THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Bulding new rifle in .22-250 ,some advice please

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bulding new rifle in .22-250 ,some advice please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hallo to all

I am busy building a .22-250 on a Mauser 98 action , I got hold of a Wilson medium size barrel ( Ruger barrel ) or that is what I have been told by the smith. Now come your suggestions please . What type of stock size etc should I go for , ( I am still someone for wood please be easy on me ) . Also anything will help regarding accurizing my rifle with stuff I can do myself , I like to play around with things
. I plan to bed the Tang , Recoil Lug & the first inch or so after the chamber & have the barrle freefloating . Any thoughts on this or is there a better way of doing it

Thanks
Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin] Rudi check out these gun stocks if you are looking for wood. the 22-250 is an excelent varmint round sounds like you have a good plan, use brownell accuglass for the bed.
http://www.gunstocks.com/Great_Americax.html

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
Another source of reasonable priced wood stocks is boydboys.com - Just be sure when bedding your action you maintain the proper fit between the magazine box and the receiver.
www.duanesguns.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oooohweee

I just stumbled on a very nice stock this afternoon . It is a Walnut uninletted semi finished that i got out of my smiths basement . He was very reluctant to sell & I was very persistent [Big Grin] . The stock is off Weatherby style rollover comb design with a wide beavertail fore end , she is exactly what I have been dreaming about for this little varmint home project . In your oppinion will the inletting best be left to a stockmaker or can I do it myself , I have all the tools as I do quite some woodwork at home.

Regards
Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have all the tools as I do quite some woodwork at home
Rudie,

Not to discourage you from practicing BUT a stockmaker have all the tools and does more woodwork at a shop. Besides, who are you going after if YOU screw up the job? [Razz]

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote