-tips, Vmax, Barnes X,XLC and TSX, and various softpoints.

We have had quite a few surface splashes with Vmax, especially in my son's 223wssm. B-tips don't do this much at all.

55gr is my preferred weight with B-tips, and it works just fine on coyotes.

B-tips and Vmax make the coyotes all stiff, and they tip over like an ironing board.

With softpoints, the front end goes down, then the hips, then maybe a tail flag. Still a quick kill, though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve been using 55 gr soft points, but I’m open to something different.

I'd be much more concerned about accuracy than terminal performance. A coyote is more difficult to hit than to kill. Just about anything you shoot out of your .22-250 will be quickly fatal if placed where it should go.

Posts: 13207 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always used a 52 gr. sierra BT HP in my 22-250's for about everything (varmints) just because it shot so accurate in my 22-250's.
I loaded up some trial loads with that newer CFE powder I have yet to try out.
Getting too hot here in Texas now...

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Depending on your rifling twist (1/12,1/14) a 52 to 55 G. would work just fine. And you're right, a coyote can be difficult to hit on the run but I have never found that an issue. At the risk of sounding like Ben Lilly, every rancher is more than happy if you kill off all the coyotes you see.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with the Winchester white box 45gr stuff.
300 yard clay pigeon shooting is pretty easy off a bench with them.
if your rifle is doing fine with the 55gr soft points I wouldn't bother looking for anything else, unless you just want a touch more speed, then switching to a 50gr soft point would get you that.

Posts: 4955 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
I have had good luck with the Winchester white box 45gr stuff.
300 yard clay pigeon shooting is pretty easy off a bench with them.
if your rifle is doing fine with the 55gr soft points I wouldn't bother looking for anything else, unless you just want a touch more speed, then switching to a 50gr soft point would get you that.

I use Win white box in my Mini-14 .223. Kills 'em.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot these this past week. 40 gr of CFE 223. 75F. Winchester brass, Rem 9 1/2 primer. Chrono (Oehler 35: 3970 FPS) in a Browning 78. Also shot a heavy barrel Browning Safari grade but did not chrono that gun. Both guns just clover leafed or practically one holed groups at 100 yds. Just shot 4 rounds in each gun: That was enough!
Gives you a lot of confidence..
We have more pigs than coyotes these days. Guess I will go for pig head shots. Feed the coyotes wild pork and maybe they will leave the livestock and deer alone??

EZ

quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Always used a 52 gr. sierra BT HP in my 22-250's for about everything (varmints) just because it shot so accurate in my 22-250's.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yep, Geneva be damned. I have seen what the ball ammo will do. Please hit me with a H.P.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
I shot these this past week. 40 gr of CFE 223. 75F. Winchester brass, Rem 9 1/2 primer. Chrono (Oehler 35: 3970 FPS) in a Browning 78. Also shot a heavy barrel Browning Safari grade but did not chrono that gun. Both guns just clover leafed or practically one holed groups at 100 yds. Just shot 4 rounds in each gun: That was enough!
Gives you a lot of confidence..
We have more pigs than coyotes these days. Guess I will go for pig head shots. Feed the coyotes wild pork and maybe they will leave the livestock and deer alone??

EZ

quote:

EZ

I like the 52 Gr Nosler. At the velocities it flies in my 22-250 or 220 Swift, it turns apples into apple sauce at 100 yds. Very accurate.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4856 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite bullet for coyotes and in fact deer with any hot 22 from the 222 to the 22-250 in my case is the Hornady 60 gr. HP or SP, both are equall in performance..For smaller than coyotes I use the 40 gr. Bal tips or sierras, whatevers handy..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sierra #1365 bt sp 55gr. IMR 4895 real good combo in my 22-250

Posts: 66 | Location: mn | Registered: 01 February 2018Reply With Quote